How do we get one started in St. Mary's County?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Charles Co announced a couple of years ago that the Tri County Animal shelter was going to close; they were going to rebuild and Calvert & St Mary's needed to build their own shelters. As far as I know neither St Mary's co nor Charles currently have a plan but the shelter which was build in the late 50's is obsolete and inadequate. With the growth of all three counties, it is long overdue for each county to have their own shelter.
Merrick Properties owned a chunk of land on 231 and offered to build a state of the art animal shelter for CC. They met with Linda and others and brought in architects that were experienced in building animal shelters. A lot of thought and planning was put into this shelter; with Linda having a lot of input in the layout.
If you knew Linda, she was an intelligent and intense person, especially when it came to animals. For many years, she was the commissioner that was the "voice for this animals" in Calvert county. She was, both as a commissioner and also a private citizen; a mover and shaker and was involved in many other causes as well.
I was present in several monthly meetings with an informal group of animal professionals that included Linda (and I believe she helped form the group many years ago) in Calvert Co. She was to be on the Calvert County Animal Shelter Advisory Board, which she was never able to attend because she had passed away. As one that is currently on that board, I can say she her absence is felt...and her presence as well. I was at the ribbon cutting of this fine building and am proud to be a part of the future success of this animal shelter.
Whatever the citizens- several of them posting on here- think about the shelter or whether we needed it, can afford it, were ripped off by Merrick and or the commissioners etc etc., I can only say as a pet professional, business owner, volunteer and animal lover: this shelter was needed and should be embraced.
Please take a tour when it is open to the public in November and compare to the old shelter. Please also consider that HUMANS have created many of the problems that require us to have shelters and the need to house and also the not so nice side- to euthanize animals.
Please consider that there is a NON- PROFIT group that has been making a HUGE difference in this county for many years by providing free spay & neuter's. They are now forming a new nonprofit 501C3 to support and provide $ to the animal shelter. The SPOT Thrift shop in St. Leonard...a wonderful organization.
Also wonderful! PAWS, the Calvert Well Pet clinic and the Humane Society of Calvert Co and others also make a huge difference.

I honestly do not know whether the county got "ripped off" or what good old boys deal was made. I DO KNOW that this county needed this beautiful shelter and I think it is in good hands with the staff running it.
There will be people that disagree with me and will want to debate this issue esp the "politics" of it. I will be unavailable for debate as I am heading out of town to see my 88 year old Dad for a few days.

Merrick owned a chunk of land that the county sold to them. Take away all the emotions and what is left is an over-priced commercial building. "I honestly do not know whether the county got "ripped off" or what good old boys deal was made." You know? If you were to take out that profit motive of yours, and think as taxpayer getting screwed over and find out all the information, you might find that the county did get ripped off. How is it that government owned buildings that were "build in the late 50's is obsolete and inadequate"? Why are not the houses we live in considered, "obsolete and inadequate", after the same passing of time? Maybe all that shelving in your store is, "obsolete and inadequate" and needs replacing right now? Go buy some new ones even though the current ones are serviceable. That is exactly what government is doing to screw over the taxpayer. Get your head out of your ass.

frequentflier

happy to be living
exactly! One shelter is not the answer. There has to be multiple shelters!!!! How big is St. Mary's? It is huge!!!!
Even over in Calvert, they now have a fantastic, but only one shelter! How long will it be a success?
I was thinking to myself, is one shelter better than no shelter? The answer really is no! It is only better in the beginning-in the long-run, it will fill to capacity, and then once again there will be problems! There has to be multiple shelters per each county in Southern Maryland, to really attack this problem of overpopulation with dogs/cats!

The tri county animal shelter will still be open until both of the other counties build their own.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If I may ...

Merrick owned a chunk of land that the county sold to them. Take away all the emotions and what is left is an over-priced commercial building. "I honestly do not know whether the county got "ripped off" or what good old boys deal was made." You know? If you were to take out that profit motive of yours, and think as taxpayer getting screwed over and find out all the information, you might find that the county did get ripped off. How is it that government owned buildings that were "build in the late 50's is obsolete and inadequate"? Why are not the houses we live in considered, "obsolete and inadequate", after the same passing of time? Maybe all that shelving in your store is, "obsolete and inadequate" and needs replacing right now? Go buy some new ones even though the current ones are serviceable. That is exactly what government is doing to screw over the taxpayer. Get your head out of your ass.

