How Do You Feel About the Near Future?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've always been a 'preparer', not quite a prepper. I keep more supplies on hand than most. Turned out to be very beneficial when there were no paper products to be found a few months back, I'm still using supplies from BC (Before Coronavirus).

But recent events have made me re-think this a bit. I'd really like to believe that 'the powers to be' might have taken a lesson from March and April, and have at least thought about, and hopefully implemented plans to keep supply chains going. And then you read about the riots, and not so much the riots themselves, but the total lack of authority on the part of the cities to rein in the violence. If they can't get a city under control, how can we expect supplies and manufacturing from within those cities to remain unaffected? If there's another resurgence of new virus strains, will the modest gains we've had over the past few months be meaningless? More lockdowns? No supplies?

I know there are a few here that are more than prepped, ample supplies to carry them for a long time. Anyone else concerned, and at least thinking about becoming more prepared than usual, building up a larder? And I'm not talking about hoarding, wiping out the store shelves, just accumulating necessary things over time.

Or are you pretty confident that you'll make out OK, still get things on an 'as needed' basis, no real preparing?

Last edited:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I've been adding dry goods and canned goods to the cabinet for a while now, a little at a time.

SamSpade

Have to say, I really DON'T think he's going to win. And I don't relish what will happen in a Biden administration. I really don't. I am betting all of my financial planning against what he will do to everything.

That said, I don't see how Biden can win re-election. I don't see really how he lives that long given the toll the job has on Presidents. He will be far too feeble and weak to run again - assuming he isn't NOW.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Have to say, I really DON'T think he's going to win. And I don't relish what will happen in a Biden administration.
Ok, that's fair, but I was hoping to get a feel for prepping, not politics right now. There's a lot of other threads covering that. Regardless of who gets elected, there is some level of concern about food, supply, etc....

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
All kidding aside, Dry and canned goods, bottled water, medical / first aid supplies.

My concerns are disruptions in supply chains from the leftist violence and stupidity in the streets, ala Rosereds post about trucking issues.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our humble abode doesn't allow for us to stockpile much of anything. But our home has wheels on it. I'm sure I won't have a hard time convincing Vrai that we need to relocate to a location that has less civil strife if we ever find ourselves in a place that seems ready to implode.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Our humble abode doesn't allow for us to stockpile much of anything. But our home has wheels on it. I'm sure I won't have a hard time convincing Vrai that we need to relocate to a location that has less civil strife if we ever find ourselves in a place that seems ready to implode.
That is certainly a valid plan too, relocate and hope you can find the supplies you need.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

We don't typically go to those places anyway. But everyone is just one shot black thug away from having their community turn into a war zone, so it's best to be on our toes.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Our freezer in the basement is fully stocked and the freezer in the kitchen couldn't hold another item if I tried! Cupboards and pantry well stocked with food and staples. Plenty of medical supplies and cleaning products. May need to hoard some TP and paper products, though.

Something going on that my store has had to deal with is lack of (pet food) cans. The canneries shut down during covid and supplies aren't expected until November. My canned good shelves are very bare but I won't worry about replenishing as I am closing the store in Dec. Not sure if this has affected human canned foods.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I picture roaming hoards of RVs crossing the country ala Mad Max. As long as there is a BBQ place still open, you'll be fine.

:lol:
The RV industry is reporting that sales are up. They contribute that to the virus and people no longer willing to stay in hotel rooms that may or may not have been cleaned and sanitized. In our campground in Hot Springs there were a bunch of kids 'attending' class on their laptops while sitting at their site's picnic table.

Plus many people now have the freedom of working from home. As long as you have a wifi signal, you can work pretty much from anywhere. Except the Poconos.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I know there are a few here that are more than prepped, ample supplies to carry them for a long time. Anyone else concerned, and at least thinking about becoming more prepared than usual, building up a larder? And I'm not talking about hoarding, wiping out the store shelves, just accumulating necessary things over time.

well if you want to do all in, you can long term storage food

otherwise perhaps extra cases of TP, some bags of rice, canned goods you normally use,. just more and rotate the stock

cans of Pork and Beans ... canned meat

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The RV industry is reporting that sales are up.
We're doing a family camp thing in 2 weeks. My brother had a lot of trouble finding a rental RV. All the lots for new and used RVs/trailers were near empty. Like you said, good opportunity to go camping and travel, so that's what everyone is doing.

But coming up in the next year or two, I see a glut of used RVs and trailers on the market as life returns to normal and everyone decides they no longer have time for one.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
well if you want to do all in, you can long term storage food

otherwise perhaps extra cases of TP, some bags of rice, canned goods you normally use,. just more and rotate the stock

cans of Pork and Beans ... canned meat
Yes, that is what you can do, but are you doing it?