How do we get one started in St. Mary's County?

glhs837

Power with Control
One of my coworkers lives in there, evidently that subdivision has a pretty lively HOA FB page, and he would give me daily updates as the battle raged across there :)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Or you do it like folks in Calvert: Deception, lies and back-room deals.

Ain't that the truth. From what I've read on it, spent 4 times the normal cost of construction, on an arranged deal with no competitive bid process at all, under the guise of entering into a lease agreement with an option to purchase on a building with ground never have being broken or one nail hammered, site unseen, on land the county itself used to own sold to the developer that is selling (sold) it back with a pretty building on it now of course. Ahhhh, ain't life grand? When you can make a few million of them off the back of the taxpayers in Calvert, with complicit commissioners and county staff?

I wonder what Liberty dude's take on it is? Or Northbeach dude?

officeguy

If I may ...

Ain't that the truth. From what I've read on it, spent 4 times the normal cost of construction, on an arranged deal with no competitive bid process at all, under the guise of entering into a lease agreement with an option to purchase on a building with ground never have being broken or one nail hammered, site unseen, on land the county itself used to own sold to the developer that is selling (sold) it back with a pretty building on it now of course. Ahhhh, ain't life grand? When you can make a few million of them off the back of the taxpayers in Calvert, with complicit commissioners and county staff?

I don't have any information on whether the builder over-charged.

I do however know that had the republican commissioners said 'hey, we'll borrow 4 million extra to build this super-duper snazzy animal shelter to do a job we currently purchase via inter-governmental contract', they would have been driven out of office with torches and pitchforks. Using the ruse of the 'public private partnership' and 'a non-profit to run it', they sold it as basically free to the taxpayers. And like ####ing magic, the moment the place is built they use emergency authority to borrow the money and buy out the private partner..... Nah, everything on the up&up.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

My take at the time was that there was something off about the deal but I couldn't quite figure out what.

The reality is that rural pioneers who move into formerly agricultural areas are bat #### crazy sometimes about animals. That was one area where Linda Kelley didn't see eye to eye on.

I'm sick of people who insist their animals are just like people and demand they be treated like their kids. Fur Mommy or Fur Daddy my rosy red ass. No insult intended to RoseRed.

I watched a dog that got loose from its owner destroy a popular vendor's stand at our Farmer's Market earlier this year. The owner thought it was the cutest thing he'd ever seen. The vendor never returned.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My take at the time was that there was something off about the deal but I couldn't quite figure out what.

The reality is that rural pioneers who move into formerly agricultural areas are bat #### crazy sometimes about animals. That was one area where Linda Kelley didn't see eye to eye on.

I'm sick of people who insist their animals are just like people and demand they be treated like their kids. Fur Mommy or Fur Daddy my rosy red ass. No insult intended to RoseRed.

I watched a dog that got loose from its owner destroy a popular vendor's stand at our Farmer's Market earlier this year. The owner thought it was the cutest thing he'd ever seen. The vendor never returned.

Let it be known: I do not live in that neighborhood and most certainly am not an animal nutter! I only linked the news stories. :yay:

mudpuddle

Let it be known: I do not live in that neighborhood and most certainly am not an animal nutter! I only linked the news stories. :yay:

You do not have to be "an animal nutter" to be concerned with this topic....I have lived in St. Mary's County for the last 22 years, and through the years have been living with cats unwillingly from the first day we moved in! I was not able to find homes for them or take them to the shelter, because I did not want them to be put down! I could not find anyplace that was willing to help me! It is more than just being frustrated and inconvenienced! It is very expensive! I had to have 10 cats fixed, not to mention our pet dogs we had through the years! Right at this moment, I am living with 5 cats! One cat ran off (we got lucky) and one cat died soon after we had her fixed and had given her shots! It is a big deal!