How do I stand to profit from the shelter? It has nothing at all to do with me or my store. NOTHING! My store is a long ways from the shelter.
I am a volunteer on the advisory board and donate heavily to and support animal rescue groups.
And, Lightroasted, I do not have my head up my ass. We clearly have a difference of opinion- as we have had before- and you clearly see things differently than me.

Signing off...looking forward to visiting my Dad!

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

Leaving the profit, and your personal insults that add nothing to the conversation aside, the obsolete and inadequate buildings referenced are the ones currently inhabited by the Tri-County Shelter. Have you been there? How recently? Stop on by, see if you think it's a place where people get in the right mood to adopt. Like schools, designs philosophy for shelters has moved on quite a bit over the decades. Sometimes a rehab cannot do enough to a building.

officeguy

Leaving the profit, and your personal insults that add nothing to the conversation aside, the obsolete and inadequate buildings referenced are the ones currently inhabited by the Tri-County Shelter. Have you been there? How recently? Stop on by, see if you think it's a place where people get in the right mood to adopt. Like schools, designs philosophy for shelters has moved on quite a bit over the decades. Sometimes a rehab cannot do enough to a building.

Well, the 'philosophy' of TriCounty when it was built was: 'I guess we can't just shoot the strays anymore, so now wee need to do some of this 'animal control' thing. The cheapest way to run the pound is if we all throw in some money and run the place together'. Back then, all three counties were predominantly rural and animals were for the most part tools. The pound existed to hold animals for a short time until they could either be returned ot the owner or disposed. Things have changed. Feral cats are now worshiped with religious fervor and even the most vicious pitbull has to be 'rehabilitated' like he is a human. Its not that there is anything wrong with TriCounty, its just that some people in the constituent counties want to go a different direction.

Last edited:

BusinessTime

The St Mary's commissioners, Animal control and rescues based in St Mary's have met but I don't think they have a plan.

I believe that we were blessed in Calvert.

It has been an ongoing topic of discussion at the County level & a site has finally been identified.

http://www.boarddocs.com/md/stmarysc...d=AZFG5N42285F

I think that notation at the end of the memo, stating that on Oct 24, 2018 the Board made the decision to move forward, must be a typo and is probably meant to read 2017

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You really are a prime Grade A idiot sometimes. LMAO..."profit motive"....sheesh...

There is no altruism here. She's attended monthly meetings with an informal group and now sits on the advisory board, attended the ribbon cutting. So even though her store is in Lusby, I would wager that there will be literature, brochures, flyers, front and center on the counters promoting her store, offering discounts to adopting customers, etc etc etc. Profit motive? Yes. Blind to the pillaging of county taxpayers? Yes.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

There is no altruism here. She's attended monthly meetings with an informal group and now sits on the advisory board, attended the ribbon cutting. So even though her store is in Lusby, I would wager that there will be literature, brochures, flyers, front and center on the counters promoting her store, offering discounts to adopting customers, etc etc etc. Profit motive? Yes. Blind to the pillaging of county taxpayers? Yes.

Smdh. Know MB that well, do you?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Smdh. Know MB that well, do you?

I know her. I'm not saying she's thinking first and foremost a profit motive being the deciding factor in her participation of support and promotion of the shelter. But profit she will. And, her participation and support of the shelter has blinded her to the reality of the royal screwing the taxpayers of Calvert have received. Of course, maybe that is what is meant when those elected talk of those public/private business partnership relationships nowadays? Huh?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Reminds me of the time I spoke in favor of a proposed car ferry from Piney Point to Virginia; all the NIMBYs opposed to it accused me of only supporting it because my company would (they thought) make money from the service.

Oh well.

I'd be climbing all over supporting any valid county or state activity that promised to make me a buck too. Has never happened though..probably never will.