How about that free British health care

glhs837

Power with Control
My new boss told me the other day that the NHS is one of the best health care systems on the planet. With a straight face. This lady, well, imaging costs money....... Love the hospitals response that she didnt complain loudly enough......

Hijinx

Blame this on free British Health Care, but in fact this could happen anywhere.
Health Care aint what it used to be.

Call your doctor here in America tomorrow, and the first thing you will hear is If this is an emergency go to the ER. Then you start listening to the menu --perhaps telling you to push 1 for English, but in any case ---the menu. If you finally get a person, that person may not even be in the Doctors office, but part of an answering service run by Medstar or some other bunch. They may tell you the first appointment is in a week. They really do not give a flying crap that you are hurting now and need a Doctor. The Doctor will see you in a week and if you want car go to Urgent care, then come back for that weekly appointment and tell the Doctor what Urgent care decided.

They want to be your primary, but in effect Urgent Care is your primary and this guy or girl just sits back for regular appointments and rakes in the gravy . Or else they make sure you get to see every Doctor in their group as they send you from one to the other. I am totally not sold that our health system is any better than anyone else's, even though it is a helluva lot more expensive.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Any questions you ever had about British medicine can be answered by observation of British dentistry.

glhs837

Power with Control

Call your doctor here in America tomorrow, and the first thing you will hear is If this is an emergency go to the ER. Then you start listening to the menu --perhaps telling you to push 1 for English, but in any case ---the menu. If you finally get a person, that person may not even be in the Doctors office, but part of an answering service run by Medstar or some other bunch. They may tell you the first appointment is in a week. They really do not give a flying crap that you are hurting now and need a Doctor. The Doctor will see you in a week and if you want car go to Urgent care, then come back for that weekly appointment and tell the Doctor what Urgent care decided.

They want to be your primary, but in effect Urgent Care is your primary and this guy or girl just sits back for regular appointments and rakes in the gravy . Or else they make sure you get to see every Doctor in their group as they send you from one to the other. I am totally not sold that our health system is any better than anyone else's, even though it is a helluva lot more expensive.
I do very well with my Doctor, well, CNP now that Doctor Brown isn't in practice anymore. I dont expect them to see me immediately, I will go to urgent care or the E room depending on whats up. When I needed a scan on my neck, I had an order in less than two day. An ultrasound for my back, same deal. My brother on medicare, he gets pretty damn good care. Better than my childhood buddy who is on a First Nations Res on Nova Scotia, who had to wait a year for rotator cuff surgery.

WingsOfGold

Could happen anywhere, my 2yo granddaughter really had stunted growth. Repeated trips to RX and found nothing. ER trip she was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Emergency surgery and lengthy kemo ect and removal of one ovary fast forward she's healthy as an ox. Prayers and medicine do sometimes work!
1654463529583.png

1654463201760.png

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Could happen anywhere, my 2yo granddaughter really had stunted growth. Repeated trips to RX and found nothing. ER trip she was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Emergency surgery and lengthy kemo ect and removal of one ovary fast forward she's healthy as an ox. Prayers and medicine do sometimes work!
Here you have the option to go to another doctor, there I don't think you do.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Which it is why everyone should be, or start, eating, as much as possible, an all natural diet. With lots of natural fats such as animal fats, real butter, oily fish like sardines, real cold pressed olive oil, avocados. And to avoid like the plague any and all processed foods, refined carbohydrates and sugars. The human body's preferred source of energy is fats. Fats keep blood sugars low while providing the energy for the body to function. While refined carbohydrates and sugars spike blood sugar levels that necessitate the pancreas to excrete enzymes, insulin, to move the sugar out of the blood and into fat cells. And then after a while of bad eating, people develop insulin resistance, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and a whole host of other inflammatory problems.

"Health care" is an individual responsibility. Medical care, or medial insurance, or the need for medical intervention, is something entirely different.

SamSpade

Its funny how the Brits can degrade the US but don't you talk bad about the UK.
They're not crazy about their own, either. Most articles I've read about government health care totally dodge mentioning NHS in the UK.

There are HUGE gaps in most of the much vaunted government run health cares in Europe. France doesn't rate as highly as it once did - it doesn't always get good health care for the poorest citizens. Canada gets poor marks across the board for safety, efficiency and timeliness. When it comes to access, the UK comes in dead last - even after *us*.

When the government has to pay for care for everyone - and everyone has varying degrees of need - you WILL pay for it somewhere. Someone doesn't get it; someone has to wait longer - or in some cases, forever, because the system doesn't think it's a good choice; some will get less quality care. And so on. You simply can't give everyone the best there is, all the time and in timely fashion.

It's the same as everything else - good, fast, cheap - pick two.

Clem72

Of all the government run heatlh care systems - the UK's is probably the worst.
I think the "worst" part of it is in the extremes of care, people with expensive or difficult to treat issues. I had a co-worker break her arm while we were in London around 25 years ago. After asking if she had insurance (which she was supposed to, but did not) the triage/checkin person scanned a barcode on the wall like the checker at food lion if you don't have their card, and she was treated for free. Had to pay a few bucks for her prescription pain meds though.

Clem72

When it comes to access, the UK comes in dead last - even after *us*.
I have always been confused by this metric. healthcare in the US can be accessed by anyone, ANYONE, regardless of ability to pay. Now, if you have that not-so-rare combination of a little bit of money but no health insurance, then you might be in for a nice chunk of debt. But poor people have zero issues with access.

That debt may be a reason to lower our ranking, but it wouldn't/shouldn't be under the "access" category.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Hey! How about this. For about $12,000 a year, one could get this brand new drug for Type-2 diabetics, that will help shed those pounds.
Or .... One could be disciplined enough to stop stuffing their face with processed foods, refined carbohydrates, and sugars, and use that money to buy wholesome natural foods to reverse their Type-2 diabetes on their own.