I wonder how many people on this forum have taken in cats and cared for them, because they couldn't get rid of them. How many people, just don't do anything, or just scare them away- leaving it up to goodhearted souls to take care of them?

littlelady

God bless the USA
This is fantastic news- "a dream come true" for Calvert County! We need "a dream come true" of the same kind for St. Mary's County!

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1018/itsanewdayforthedogsandcatsincalvert.html?platform=hootsuite

Anyone have good advice/ or know how this could be started (or where to start) in St. Mary's County?

I am really interested in this process!

Thank's in advance for your interest and any replies/advice/knowledge!!!

How are you? Long time, no post. I feel like you do. Our whole fam has, always, taken in strays and rescues. The only pet we bought is our current labradoodle because of allergy issues. I am glad you brought this topic to the forum’s attention. Don’t be a stranger. Pun intended! :huggy:

PS...the latest addition to our fam is a little kitty that son found about 3 months ago in the truck dock at the Giant he used to work at. He was less than 6 weeks old, and, obviously, separated from mom and litter. It is amazing he wasn’t squished. His name is Lucky. :smile:

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Charles Co announced a couple of years ago that the Tri County Animal shelter was going to close; they were going to rebuild and Calvert & St Mary's needed to build their own shelters. As far as I know neither St Mary's co nor Charles currently have a plan but the shelter which was build in the late 50's is obsolete and inadequate. With the growth of all three counties, it is long overdue for each county to have their own shelter.
Merrick Properties owned a chunk of land on 231 and offered to build a state of the art animal shelter for CC. They met with Linda and others and brought in architects that were experienced in building animal shelters. A lot of thought and planning was put into this shelter; with Linda having a lot of input in the layout.
If you knew Linda, she was an intelligent and intense person, especially when it came to animals. For many years, she was the commissioner that was the "voice for this animals" in Calvert county. She was, both as a commissioner and also a private citizen; a mover and shaker and was involved in many other causes as well.
I was present in several monthly meetings with an informal group of animal professionals that included Linda (and I believe she helped form the group many years ago) in Calvert Co. She was to be on the Calvert County Animal Shelter Advisory Board, which she was never able to attend because she had passed away. As one that is currently on that board, I can say she her absence is felt...and her presence as well. I was at the ribbon cutting of this fine building and am proud to be a part of the future success of this animal shelter.
Whatever the citizens- several of them posting on here- think about the shelter or whether we needed it, can afford it, were ripped off by Merrick and or the commissioners etc etc., I can only say as a pet professional, business owner, volunteer and animal lover: this shelter was needed and should be embraced.
Please take a tour when it is open to the public in November and compare to the old shelter. Please also consider that HUMANS have created many of the problems that require us to have shelters and the need to house and also the not so nice side- to euthanize animals.
Please consider that there is a NON- PROFIT group that has been making a HUGE difference in this county for many years by providing free spay & neuter's. They are now forming a new nonprofit 501C3 to support and provide $ to the animal shelter. The SPOT Thrift shop in St. Leonard...a wonderful organization.
Also wonderful! PAWS, the Calvert Well Pet clinic and the Humane Society of Calvert Co and others also make a huge difference.

I honestly do not know whether the county got "ripped off" or what good old boys deal was made. I DO KNOW that this county needed this beautiful shelter and I think it is in good hands with the staff running it.
There will be people that disagree with me and will want to debate this issue esp the "politics" of it. I will be unavailable for debate as I am heading out of town to see my 88 year old Dad for a few days.

