How honest do you think most folks are?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
HUNDREDS of examples where normally honest people can be persuaded by opportunity to do the wrong thing..

But do you really think a "normally honest" person would steal someone's purse out of their car just because it was in plain sight and unlocked? Or steal their car just because it was running and unlocked outside the store?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
But do you really think a "normally honest" person would steal someone's purse out of their car just because it was in plain sight and unlocked? Or steal their car just because it was running and unlocked outside the store?

We'd have to ask somebody from law enforcement how many times they've arrested somebody with an immaculate record, who did something just because an opportunity presented itself.

Running car, purse maybe a little much.. and I also believe that the majority of people are honest enough NOT to, but there is a good amount of people that are honest, good people that if an opportunity presented itself they may take a step or two over that line.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Totally true for most..

In the Army if your wallet got stolen in the barracks.. the person who's wallet was stolen got into trouble as well.. for leaving their possessions unsecured.. giving a person the opportunity for them to commit a criminal act is almost as bad as committing the criminal act.

Leaving your keys in your car...

Leaving your car running while going into the store..

Leaving a wallet or purse in plain site in an unlocked car..

HUNDREDS of examples where normally honest people can be persuaded by opportunity to do the wrong thing..

At RTC San Diego we had to write down all the numbers of the bills we had on us. I'm sure that was due to theft in the past.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We'd have to ask somebody from law enforcement how many times they've arrested somebody with an immaculate record, who did something just because an opportunity presented itself.

An immaculate record doesn't mean they're honest, it just means they've never committed a crime or been caught. I don't think someone who is normally honest would be tempted by opportunity, at least not on any meaningful level. I'm fairly honest and wouldn't steal a soda from the Wawa, but if I were at a soda machine and it gave me two Diet Cokes when I only paid for one, I'd probably keep the extra soda (but I also might feel guilty and leave it there for the next person's karma to deal with).

So maybe it's a matter of degree.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
And 1 more. Notice it only takes a few seconds before they grab the purse.

DEEKAYPEE8569

So where you fall on the moral compass depends on whether you think you will get caught?
No dear heart. If I saw who dropped the money, I would first attempt to get his/her attention and point out the error. If unable to do that, I would only pick up the money to go after/catch up to the person, to give the money back.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Totally true for most..

In the Army if your wallet got stolen in the barracks.. the person who's wallet was stolen got into trouble as well.. for leaving their possessions unsecured.. giving a person the opportunity for them to commit a criminal act is almost as bad as committing the criminal act.

Leaving your keys in your car...

Leaving your car running while going into the store..

Leaving a wallet or purse in plain site in an unlocked car..

HUNDREDS of examples where normally honest people can be persuaded by opportunity to do the wrong thing
I have seen examples of these many times and not once have I thought, 'Well, it's just sitting there in plain sight; I'm gonna take it.' This comes from being taught right from wrong and being raised by someone who would have beaten the crap out of us for; let's call it what it is.....stealing.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Years ago, I saw a purse in the middle of the road (in a pretty bad neighborhood), turned around, picked it up. The owner was difficult to find due to many addresses and conflicting info in her purse. When I finally got ahold of her, she was frantic and most appreciative for the return. She had put her child in the car and put the purse on top and drove down the road.
My co workers at the time criticized me for returning the purse and the money inside. When speaking to my Dad later about the criticism, he summed it up nicely by saying "you were raised better than them."

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have seen examples of these many times and not once have I thought, 'Well, it's just sitting there in plain sight; I'm gonna take it.' This comes from being taught right from wrong and being raised by someone who would have beaten the crap out of us for; let's call it what it is.....stealing.

that's YOU.. and I hope me as well..

BUT there is a percentage of people that all they need is an opportunity to make the wrong decision and they will.. What is that percentage?? I have no idea.. but I know for certain it's not ZERO.

SoMDGirl42

I chased a vehicle down 235 a while back because they left their wallet sitting on the back bumper. Took forever to convince them to pull over because their wallet was on the bumper. I think they thought it was a set up.