How to best seal/protect rough cut lumber

highnote

We're finally ready to waterseal our barn this weekend. The wood has dried and there's no rain in the forecast.

We have board and batten siding. What is the best method for sealing/protecting this?

Sprayer? Roller? Brush?

Someone told me to spray first, then use a roller.
Someone else suggested using all three.

This is the first time watersealing the barn, so it will probably soak up a lot. Someone suggested using some sort of sealant/primer before the actual watersealer so it won't soak up as much. Anyone done this?

My husband just thinks he can give it a quick spray-n-go. If you spray only (no roller or brush) won't it leave drip marks?

Oh, and any advice on brands/products to use? I've read poor reviews on thompsons... and I've not had good luck with olympic or cabot products either. Anyone ever use larsen timber wood preservative? Any other product recommendations?

DEEKAYPEE8569

We're finally ready to waterseal our barn this weekend. The wood has dried and there's no rain in the forecast.

We have board and batten siding. What is the best method for sealing/protecting this?

Sprayer? Roller? Brush?

Someone told me to spray first, then use a roller.
Someone else suggested using all three.

This is the first time watersealing the barn, so it will probably soak up a lot. Someone suggested using some sort of sealant/primer before the actual watersealer so it won't soak up as much. Anyone done this?

My husband just thinks he can give it a quick spray-n-go. If you spray only (no roller or brush) won't it leave drip marks?

Oh, and any advice on brands/products to use? I've read poor reviews on thompsons... and I've not had good luck with olympic or cabot products either. Anyone ever use larsen timber wood preservative? Any other product recommendations?

Did you already see this?
How to Paint Rough Cut Exterior Wood | eHow.com

Maybe something here will help.....