How come?

SamSpade

I bought - many years ago, when I first began telework - a computer I thought would last a good long time. I wanted to be sure it was close to the very best - the best I could afford. And I pushed that.

It of course, has since become my MAIN computer - bills, correspondences, HERE, reading and so forth - and needed for most if not all of them are -

Passwords. And usernames.

So I upgrade to a truly badass machine to handle everything. Enormous storage. Huge memory. Fast graphics and a fast SSD.

And I am thinking - crap - now I will have get all the stuff from the old one.

Evidently - NOT.

How does THAT happen?

I go to this or that site and boom - my obscure username is already in the box - and the password already.
I even went to a web page I haven't been to in YEARS - and my user stuff is already there.

So - how come? How does the new computer KNOW stuff that my old computer knew? Is there some - thing - out there that says oh this MAC address or this email address has all these passwords?

How does it know? It's a little scary to me. It even had my access numbers for the bank.

PeoplesElbow

You told your browser to save the info and you logged into it.

Or you told windows to do the same and logged into your MS account.

SamSpade

It freaks me out to think that Microsoft - if they wanted to - could easily get into all my personal stuff. Here I thought, at least, my stuff was on my actual machine.

Clem72

It freaks me out to think that Microsoft - if they wanted to - could easily get into all my personal stuff. Here I thought, at least, my stuff was on my actual machine.

To be fair, if that info is stored on your computer someone need only hack Mr Spade to get it. If its stored with Microsoft, they have to hack Microsoft.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Google archives info too. Ever do a search on your laptop, then do a search on your Android phone? The search history is on both even tho you only did a particular search on one of them.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Google archives info too. Ever do a search on your laptop, then do a search on your Android phone? The search history is on both even tho you only did a particular search on one of them.
:yeahthat: I was freaked out the first time this happened to me. I never save my CC information on vendor websites, because Google Chrome does it for me, if I okay it. That's why I've started using my savings account to hold the bulk of my paycheck until bill time. With Navy Federal, I can transfer money on the fly from my phone app. I've never exceeded the max amount of transactions (if they have one), but I have very few bills to pay. With Google Chrome I can link my account to any web device I use. Very convenient and very unsecure.

SamSpade

To be fair, if that info is stored on your computer someone need only hack Mr Spade to get it. If its stored with Microsoft, they have to hack Microsoft.

I am kind of thinking that means if someone plans to hack my machine - they need to have a reason. As in, they know it will be worth their while. (And honestly, it's not.) But it seems to me if my information resides outside my means to control, then I can't protect it at all, can I?

I guess I used to think if I erased all the cookies and stuff on my machine - then it's all gone, right? I'd have to start from scratch.

THIS - means it's not.

PeoplesElbow

I am kind of thinking that means if someone plans to hack my machine - they need to have a reason. As in, they know it will be worth their while. (And honestly, it's not.) But it seems to me if my information resides outside my means to control, then I can't protect it at all, can I?

I guess I used to think if I erased all the cookies and stuff on my machine - then it's all gone, right? I'd have to start from scratch.

THIS - means it's not.
Both are actually pretty good at allowing you to delete stuff.

I'd be more inclined to trust Microsoft than Google.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I am kind of thinking that means if someone plans to hack my machine - they need to have a reason.

Indeed .... you are more likely to get a Phishing Email than suffer some direct attack on your PC

Other possibilities websites serving up compromised content ...

# 3, 4 and 10 for most home users

Last edited: