How ‘no-knock warrants’ and police recklessness got an innocent woman killed

Chris0nllyn

Here's the search warrant.
https://www.documentcloud.org/docum...e-Metro-Police-Department-Search-Warrant.html

Looks like her car showed up at a house that was under surveillance. They ran the car, found her address, and found that as of February of this year, her address was also listed as her ex-boyfriend's (who was part of the surveillance).

They were able to get a no-knock warrant approved and executed on her house because he ex-boyfriend had her address listed as his in the databases the officer searched and "due to the nature of how these drug traffickers operate".

Last edited:

Hijinx

Wow, her car just shows up at drug dens. Needed to score, so started itself up and drove itself over to its dealer.

That's a helluva car.

There are other ways to go about it than to early morning knock down the freaking door.

BOP

Mistakes happen. It's just the way it is when humans are involved. I'm curious exactly how often it happens, though.

And did your friend sue the chit out of the county? Because I'd let someone rip me out of a shower and throw me on the ground for a few mil.
Shoot. #WishingIwasaMillionaire

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Was the Search Warrant for the Drug Raid That Killed Breonna Taylor Illegal?

Taylor had dated Glover, and they remained friendly, which would explain the contacts that Jaynes observed. In a May 15 interview with WDRB, the local Fox TV station, Tony Gooden, a U.S. postal inspector in Louisville, said city police had never consulted with his office about the packages Glover received at Taylor's apartment. Gooden added that a different law enforcement agency, which he declined to identify, had asked about the packages in January, when his office concluded "there's no packages of interest going there." My former Reason colleague Radley Balko, writing at The Washington Post, reports that "a source with knowledge of the case has since told me that the packages contained clothes and shoes."

Based on Jaynes' affidavit, Judge Shaw had no way of knowing about the relationship between Taylor and Glover, the contents of the packages, or the conclusion by the postal inspector's office that there was nothing suspicious about them. But if she had spent more time reviewing Jaynes' warrant applications, she might have thought to ask whether there could be an innocent explanation for the interactions between Taylor and Glover, which apparently had nothing to do with drugs. Although Jaynes presented compelling evidence of drug dealing by Glover, who was arrested along with Adrian Walker the same night that police killed Taylor, the detective's inferences about her were based purely on guilt by association.

"There was clearly no probable cause to believe drugs were being dealt from her apartment, and no probable cause that Breonna or her boyfriend were doing anything illegal," says Daniel Klein, a former Albuquerque police sergeant who writes about law enforcement issues, in an email. "Yet the assistant district attorney and the [circuit] court judge not only approved the warrant…they approved it to be a no-knock warrant executed in the middle of the night!"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is why I don't have any friends that operate outside the law - I don't want even a casual association to come back to haunt me.

Anyway, I still think this is what the bust it all up people should be rallying behind, not George Floyd and certainly not that dipshit in Atlanta. Maybe that's why the media isn't using Breonna Taylor as a focal point, though - your average ghetto shitbag can't relate to her because she had a job and appears to have been a decent human being.

Chris0nllyn

This is why I don't have any friends that operate outside the law - I don't want even a casual association to come back to haunt me.

Anyway, I still think this is what the bust it all up people should be rallying behind, not George Floyd and certainly not that dipshit in Atlanta. Maybe that's why the media isn't using Breonna Taylor as a focal point, though - your average ghetto shitbag can't relate to her because she had a job and appears to have been a decent human being.

That's the whole problem. The rubber stamping of no-knock warrants because of a "casual association". Why on earth whould that be the only driver for getting that warrant?

Why shouldn't the police have to do some freaking leg work in order to secure a warrant instead of saying "based on my training these folks are bad, trust me"?

But this whole situation right now is why nothing will change. Incidents like this highlight the need for real reform, but folks would rather focus solely on the tards in Seattle as the example of what is being proposed. Ignore these instances as one-off things rather than asking "why did a judge only need 12 minutes to approve 4 no-knock raids"? Where's the oversight?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Detective Joshua Jaynes obtained the search warrant for Taylor's apartment based purely on guilt by association, citing her contacts with a former boyfriend, Jamarcus Glover, who was arrested along with another suspect the same night for selling drugs from a house more than 10 miles away.

Taylor had no criminal record, and there was no evidence that she or Walker was involved in drug dealing. "There was clearly no probable cause to believe drugs were being dealt from her apartment, and no probable cause that Breonna or her boyfriend were doing anything illegal," says Daniel Klein, a former police sergeant who handled many drug investigations during his 20-year career in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Nor did Jaynes' affidavit cite any evidence specific to Taylor that would justify a no-knock warrant. USA Today reports that Jefferson County Circuit Judge Mary Shaw approved that warrant, along with four others involving Glover and his alleged drug-dealing partner, "within 12 minutes."

https://reason.com/2020/06/24/breonna-taylor-and-the-moral-bankruptcy-of-drug-prohibition/