Votes: 10 19.6%
  • $10,000 - $20,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $20,000-$30,000

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • $30,000+

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
I have zero credit card debt, but it took me a long time to stop using credit cards. When the kids were still at home, I used credit cards because it seemed as though the kids would need something, or grow out of their clothes pretty quick. There was always a "good" reason to use the card. I pay cash only now, and have been credit card free for about 16 years.

Good for you.

There is a down-side to this method, tho. Not saying it applies to you, but not using the credit card at all can impact your credit rating. If you have virtually no history of credit and payback, your rating can drop, and you may not get the best deals or rates on car loans or other big ticket items. Even insurance premiums can be affected. It's ok to use the credit cards, just don't overdo it, and pay it off every month.

somdfunguy

not impressed
To people in debt that always seems easier said than done. Hubby was laid off and new job was a big pay cut. Half his take home pay goes to the mortgage. I literally have barely enough money each week to buy gas and some groceries. We are looking into getting rid of DTV to help and will do Amazon prime + Netflix maybe for TV.

I disagree, in elementary school we learned the difference between needs and wants. That lesson never left me. Looking into getting rid of DTV means you prioritized it over something else. You made a choice and if you are happy with that choice and the results of that choice then that is that. If you (the general you, not you) whine about debt, look at the choices that got you there.

Good for you.

There is a down-side to this method, tho. Not saying it applies to you, but not using the credit card at all can impact your credit rating. If you have virtually no history of credit and payback, your rating can drop, and you may not get the best deals or rates on car loans or other big ticket items. Even insurance premiums can be affected. It's ok to use the credit cards, just don't overdo it, and pay it off every month.

I miss the like button

JeJeTe

Happiness
Our DTV bill is $130 w/ no movie channels. I'll have to bribe my daughter to use her Xbox to access these, :lol:

I used a Wii for access and now we use a Playstation and a Roku for access. By far, the Roku wins for ease of access. If you make the switch look into it. Broad channel choice, some are free, and the app turns your phone that can be used for a remote for it.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I disagree, in elementary school we learned the difference between needs and wants. That lesson never left me. Looking into getting rid of DTV means you prioritized it over something else. You made a choice and if you are happy with that choice and the results of that choice then that is that. If you (the general you, not you) whine about debt, look at the choices that got you there.

Honestly, we lived too many times like things would never change. He loved his job, minus some of the travel, so I knew he would not necessarily go elsewhere. I know we did it to ourselves. Kids complain we can no longer go out to eat or do things like send them to the carnival. Even I get a little mad if I feel like I can't even replace my flip flops in fear we'd need that money. We told them our goal is to keep the roof over our heads, lights on and food in the kitchen. It's been a hard adjustment on all of us.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I used a Wii for access and now we use a Playstation and a Roku for access. By far, the Roku wins for ease of access. If you make the switch look into it. Broad channel choice, some are free, and the app turns your phone that can be used for a remote for it.

Thanks. Definitely need to sit down and figure out which shows we watch and where can I get them. Biggest thing is I never watch anything when it's actually on, always record for later.

Honestly, we lived too many times like things would never change. He loved his job, minus some of the travel, so I knew he would not necessarily go elsewhere. I know we did it to ourselves. Kids complain we can no longer go out to eat or do things like send them to the carnival. Even I get a little mad if I feel like I can't even replace my flip flops in fear we'd need that money. We told them our goal is to keep the roof over our heads, lights on and food in the kitchen. It's been a hard adjustment on all of us.

If money were that tight for me, I would have dropped the expensive entertainment costs a long time ago. Choosing TV over food and shoes is not good judgement.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The DTV would have been the first thing I got rid of.

When I was pinching pennies trying to make ends meet, I worked side jobs whenever I could - under the table waitressing and tending bar gets you cash right then and there for groceries and gas.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Thanks. Definitely need to sit down and figure out which shows we watch and where can I get them. Biggest thing is I never watch anything when it's actually on, always record for later.

It is a very good feeling to "drop shows" and realize how much free time you have. My wife took convincing when we "cut the cord" but doesn't miss it at all now. You have more time to fill your life full of what really matters. That is a lesson a parent should feel great about teaching their kids.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
If money were that tight for me, I would have dropped the expensive entertainment costs a long time ago. Choosing TV over food and shoes is not good judgement.

For some reason it's only been recently things have seemed so tight even though no new debt. We are under a contract with DTV so I have to wait until that's up to drop them, which should be Aug.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
The DTV would have been the first thing I got rid of.

