How to buy Gold and Silver

Freefaller

I am considering buying Gold and silver and holding it in a safe deposit box but I have never done that and don't really know the best way to go about it. Can anyone here shed some light on the process and what to avoid?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
there are plenty of places on line ... buy your metal of choice have it delivered

I bought several 1oz Silver Bars off or Ebay some yrs back ....
you always pay over spot doing that, but at the time the going price was $ 8 oz

https://www.kitco.com/

why do you want to buy Gold and Silver ?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

nobody really

I need a nap
I dated a guy who did that -- he bought them from e-bay (a reputable seller from there), and other sites. Now he's got about 50K (or so he says) in gold and silver.

Spitfire

The only physical precious metals I hold are in jewelry and watches, though I don’t hold them as “investments”. I enjoy and collect watches and my wife jewelry.

Another way to take advantage of price moves in this market is to invest in public companies that are in the gold/precious metal business. Processing, refining, selling, etc.

If you want to hold the hard assets, this is a tricky play in my experience, and it’s not for everyone.

black dog

Free America
Gold and silver are popular with some of the gun culture, at most gun shows there will be a few vendors the sell metals and coins for those who wish to remain anonymous.

Hessian

I am considering buying Gold and silver and holding it in a safe deposit box but I have never done that and don't really know the best way to go about it. Can anyone here shed some light on the process and what to avoid?

I would tend to avoid jewelry shops that post signs 'Buying Gold"...they will hit the seller with 5-10% below value and try to sell 5-20% over spot prices. Golden Eagle coins ( https://www.goldeneaglecoin.com/) is up the road near Laurel. Will sell on line & at their site about 2-2.5% above spot prices. --Very reputable.

Nationwide gold & bullion reserve offered a sweet deal last year & I took the risk...a VERY smooth transaction, 100% legit experience. They just mailed me a discount card for future purchases. Sold the coins I bought months later for a modest profit.

*ALWAYS buy during a slump...NEVER during a surge. Prices for gold jumped this December...wait for it to cool back down before investing.
*Watch the BIG gold consumers...ie India,...before wedding season. Their surge buying affects the whole world's prices.

Bonehead

I buy and hold silver eagles whenever I have some extra funds. I also like the half ounce walking liberty rounds from JM Bullion.