How did the Flat Iron Farm show & Holly Point Dressage show go?

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Wish I had, had time to get down that way this weekend. It sure was a nice weekend for both events. Hope both events had a great turn out.:yahoo:

Last edited:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
WHat a nice weekend for shows. Today I actually felt a little hot in all of my layers. It was nice not to have to run the show. The dressage instructors and owners did a fabulous job with all of their efforts to put it on. I am so glad it went well for them. I know how stressful it can be. I am glad they had the support from the dressage community!:yahoo:

DQ2B

Can someone tell me if Holly Point uses a standard size dressage arena or is it the small?

W

WhoCares

The Flat Iron show went well. We did end early since the Western classes were cancelled. We had good numbers, and it was a beautiful day but cold.

Next month is our Holiday theme. The farm is decorated for Christmas, and the 1st place winners get holiday themed treats for the horses.

Trying2Ride

I am bummed. I missed both. I have 2 out 3 sick w/ something I DON'T want. I have been Mr. Clean all weekend, opps actually Mrs. Clean

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
The Flat Iron show went well. We did end early since the Western classes were cancelled. We had good numbers, and it was a beautiful day but cold.

Next month is our Holiday theme. The farm is decorated for Christmas, and the 1st place winners get holiday themed treats for the horses.

You guys did a great job with the set up, thanks for all your hard work! Nice casual environment to train the youngins!

morganhorse

It was a gorgeous weekend for a fall show and I was surprised that more people didn’t come to the Flat Iron Farm show. This show would be wonderful for anyone with green horses who need to get more exposure and/or time in the ring before the larger and more expensive summer shows next year.

This was my first time at Flat Iron and I have to say that it is a beautiful facility! The driveway into the farm is impossible to miss and the parking lot is large enough to swing any size rig around with ZERO problems (great for those who aren’t too comfortable backing their horse trailers). The indoor arena was a comfortable temperature complete with mirrors and nice soft footing.

The biggest suggestion I would have for those putting on the show would be to get the class schedule and show forms up online (maybe include it in your ad in the classifieds section). I was sent the wrong show schedule which caused the exhibitor I brought along to miss her classes (very upsetting to a child at her first show). I was lucky that the parents were very understanding even after driving an hour plus to the show only to find out that there were only three classes that their daughter could show in.

I would be happy to help get the show schedule up online so that it is more readily available to those who may be considering attending this show as I really think a winter show series is a great thing for Southern Maryland to have.

W

WhoCares

It was a gorgeous weekend for a fall show and I was surprised that more people didn’t come to the Flat Iron Farm show. This show would be wonderful for anyone with green horses who need to get more exposure and/or time in the ring before the larger and more expensive summer shows next year.

This was my first time at Flat Iron and I have to say that it is a beautiful facility! The driveway into the farm is impossible to miss and the parking lot is large enough to swing any size rig around with ZERO problems (great for those who aren’t too comfortable backing their horse trailers). The indoor arena was a comfortable temperature complete with mirrors and nice soft footing.

The biggest suggestion I would have for those putting on the show would be to get the class schedule and show forms up online (maybe include it in your ad in the classifieds section). I was sent the wrong show schedule which caused the exhibitor I brought along to miss her classes (very upsetting to a child at her first show). I was lucky that the parents were very understanding even after driving an hour plus to the show only to find out that there were only three classes that their daughter could show in.

I would be happy to help get the show schedule up online so that it is more readily available to those who may be considering attending this show as I really think a winter show series is a great thing for Southern Maryland to have.

I am working on a website for the farm actually.

I can provide you the latest & greatest list that we use at the farm.

PM me your phone number. I need to ask you something.

fredsaid2

No typo... 20x40m is a small dressage ring and at Holly Point it is inside a Coverall arena, which is the same kind of arena Lucky Cricket Farm has, which I believe is a farm DQ2B has been too, but I'm not sure.

Looks like this, but no kickwall.
http://phyxius.smugmug.com/photos/124933163-M-2.jpg

Isn't HP's indoor 220 ft long, and a standard dressage ring 60 m? Do you need a certain amount of staging room to enter the dressage ring? Wondering why they can't take advantage of the space.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Isn't HP's indoor 220 ft long, and a standard dressage ring 60 m? Do you need a certain amount of staging room to enter the dressage ring? Wondering why they can't take advantage of the space.

I didn't measure the whole arena so I can't say how long it is, but the ring set up was a 20x40 and it was inside the indoor. There was room to school around the outside prior to entering at A, however, that is not necessary. Many people who have 20x60 indoors that host dressage shows allow the rider to enter the ring and then it begins after the bell rings and the rider turns to trot down centerline.

Holly Point could fit a 20x60 in their indoor, it's nice and big with pretty natural light (bad for photography, but good for everything else). I looove coveralls. I want one. I'm jealous. :lmao:

devinej

ahh yes, that is the question if the large ring will fit in there. the problem is that the arena fence is curved at the corners, so the corners of the dressage ring would be cut off slightly and there would be no room to trot around the dressage ring.

fredsaid2

I didn't measure the whole arena so I can't say how long it is, but the ring set up was a 20x40 and it was inside the indoor. There was room to school around the outside prior to entering at A, however, that is not necessary. Many people who have 20x60 indoors that host dressage shows allow the rider to enter the ring and then it begins after the bell rings and the rider turns to trot down centerline.

Holly Point could fit a 20x60 in their indoor, it's nice and big with pretty natural light (bad for photography, but good for everything else). I looove coveralls. I want one. I'm jealous. :lmao:

Maybe it just made better sense to keep to the small size. They advertise the indoor as 220 x 110, where I got the 220 from. I wondered if rules stipulated a certain amount of room for the judge or for entering, thought that might be why they couldn't make use of the space. Thanks! :smile:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Maybe it just made better sense to keep to the small size. They advertise the indoor as 220 x 110, where I got the 220 from. I wondered if rules stipulated a certain amount of room for the judge or for entering, thought that might be why they couldn't make use of the space. Thanks! :smile:

The indoor is that big, but there is a fence on the inside that makes inside the rail about 100X200 and it is oval. They would have to move part of the rail to accomodate the larger size or something like that.