How often do you redecorate your home?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is in LR because we know guys don't decorate in the first place, let alone redecorate. :jet:

I almost never redecorate, unless you count the trial and error it takes to get things looking like I want them. Once I like it, that's it - it stays that way forever. My house now could stay the way it is and I wouldn't think about changing anything.....except that freaking Tuesday Morning keeps sending me emails about all the cute things they have on sale.

So now I'm thinking, oh, new throw pillows! And a bedspread! That rug is adorable! We could use new lamps! A soft yellow paint on the walls!

:burning:

SamSpade

I get that it's in LR, but I also have a wife and two daughters. The girls like to redecorate their rooms as their tastes mature - but my wife doesn't appear to be terribly interested in doing much that is - costly. I also think that many people, as they get older, decide - "this is how I want my dining room to LOOK" and try to FIX it that way. So we haven't PAINTED anything in years, although they could use touch up.

THAT said - my wife does mix it up for our porch and yard on occasion - hang a decorative flag - put out decorative stepping stones, or decorative figurines in the garden. Change the flowers. This past week, she added decorative pillows to the porch chairs.

The BIG hurdle is still, largely - our home is just too - cluttered. We just have too much STUFF. Makes it hard to do.

Bobwhite

This is in LR because we know guys don't decorate in the first place, let alone redecorate. :jet:

I almost never redecorate, unless you count the trial and error it takes to get things looking like I want them. Once I like it, that's it - it stays that way forever. My house now could stay the way it is and I wouldn't think about changing anything.....except that freaking Tuesday Morning keeps sending me emails about all the cute things they have on sale.

So now I'm thinking, oh, new throw pillows! And a bedspread! That rug is adorable! We could use new lamps! A soft yellow paint on the walls!

I was in Home Goods the other day. The carpets are hanging on those things that you can turn like pages in a book. As I walked toward the furniture section, the carpets were open to a carpet that just took my breath away. I was close to buying that carpet right then and there, but I realized that I would have to change everything in my living room to make the carpet work. I just don't want to do that in this economy. So it will stay the way it is for another ten years.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
My rental Waldorf house I had built in 1996 still has 2 rooms with original paint. My Mechanicsville house still has all original paint and carpets (except for mom's basement apartment, she changed it up) since built in 2006. I have no sense of decorating and hate it! :D

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I hate bumping into furniture in the middle of the night, so nothing gets moved once it's in place. Piles of junk included.

LJ1999

I love decorating and redecorating. I have a few, select pieces of furniture that are top quality and such but I usually get not such good quality for the main family room so it allows me to redecorate about every 5 years. I don't go full reno, paint and such, but I like to refresh. We bought our current house 5 years ago and I am finally just about finished decorating. I love when you find just the PERFECT thing. It can take awhile but so worth it.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The main furniture stays the same but I change out decor pretty much every month depending on the upcoming holiday or season. Or I will add to the existing decor in some cases. Halloween/Thanksgiving decor gets added to my Fall decor that I already have out. Christmas decor gets added to my Winter decor.

Homer J

Power Chord
You're supposed to decorate? Been in our house since 2004 and still have stuff in boxes. That way we won't have to pack it up when we move to the retirement home.

Clem72

Let's put it this way, I still have a burlwood clock on my kitchen wall and two boris vallejo paintings in my den.

Let's put things into perspective. What is the longest you've ever stayed in one home?

PJay

I unsubscribed because they go overboard sending so many. Others do the same.

PJay

I love decorating. Redecorating there is no need because being really good at getting it right the first time. I do like to find new things I love to add to it all. Like right now I need a comfortable chair, table and light for a corner area that is screaming for something to be there. I will find exactly the right things when the decorating gods allow it.

GregV814

I aspire to "early-cheap" style, made famous in the Ma & Pa Kettle movies....cats shredded the couches, cinder block turntable for my "Archies" record collections...

Thats just me..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love decorating. Redecorating there is no need because being really good at getting it right the first time. I do like to find new things I love to add to it all. Like right now I need a comfortable chair, table and light for a corner area that is screaming for something to be there. I will find exactly the right things when the decorating gods allow it.

See, and I could have used a friend like you when putting together a house because I'm terrible at it. That's why when I finally get it right, I keep it that way forever.

10 years.

And another 10 years if you count that I decorated my apartment exactly the same as my house.
Gotcha. I don't consider changing out throw pillows redecorating.... that is more sprucing up. Same as touching up paint. If it is freshing same look, that is sprucing up.

I need to feel Zen when I walk into a room. I've been perfectly happy with several rooms in my home that haven't been changed in decades. Other rooms I'm still working on and once I hit Zen they will remain the same.

CRHS89

My problem is that I get in my head what I want...but that may not actually exist or if it does, I may not be able to find it.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm all about primitive cave, nothing has a place so everything is where it belongs.