How likely is impeachment for Donald Trump?

BOP

If you google impeachment, it's all about Donald Trump, and the results generally come from or make reference to somebody named Robert Reich. The question came up yesterday, and I got this back in response:

Violations of the Emoluments Clause
Interfering with criminal and national security investigations.
Advocating Violence
Attempting to undermine the 14th Amendment is the Muslim Ban (thwarted by the courts)
Undermining the Fifth Amendment the judiciary’s power enforce injunctions against government officials who flout individual rights.
Pressuring the Department of Justice and the FBI to investigate and prosecute political adversaries
Undermining the 1st Amendment to the Constitution
Interference in the AT&T/Time Warner merger.
Misuse of Presidential Emergency powers
Failure to uphold the 8th Amendment to the Constitution
Conspiracy to campaign finance law

I realize this is parroted talking points, but where are the counter arguments? Anyone?

This_person

Counter? Isn't it simple enough to point out there's no validity or proof of a single one of the charges?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Violations of the Emoluments Clause - because Trump Owns multiple propereties that rent rooms to foreigners aka Russians he is some how controlled or influenced

what a JOKE

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
It’s going to be interesting in 2020 when the Dems start campaigning and the only “accomplishment “ they can claim is they “tried” to impeach Trump.

limblips

PREMO Member
The Senior Idiot Maxine and the Junior Idiot AOC say so therefor it must be.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Dems are showing their true colors.....proposing to investigate everything surrounding a person, hoping to eventually find some evidence of a crime. How Soviet of them.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Get used to it.... This is going to be their SOP for every election they lose going forward.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The Dems are showing their true colors.....proposing to investigate everything surrounding a person, hoping to eventually find some evidence of a crime. How Soviet of them.

I don't think the Donks really expect an impeachable act to suddenly appear before 2020. If they keep banging the "Impeachment Now!" drum, they will convince a significant number of low-intelligence minorities and millennials that something is there and they will vote non-Trump. It's that "Telling a lie enough times. . . ." deal.

nutz

Find something or create something they can use? Sad that either side of the aisle gets away with these type of tactics.

SamSpade

I can't even begin to guess. Gut reaction is no, because the leaders don't want it, but prefer to keep pressure on him until November 2020, painting him in as bad a light as possible. Last impeachment blew back in the Republican's faces, and he was guilty - guilty enough that people like Senator Byrd admitted it, but chose NOT to remove him in spite of it.

On the other hand there are a LOT of people in the Democratic Party who see criminal behavior in every step and sneeze, and are convinced beyond all semblance of reason - or evidence - that he is a de facto agent of the Kremlin. Nothing will satisfy these people.

SamSpade

It's that "Telling a lie enough times. . . ." deal.

He lied about it. And got away with it.

Worse, even after the press brought it up - he never really paid much of a price for it.

So, yeah, you can like on stuff like this, and it will win.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A Dem majority in the House says it's highly likely he will be impeached. But so what? It's not like the Senate will vote to convict on any of that crap. Impeachment means nothing - I thought we learned that from Bill Clinton?

The elders in the Party know this, which is why they rant and rave to the press but don't actually move forward with impeachment proceedings. It's the kiddies who don't understand how it works and think that impeaching Trump will make him not President anymore.

Midnightrider

A Dem majority in the House says it's highly likely he will be impeached. But so what? It's not like the Senate will vote to convict on any of that crap. Impeachment means nothing - I thought we learned that from Bill Clinton?

The elders in the Party know this, which is why they rant and rave to the press but don't actually move forward with impeachment proceedings. It's the kiddies who don't understand how it works and think that impeaching Trump will make him not President anymore.
it meant a lot more than nothing even though they did not convict clinton. It certianly stymied slick willie for quite a while and if not for partisan politics he would have been removed from office.

No president wants to bet on that, particularly when the senate is about to pass a rejection of his National Emergency declaration.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The Dems will beat this drum hard just so they followers will hear the noise. They have several bongo players in their fold. They seem to alternate on who does the drumming on different days. No matter who conducts the concert, the music is always the same.

This is the risk any DC outsider faces when wading into the swamp. The critters will bear their fangs and go for the jugular. Not many people are willing to put up with that barrage. Look at Brent Kavanaugh. As an American, I was embarrassed by what they put him through. This was mafia style intimidation tactics. 3 phony accusers, all of whom just happened to bring to light some sinister antics just as his confirmation hearing was ramping up.

I should run for office. I'd love to see what's in my Stelle dossier. Put gum on the underside of the table in the diner. Wore a striped shirt with checkered pants. Sang the national anthem out of tune.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
it meant a lot more than nothing even though they did not convict clinton. It certianly stymied slick willie for quite a while and if not for partisan politics he would have been removed from office.

No president wants to bet on that, particularly when the senate is about to pass a rejection of his National Emergency declaration.
I agree on some level. He lied about the relationship. Not sure if he lied about telling others to lie in ther testimony, but I have to believe he highly encouraged if he didn't come right out and tell them to lie.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If you google impeachment, it's all about Donald Trump, and the results generally come from or make reference to somebody named Robert Reich. The question came up yesterday, and I got this back in response:

I realize this is parroted talking points, but where are the counter arguments? Anyone?
Would this be the same Robert Reich that was employed in the Clinton Administration?
To answer your question, technically speaking the odds are pretty close to 100% Trump will be impeached, that is charges of impeachment will be handed down by the US House of Representatives.
However he will not be convicted and removed from office by the Senate.

gemma_rae

How likely is impeachment for Donald Trump?

It's a certainty. It will come in the last year of his second term but it still won't be enough to keep Ivanka from becoming the first female president. #Ivanka2024