How would you handle it?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
It's not about toughening up at all. I have three boys, all three have differing tastes and likes and we've raised them all the same way. It isn't about catering to their whims, its about figuring out what works for each one individually. Sometimes that means trade-off and choosing battles.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider an appropriate, healthy lunch for a 5 y/o?

Turkey and cheese roll-ups, an apple and a few whole-wheat crackers? 5 y/o's are easy. They eat what you give them or they go hungry. They'll figure it out. It's 8 and older that get tougher because they're much more opinionated and aware of all the other sh!tty/tasty foods around them. Either way the lunch needs a decent amount of protein, way less carbs, esp since no matter how active the kid is...those are all a bunch of refined carbs. And please don't think the peanut butter on pre-packaged PB crackers is protein. That discussion belongs in a different thread entirely.

Peler's right. Try and find some fine print somewhere about them finding your kid hungry, they have the rigth to charge you. Either way I can't understand taking away a bunch of different crackers and snacks and replacing it with a frikkin corndog :doh:

mitzi

It's not about toughening up at all. I have three boys, all three have differing tastes and likes and we've raised them all the same way. It isn't about catering to their whims, its about figuring out what works for each one individually. Sometimes that means trade-off and choosing battles.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider an appropriate, healthy lunch for a 5 y/o?

Peanut butter or lunch meat/cheese/lettuce sandwich. Something crunchy (yes, maybe goldfish or something similar) to go with the sandwich or those little cheese cubes (on a peanut butter day). Fruit. Again, no offense meant but I don't see a balanced lunch in what you sent with your child. It's mostly crackers and there's hardly any peanut butter on those snack crackers. I'm sure there were times I didn't send mine with a perfectly balanced lunch but I tried. Good luck sorting this out with the school.

Natron0915

Turkey and cheese roll-ups, an apple and a few whole-wheat crackers? 5 y/o's are easy. They eat what you give them or they go hungry. They'll figure it out. It's 8 and older that get tougher because they're much more opinionated and aware of all the other sh!tty/tasty foods around them. Either way the lunch needs a decent amount of protein, way less carbs, esp since no matter how active the kid is...those are all a bunch of refined carbs. And please don't think the peanut butter on pre-packaged PB crackers is protein. That discussion belongs in a different thread entirely.

Peler's right. Try and find some fine print somewhere about them finding your kid hungry, they have the rigth to charge you. Either way I can't understand taking away a bunch of different crackers and snacks and replacing it with a frikkin corndog :doh:

It was club crackers with creamy Jif...Agree with you on the pre-packaged stuff :barf:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It was club crackers with creamy Jif

Would he go for peanut butter smeared on apple slices, skip the club crackers? My grandson loves that because he can smear the pb himself. He also likes plain yogurt with a side of fruit so he can make his own concoctions. He really likes carrot and celery sticks with hummus, if you can believe that. Dippy things and pretty much anything he can put together himself makes him happy. He also likes a thermos of pho, but he's a little weirdo.

mitzi

Would he go for peanut butter smeared on apple slices, skip the club crackers? My grandson loves that because he can smear the pb himself. He also likes plain yogurt with a side of fruit so he can make his own concoctions. He really likes carrot and celery sticks with hummus, if you can believe that. Dippy things and pretty much anything he can put together himself makes him happy. He also likes a thermos of pho, but he's a little weirdo.

My grandson likes hot dogs from Larry's :killingme

Natron0915

He has lately...he even is dipping his carrot's in it. What's pho?

pebbles

Oh I'd be PISSED! The teacher aide would be paying for it. I know what MY kid eats & how much. That is not their concern as to what they eat. If the kid didn't HAVE a lunch then they would be justified but they had NO BUSINESS doing that whatsoever!

What school? Curious....

Natron0915

Oh I'd be PISSED! The teacher aide would be paying for it. I know what MY kid eats & how much. That is not their concern as to what they eat. If the kid didn't HAVE a lunch then they would be justified but they had NO BUSINESS doing that whatsoever!

What school? Curious....

Would rather not say...to protect the innocent and all...

somdwatch

Personally, now that mine are grown and watching the current state of our education system. I would make all of their actions against your belief's or wants for your children a major issue. It's taken at least two decades for the federal government to pull your parental RIGHTS out from underneath you. You can only fight one battle at a time. The principal should hate to see you coming when they have an assinine policy that removes your say in the upbring, feeding of your child. They are only there to teach what is dictated by state and federal law. Not raise your child for you.

pebbles

He has lately...he even is dipping his carrot's in it. What's pho?
I have a 6 year old in 1st grade, & he's recently started eating carrots dipped in peanut butter....where he got the idea who knows but as long as he's eating it I don't care. I told him he should try with apples, he said maybe next time mom!

What makes me mad is when I go to put a tiny piece of candy in his lunch as a treat & he freaks out saying mommy we can't have that. I told him to eat it & tell the teacher to call me. I'm his mother & if I want to let him have a piece of candy after his sandwich & healthy sides, then he can! (P.S. he hardly ever eats sweets!)

pebbles

Would rather not say...to protect the innocent and all...

I wouldn't say they were innocent by any means!!!! Taking the lunch was over the top. Had they wanted to buy him a lunch in addition too would still be wrong but not as bad as taking his lunch that you packed! I wasn't asking for names, just the school but it's all good! :cheers: