How Women Pick Mates vs. Flings

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Science might be able to explain our fascination with Brad Pitt's chiseled jaw and George Clooney's smoldering eyes.

Women seem to judge potential mates by how masculine their features are, new research shows. Men with square jaws and well-defined brow ridges are seen as good short-term partners, while those with more feminine traits such as a rounder face and fuller lips are perceived as better long-term mates.

In the study, 854 male and female subjects viewed a series of male head shots that had been digitally altered to exaggerate or minimize masculine traits. The participants then answered questions about how they expected the men in the photos to behave.

Overwhelmingly, participants said those with more masculine features were likely to be risky and competitive and also more apt to fight, challenge bosses, cheat on spouses and put less effort into parenting. Those with more feminine faces were seen as good parents and husbands, hard workers and emotionally supportive mates.

Despite all the negative attributes, when asked who they would choose for a short-term relationship, women still selected the more masculine looking men. Brad and George then would be picks for a brief romance, if not the long haul.

Makes sense...or does it? :eyebrow:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Nah, that leaves too many variables out. Even the DUMBEST women I know don't pick a mate exclusively on appearances. Wish I could say that about men! :lmao: :doh:

I have noticed that the older a women gets the more she leans toward picking with her head instead of her heart though.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
I'm not sure how I determine who I will date but I would say the men with the round faces and more feminine attributes would probably be my idea of the guy who is just "too nice". The chiseled ones would probably be the ones I feel skeptical of and steer clear of.

For me I would probably try to find someone who is a mixture of both. Probably why my dating life is so spreaded out. I'm looking for the round face with the well-defined brow ridges. It's a rare combination though.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
:shrug:

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/061103_mate_selection.html

Biologists have long thought that female animals looked for outward cues, like a pea####’s vibrant feathers, as signals of genetic quality. But the new study, published last month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, suggests otherwise.

“Female mate choice is likely a very important evolutionary force that does much more than select for ornaments in a few species,” said John Byers of the University of Idaho and lead author of the study. “It may be universally important in maintaining genetic quality.”

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
elaine said:
Biologists have long thought that female animals looked for outward cues, like a pea####’s vibrant feathers, as signals of genetic quality. But the new study, published last month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, suggests otherwise.

Yeah, if I see a guy with feathers on, I'm running the other way. :lmao:

Cowgirl

It's pretty neat to me. Ever watch those "The Anatomy of Sex" shows on TV? They're very interesting. I saw one that was studying how women react to mens' BO. Women were told to smell men's armpits (sweaty and smelly) and tell which they found the most offensive, and those that were not offensive (or least offensive). Then they studied the DNA of the men, and those with the least offensive BO to the woman were also the most genetically different, and vice versa. The scientists said this was nature's way of trying to prevent inbreeding....pretty cool how we are being affected by things and we don't even realize it.

LordStanley

I know nothing
LexiGirl75 said:
I'm not sure how I determine who I will date but I would say the men with the round faces and more feminine attributes would probably be my idea of the guy who is just "too nice". The chiseled ones would probably be the ones I feel skeptical of and steer clear of.

For me I would probably try to find someone who is a mixture of both. Probably why my dating life is so spreaded out. I'm looking for the round face with the well-defined brow ridges. It's a rare combination though.

Its so easy a cave man could do it

mAlice

professional daydreamer
elaine said:
:shrug:

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/061103_mate_selection.html

“Female mate choice is likely a very important evolutionary force that does much more than select for ornaments in a few species,” said John Byers of the University of Idaho and lead author of the study. “It may be universally important in maintaining genetic quality.”

:lmao:

How Women Pick Mates vs... 01-03-2007 12:35 PM Ha ha, your 'pea####'s' got bleeped

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
LexiGirl75 said:

So are the chiseled ones the brooding James Dean types who have terrible tantrums and commitment problems? Merrill Markoe proposed that the "too nice" accountants and stock brokers go to chiseled-type school, where they learn to wear leather jacks and stare distantly at the ocean.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Damn I have a round face, but I definitely don't have feminine attribs. Does this mean I'm screwed? :killingme

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I've read that a woman's preference between the two extremes of men changes depending on the time of her cycle.

With that in mind, what if every woman had two husbands? One would be the round-faced, dependable type who would keep the bills paid and the house in good repair. He would provide fulfilling lovemaking but not be the one to actually sire the children. That would be done by the other husband, who would be the chiseled-faced irresponsible type who would have little interaction with her. He would spend his days riding his motorcycle and drinking at the bar and watching sports in his plasma TV-equipped cave. His role in the marriage would be the sperm donor, offering quick, unsatisfying sex during commercial breaks in "WWE Raw."

LordStanley

I know nothing
Tonio said:
the other husband, who would be the chiseled-faced irresponsible type who would have little interaction with her. He would spend his days riding his motorcycle and drinking at the bar and watching sports in his plasma TV-equipped cave. His role in the marriage would be the sperm donor, offering quick, unsatisfying sex during commercial breaks in "WWE Raw."

I dont know... That sounds like a good gig to me. The sex may be unsatisfying for her, but not him. :whistle: