How long?

terbear1225

Just started a running program and have recently caught a terrible cold. There is no way i can run yet, i cant breathe through my nose half the time, but i dont want to lose what little muscle i have gained so far. How do you know when its ok to go back to the routine?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Just started a running program and have recently caught a terrible cold. There is no way i can run yet, i cant breathe through my nose half the time, but i dont want to lose what little muscle i have gained so far. How do you know when its ok to go back to the routine?

At least keep walking, throw in some intervals of walking>running until you get back up to speed. Your body will tell you when it's ready, just be listening.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
What Kom said and you won't lose muscle. It has memory and will rebuild itself when you are well and exercising again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What Kom said also because if you stop moving, it will be harder to get your body off it's ass again when you feel better and you'll be starting from scratch.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Run through the cold..

Running will actually loosen up the congestion, you'll clear yourself up, and recover faster from your cold..

.. and the colder out the better..

Warm up doing Jumping Jacks (or Plegm Ups if you prefer that term) to really get the cold juices flowing.. then go out and do your run as you normally would.

Granted you'd NEVER guess it looking at me now, but I USED to run a LOT (most times against my will) but when I had a cold I ALWAYS felt better after a run.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Run through the cold..

Running will actually loosen up the congestion, you'll clear yourself up, and recover faster from your cold..

.. and the colder out the better..

Warm up doing Jumping Jacks (or Plegm Ups if you prefer that term) to really get the cold juices flowing.. then go out and do your run as you normally would.

Granted you'd NEVER guess it looking at me now, but I USED to run a LOT (most times against my will) but when I had a cold I ALWAYS felt better after a run.

I agree! I had a bit of sinus congestion the other morning from all the weather ups & downs and walking* in the cold morning air really cleared it up. I thought my sinuses would hate it, but they didn't. I never thought I would like walking in the cold weather, and I still can't believe it -but I DO!

*I don't run - I walk. I can cover about 1 mile in 15 mins. and I walk about 3-4X a week depending on my schedule & how much I can get to the gym.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
My rule of thumb, though I never did a running regiment, when I USED to work out (it's been a good long while though :lol)

For every week you miss, you set yourself back 2 weeks...

Now, I don't mean you lose everything, but, I mean that the full soreness returns after your workout, you don't have as much go forward push/stamina during the workout... And it normally takes a week-2 weeks to get back to where you were before you missed a week..

Now, every person is different, that is just what I noticed for myself when I would miss a full week.

Warncnutz would possible be a good person to talk to, he lives in the gym :shrug:

warneckutz

Sweat it out... I'd hit the gym with bronchitis and the only time I even felt remotely better was during the workout because it raised the body temp and opened up the lungs.

Most people scale it back a lot or take off entirely - I feel like a tough workout speeds up my recovery time.

If you're at the gym, and you're sick and snotty, just make sure you use extra disenfectant spray on all the machines and weights you touch.
:dye:

Buuuuuuuuuut... you gotta go with what you feel is best... I'm just a sanitational engineer at the gym.
:coffee: