how do you keep costs down in your barn

swansong

I am always trying to think of ways to keep my costs down. I have a few boarders and I HATE raising the board on them. I know everyone's horse $$ are really stretched these days. I have done some research on total mixed rations. This is a complete horse biscuit that eliminates the need for hay or grain. It is a very interesting approach to feeding but it is radically different and horse people do not like change.... I am looking for ideas on cheap good bedding. I use sawdust from a local mill. It is dusty and green but it is the most affordable medium I can find, that is both environmentally friendly and labor friendly. I am aware of it's drawbacks but have to measure those against more costly alternatives. Anyway if you know of anything that saves you money and time please share! I keep hunting for good ideas. I am also looking for part time help if anyone knows someone who wants to do barn work for 10 or so hours a week.

gsxr2005

Where are you located at , I know someone who gets sawdust for 250 a load and its dump truck .. I know someone who might be interest in part time work , horse experince and just depends on the distance. pm or email me jms9428@gmail.com

C

campinmutt

I use sawdust as well, but I put the pine pellets in the pee spots to help the sawdust last longer and makes cleaning easier.

Wait4It..boom

I use sawdust too but had been thinking of using the pellets in pee areas for those that are considerate enough to go in the same location. Is there a cost benefit with the pellets or are they expensive?
Someone had mentioned to me they have been feeding a bran mash each day and it's keeping their horses' stomachs warm and satisfied and have noticed use of hay decreasing. I can't vouch for it though, including pros or cons.
It was also suggested to me to switch some of my higher fat feeds to a linseed/flax seed. Said linseed is also high in fat, you feed less, and will be cheaper. I also haven't researched this out much yet myself on whether it's true, safe, and will provide similar results.

highnote

If your horses can "tolerate" alfalfa, try feeding alfalfa pellets. Very reasonably priced at stauffers (much cheaper than the Chaffhaye pound-for-pound). They order by the truckload and bag it themselves, so it keeps some of the cost down.

I just put a scoop in with their feed. Does not eliminate the need for hay, but reduces the amount you have to feed.

Also if you are feeding squares, switching to rounds can be a cost saver (as long as you have a way of preventing waste- such as using a feeder or only giving them a little at a time).

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
If your horses can "tolerate" alfalfa, try feeding alfalfa pellets. Very reasonably priced at stauffers (much cheaper than the Chaffhaye pound-for-pound). They order by the truckload and bag it themselves, so it keeps some of the cost down.

I just put a scoop in with their feed. Does not eliminate the need for hay, but reduces the amount you have to feed.

Also if you are feeding squares, switching to rounds can be a cost saver (as long as you have a way of preventing waste- such as using a feeder or only giving them a little at a time).

I feed round and it really helps...I just got some super heavy bales and put them in last Sunday am..one field has 5 horses (they get NO grain and are fat fat) they still have hay this was first cutting timothy and some clover....another field has a yearling a two yr old and a 16.3h bred mare..they still have 1/2 a bale they got second cutting 800 lb bale (they get grain)...another field we feed 5 horses and there is still 1/2 a bale there too they got first cutting too...they are under cover and in round bale feeders to eliminate waste. I also make my own fly spray..give my own shots..buy stuff in bulk etc...

C

campinmutt

the pellets are 12.50 a 40 lbs bag. I have 12 stalls and go through 2 bags a month. makes the stalls easier..pee spots smaller ..and work load less.might not save money but it keeps me happy!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
the pellets are 12.50 a 40 lbs bag. I have 12 stalls and go through 2 bags a month. makes the stalls easier..pee spots smaller ..and work load less.might not save money but it keeps me happy!

Nat you must not use very much a scoop or two per stall?? I thought they were like 6.50 a bag they must have really gone up..

highnote

the pine pellets 40lb bag is only $6 or $7 at most places (tractor supply, loveville leather, stauffers, etc).

You can even get them at lowes (they use them in pellet stoves)