How I would "fix" the damage to the economy

black dog

Free America
I am wondering how many of the people who start getting unemployment checks will not start to work until the checks stop.
It will be like last time, the week after the final final final final extension they will head back to work... This time the checks are for 600 more....

herb749

The surprise of the unemployment claims shouldn't have been. How many of the claims were by people saying, screw it, I can make more sitting at home with this extra $600. tacked on.

Reactions: BOP

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If they don’t unfawk the SBA loan process soon, my employees won’t have much choice but to file for unemployment instead. All that back slapping I see from the President and others at the pressers about how much and how fast they acted to help employers has proven to be total bs in practice so far.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If they don’t unfawk the SBA loan process soon, my employees won’t have much choice but to file for unemployment instead. All that back slapping I see from the Presidents and others at the pressers about how much and how fast they acted to help employers has proven to be total bs in practice so far.
Luckily, my employer's business was more straight forward and his accountant helped guide him through the hoops. I think it's total crap that they make it so hard for businesses like your's to apply, but I can see room for a lot of abuse by unscrupulous actors with all this money floating around at breakneck speed (in regards to the normal pace of Gov't actions).

The boss was just a little pissed that just about everyone wanted to leave work Friday after lunch. We're going on a Tues-Thurs schedule for the time being, but I believe he's paying them for 40. I'm PT, so I'm just happy to get my 24 in each week. We had quite a few boats come in on Friday, so it looks like this crap hasn't scared everyone off.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I spent over 2 hours on an SBA form on line yesterday...the really simple one for the 10k relief payment. Started over three times...same result. It would get hung up part way through and that was that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am wondering how many of the people who start getting unemployment checks will not start to work until the checks stop.

Unemployment isn't all that. I think it's like half or 1/3 of your last wages. Those who were gainfully employed prior to the Kung Flu will want to get back to business.

SamSpade

Unemployment isn't all that. I think it's like half or 1/3 of your last wages. Those who were gainfully employed prior to the Kung Flu will want to get back to business.

It's been a while - about 17 years - since I was on unemployment - but I remember that I got lucky. I got a Christmas bonus, a severance (from being laid off) and savings which - along with a variable rate mortgage on a very cheap house - allowed me to get by for many months on the meager offerings it provided. Still - after six months - I was stir crazy and anxious to do ANYTHING to make money. I lived alone for nine years before I got married, and I REALLY wished I'd saved money during that time.

Still - I was amazed at just how resourceful I was during that time. I made dinner of fried rice, which consisted of large bags of mixed vegetables and rice and a little meat - and outside of that, I was just fine. I even had enough money to take my girlfriend out to dinner (now wife).

It's amazing what you can do when you have no alternative.