How to Catch Osama

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Foreign Policy: How to Catch Osama

Osama bin Laden needs an extensive logistics network to stay active and in touch with his followers, and that presents an opportunity. Here’s how I’d catch him.

Above all, avoid collateral damage. As Baitullah Mehsud, the leader of the Pakistani Taliban, recently told an interviewer, “I traveled three months to recruit and only got 10-15 persons. One bombing by the Americans that killed innocents, and I got hundreds of recruits!”

..........................................................................................................

The Bush administration is looking for illusive, quick results when a long-term perspective is crucial for success. Frequent U.S. airstrikes by drones in Pakistan’s tribal belt and the recent limited land operation in South Waziristan by U.S. forces have sparked anger throughout the country. Outraged moderates are joining hands with religious parties, asking the government to review Pakistan’s alliance in the war on terror. The government will resist such pressure, but it will be hard to pacify the public if these strikes escalate.

Today, bin Laden is a source of inspiration for Islamist radicals, not an operational commander. Thus, although his capture may be an important symbolic victory, it will not be a strategic defeat for al Qaeda or the Taliban. But the United States will not accomplish either symbolic or strategic victories against its enemy unless it has Pakistan as a partner.

Toxick

Splat
The Bush administration is looking for illusive, quick results when a long-term perspective is crucial for success.

:killingme

If juicy irony was literally juicy, I'd be glistening.

I seem to remember Bush saying something along the lines that this was going to be a long-term endeavor, but everyone else wanted a solution that was going to take two weeks, with no loss of life or property damage.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah...

I seem to remember Bush saying something along the lines that this was going to be a long-term endeavor, but everyone else wanted a solution that was going to take two weeks, with no loss of life or property damage.

...well W started talking about long term after we ####ed it all up and didn't finish OBL off right away. Like we should have.

Toxick

Splat
...well W started talking about long term after we ####ed it all up and didn't finish OBL off right away. Like we should have.

Well - that actually wasn't a vote of confidence in Dubya, for whom my feelings pretty much mirror yours.

It was just an enjoyment of the irony of the argument in question.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

You mean it's not like HALO or DOOM with GOD-MODE?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah...

Well - that actually wasn't a vote of confidence in Dubya, for whom my feelings pretty much mirror yours.

It was just an enjoyment of the irony of the argument in question.

...that's were i was meaning for it to go; irony about the irony.

It should be quick.
It can't be quick.
It will be long.
They are trying quick.
Long is better.
Quick would have been better.
It can't be long.
It can't be quick.

I feel like W has spent 7 years going around and around with whether or not to have a wart removed and the whole thing has done nothing but get worse and worse.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Foreign Policy: How to Catch Osama

Osama bin Laden needs an extensive logistics network to stay active and in touch with his followers, and that presents an opportunity. Here’s how I’d catch him.

Above all, avoid collateral damage. As Baitullah Mehsud, the leader of the Pakistani Taliban, recently told an interviewer, “I traveled three months to recruit and only got 10-15 persons. One bombing by the Americans that killed innocents, and I got hundreds of recruits!”

..........................................................................................................

The Bush administration is looking for illusive, quick results when a long-term perspective is crucial for success. Frequent U.S. airstrikes by drones in Pakistan’s tribal belt and the recent limited land operation in South Waziristan by U.S. forces have sparked anger throughout the country. Outraged moderates are joining hands with religious parties, asking the government to review Pakistan’s alliance in the war on terror. The government will resist such pressure, but it will be hard to pacify the public if these strikes escalate.

Today, bin Laden is a source of inspiration for Islamist radicals, not an operational commander. Thus, although his capture may be an important symbolic victory, it will not be a strategic defeat for al Qaeda or the Taliban. But the United States will not accomplish either symbolic or strategic victories against its enemy unless it has Pakistan as a partner.

I think it would be easy to catch him. Isn't he campaining in just about every major city these days? Oops, sorry, that's the other Osamba, Obama Hussain, whatever this name is. I keep getting them mixed up.