When I was pinching pennies trying to make ends meet, I worked side jobs whenever I could - under the table waitressing and tending bar gets you cash right then and there for groceries and gas.

Thought about that. Seems hard to figure out where to fit those things into our day. I work and go to college too. Not much free time after that.

JeJeTe

Happiness

That's how I was. Very few live shows were watched. There is a site somewhere that I think you can google where you plug the show in and it tells you what streaming service provides it.

It is a very good feeling to "drop shows" and realize how much free time you have. My wife took convincing when we "cut the cord" but doesn't miss it at all now. You have more time to fill your life full of what really matters. That is a lesson a parent should feel great about teaching their kids.

I think that it requires more effort to watch TV now so I do it less. It's not just on in the background because you have to actively search for a show to watch.

somdfunguy

not impressed
I do. My daughter is in high school, 2 sports so there's always a game or practice and we try to get my youngest involved in something so she doesn't rot in her room, lol.
that's great! so you may not need more time with the kids you need some me time. canceling DTV frees up a lot of money and a small percentage of that can be used on me time.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
That's how I was. Very few live shows were watched. There is a site somewhere that I think you can google where you plug the show in and it tells you what streaming service provides it.

I think that it requires more effort to watch TV now so I do it less. It's not just on in the background because you have to actively search for a show to watch.

^^This! I used to record everything to watch later anyways. Now with just Hulu and Netflix, the only thing I miss is Food Network and HGTV. But I realized I only use those networks as background when I'm doing other things like cooking and cleaning. In my new place I can't even see or hear the TV to follow a show so more often than not I switch to Pandora (which has an app on Roku!) and listen to music. And since it's summer, by the time I'm ready to sit down and watch TV, I'm enjoying my music so much I end up on my porch with a book instead. Most of my Netflix list will still be there come winter when it's too cold to do anything else.

P.S. If you get the Roku streaming stick USB, it comes with it's own remote!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Our DTV bill is $130 w/ no movie channels. I'll have to bribe my daughter to use her Xbox to access these, :lol:

that's strange. I had the full program with everything and paid a little less than that. Dtv is really awesome about stuff, though. If you call them and tell them I need this cheaper,t hey work with you. I was able to knock mine all the way to about 50 bucks. Then I cancelled all together and I just do Netflix and hulu. But that price is not set in stone. when you call they offer free movie channels, downgrades to your boxes all kinds of stuff you can do and still keep the service. I know a lot of people advocate cutting the "entertainment" cost, but ive always rationalized at least some form of it because lets face it, when youre too poor to do much, you at least need tv to not go crazy! lol

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
that's strange. I had the full program with everything and paid a little less than that. Dtv is really awesome about stuff, though. If you call them and tell them I need this cheaper,t hey work with you. I was able to knock mine all the way to about 50 bucks. Then I cancelled all together and I just do Netflix and hulu. But that price is not set in stone. when you call they offer free movie channels, downgrades to your boxes all kinds of stuff you can do and still keep the service. I know a lot of people advocate cutting the "entertainment" cost, but ive always rationalized at least some form of it because lets face it, when youre too poor to do much, you at least need tv to not go crazy! lol

We do have HD DVR in the living room and 2 other boxes in the bedrooms. The boxes cost us $33 and our package is 79.49. That's only the second package they offer. Cheapest one is not much under that, around 10 I believe.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
^^This! I used to record everything to watch later anyways. Now with just Hulu and Netflix, the only thing I miss is Food Network and HGTV. But I realized I only use those networks as background when I'm doing other things like cooking and cleaning. In my new place I can't even see or hear the TV to follow a show so more often than not I switch to Pandora (which has an app on Roku!) and listen to music. And since it's summer, by the time I'm ready to sit down and watch TV, I'm enjoying my music so much I end up on my porch with a book instead. Most of my Netflix list will still be there come winter when it's too cold to do anything else.

P.S. If you get the Roku streaming stick USB, it comes with it's own remote!

I love HGTV and DIY network! We mainly record shows off the local networks, The Walking Dead and hubby likes Deadliest Catch and some other fishing show.

Roman

Good for you.

I'm not too worried about a credit rating anymore. But very good advice GW. I am living in the house that I'll probably live in until I die. As far as racking up a credit card bill with a high interest rate, I find that if I want something bad enough, I will appreciate it more by paying cash. I think more using cash. With credit cards, I wouldn't think, I'd just buy it, and sometimes regret it later.