Last edited:

mudpuddle

Charles Co announced a couple of years ago that the Tri County Animal shelter was going to close; they were going to rebuild and Calvert & St Mary's needed to build their own shelters. As far as I know neither St Mary's co nor Charles currently have a plan but the shelter which was build in the late 50's is obsolete and inadequate. With the growth of all three counties, it is long overdue for each county to have their own shelter.
Merrick Properties owned a chunk of land on 231 and offered to build a state of the art animal shelter for CC. They met with Linda and others and brought in architects that were experienced in building animal shelters. A lot of thought and planning was put into this shelter; with Linda having a lot of input in the layout.
If you knew Linda, she was an intelligent and intense person, especially when it came to animals. For many years, she was the commissioner that was the "voice for this animals" in Calvert county. She was, both as a commissioner and also a private citizen; a mover and shaker and was involved in many other causes as well.
I was present in several monthly meetings with an informal group of animal professional that included Linda (and I believe she helped form the group many years ago) in Calvert Co. She was to be on the Calvert County Animal Shelter Advisory Board, which she was never able to attend because she had passed away. As one that is currently on that board, I can say she her absence is felt...and her presence as well. I was at the ribbon cutting of this fine building and am proud to be a part of the future success of this animal shelter.
Whatever the citizens- several of them posting on here- think about the shelter or whether we needed it, can afford it, were ripped off by Merrick and or the commissioners etc etc., I can only say as a pet professional, business owner, volunteer and animal lover: this shelter was needed and should be embraced.
Please take a tour when it is open to the public in November and compare to the old shelter. Please also consider that HUMANS have created many of the problems that require us to have shelters and the need to house and also the not so nice side- to euthanize animals.
Please consider that there is a NON- PROFIT group that has been making a HUGE difference in this county for many years by providing free spay & neuter's. They are now forming a new nonprofit 501C3 to support and provide $ to the animal shelter. The SPOT Thrift shop in St. Leonard...a wonderful organization. Wonderful! PAWS, the Calvert Well Pet clinic and the Humane Society of Calvert Co and others also make a huge difference.

I honestly do not know whether the county got "ripped off" or what good old boys deal was made. I DO KNOW that this county needed this beautiful shelter and I think it is in good hands with the staff running it.
There will be people that disagree with me and will want to debate this issue esp the "politics" of it. I will be unavailable for debate as I am heading out of town to see my 88 year old Dad for a few days.

Yes, everything is over in Calvert County! There is nothing in St. Mary's County! We desperately need help with our strays and unwanted dogs and cats!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Yes, everything is over in Calvert County! There is nothing in St. Mary's County! We desperately need help with our strays and unwanted dogs and cats!

The St Mary's commissioners, Animal control and rescues based in St Mary's have met but I don't think they have a plan.

I believe that we were blessed in Calvert.

mudpuddle

How are you? Long time, no post. I feel like you do. Our whole fam has, always, taken in strays and rescues. The only pet we bought is our current labradoodle because of allergy issues. I am glad you brought this topic to the forum’s attention. Don’t be a stranger. Pun intended! :huggy:

PS...the latest addition to our fam is a little kitty that son found about 3 months ago in the truck dock at the Giant he used to work at. He was less than 6 weeks old, and, obviously, separated from mom and litter. It is amazing he wasn’t squished. His name is Lucky. :smile:

Hello Littlelady!!!! I am doing great! Thanks so much for checking in here! I seem to post only when I feel passionate/ or moved, about an issue. When I read about the new shelter over in Calvert, I thought that this should be the norm-and not the exception! Why, in all these years, does St. Mary's not have an animal shelter of some kind? It is unthinkable that it doesn't! And, inexcusable! Something has got to be done! I would like to see an animal shelter HERE in St. Mary's County in my lifetime,but at the rate things are going, I really am beginning to doubt that, and it just sickens me! If it can be done in Calvert, it CAN be done in St. Mary's as well!

mudpuddle

It sounds wonderful, but it won't take long for them to hit max. capacity. What then?

exactly! One shelter is not the answer. There has to be multiple shelters!!!! How big is St. Mary's? It is huge!!!!
Even over in Calvert, they now have a fantastic, but only one shelter! How long will it be a success?
I was thinking to myself, is one shelter better than no shelter? The answer really is no! It is only better in the beginning-in the long-run, it will fill to capacity, and then once again there will be problems! There has to be multiple shelters per each county in Southern Maryland, to really attack this problem of overpopulation with dogs/cats!