Hoyer Statement on Reported Draft Supreme Court Decision to Overturn Roe v. Wade

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
WASHINGTON, DC -- House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today on reports of a draft Supreme Court opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization that would overturn Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey:

“If the Supreme Court’s Republican-appointed justices indeed strike down Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, it would be the most egregious assault on women’s rights and equality, women’s access to health care, and every American’s right to privacy in generations.

“I truly hope that the Court does not take the drastic and dangerous step outlined in the alleged draft decision leaked yesterday evening and return us to a reality where one’s means to travel across state lines will determine one’s freedom to seek reproductive health care. Already, Republican-led states have severely restricted women’s health care access and sought to criminalize the actions of women seeking care and those who provide that care. If it does take that step, however, House Democrats will do whatever we can, working closely with Senate Democrats and the Biden-Harris Administration, to affirm women’s right to access abortion care safely and legally in every corner of our country.

“Republican senators who voted to confirm these justices - on the promise that they would not overturn fifty years of precedent on this issue of privacy rights - must join Democrats in taking action to protect the right of every woman to make decisions about her reproductive health care. They will bear responsibility for any impact of such a ruling on the millions of women they represent. I urge the Senate to take urgently needed action to protect the rights of women, remove the filibuster, and codify Roe v. Wade into law as soon as possible.”

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
He is too stupid to understand the court is just saying it’s up to the legislatures to pass a law not SCOTUS.
Steny, do your job and submit a bill…….

“It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

I‘m sure he never even read that…….

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
fifty years of precedent on this issue of privacy rights

I was wondering why they always say 'privacy rights.' So, essentially Roe v. Wade amounts to playing games with the law. It is not about a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy. They twisted the law and said it was a constitutional violation of a person's privacy rights (14th Amendment) for the government to tell her whether or not she could have an abortion. If I understand it correctly, they went this route because the constitution says nothing about a person's right to abort a life upon which they could have based a decision. Court decisions have to be based on established law, not hopes, dreams, and willy nilly whims.

If the system was honest, you could block just about every modern government infringement in our lives as a violation of our right to privacy.

Last edited:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
He is too stupid
I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, he's a devious liar and is just playing to his base in an never-ending attempt to remain in power.

When people don't think before they write:

All is not lost, if you want an abortion, just take "The Medicine:"

Last edited:

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Attorney General Frosh Statement on Roe v. Wade

BALTIMORE, MD (May 3, 2022) –
Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh today issued the following statement:

“The draft opinion of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade is a dangerous departure from 50 years of precedent. If adopted by a majority of the Court, the decision will undermine the rights of women to control their own bodies and their health care. It will subject survivors of abuse, rape and incest to additional trauma by preventing them from accessing abortions. And, as usual, a decision overturning Roe will have the most harmful and lasting impact on women of color and on poor women, many of whom already lack meaningful access to safe, affordable reproductive health care.

“A decision overturning Roe also has broader implications for our modern society, threatening the rights of all Americans to make private decisions about their lives without government interference and endangering the hard-fought rights of LGBTQ Americans. The Supreme Court is about to take a deep dive into politics, something it appropriately and historically avoids. As citizens, it is more important than ever that we demand better from those who hold power in our institutions and that we hold our elected officials accountable for their role in protecting our rights.

“Elected officials in Maryland have protected women’s rights for more than three decades, and I am proud to have been a part of those efforts both as a legislator and as the Attorney General. I am especially proud of having voted to codify Roe v. Wade in the House of Delegates in 1991 and for the work that our office has done to protect and expand access to reproductive health care services across Maryland. I am optimistic that our state will continue to be a champion for the rights of women to make their own health care decisions, and that it will continue to protect the rights to privacy for all Marylanders.”

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Cardin Responds to the Supreme Court Draft Roe Decision

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Ben Cardin (D-Md.) released the following statement in response to the Supreme Court’s draft opinion to overturn Roe v. Wade.

“If the draft opinion striking down Roe v. Wade stands, it will put the health, wellbeing and constitutional rights of women across this nation in great jeopardy. Should the court continue on this path, people in more than half of the states would immediately lose access to safe, legal abortion. Low-income families and those without the means to leave their homes for care in states like Maryland will be the most burdened.

“No level of government, whether federal, state or local, nor Congress, the President, or the Supreme Court, should interfere in personal health decisions. Despite testifying before Congress under oath that Supreme Court precedents should stand, the recently appointed conservative members of the court arrived with an agenda to overturn Roe and now they are making that a reality. Senate Republicans bear responsibility for confirming justices far outside of the legal mainstream, as well as for changing the rules for considering vacancies after the death of Justice Scalia compared to the death of Justice Ginsburg.

“Congress and the Biden administration must take swift action to protect personal reproductive and health rights for Americans. From Maryland to Mississippi, Florida to Washington State, there should be a common standard for self-determination of health decisions for women and all individuals.”

rio

I love how they all say government bodies should not have the right to interfere in anyone's health decisions. Unless it's for an undertested jab against a cold. Then it can be mandated for everyone.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
WASHINGTON, DC -- House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today on reports of a draft Supreme Court opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization that would overturn Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey:

“If the Supreme Court’s Republican-appointed justices indeed strike down Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, it would be the most egregious assault on women’s rights and equality, women’s access to health care, and every American’s right to privacy in generations.

“I truly hope that the Court does not take the drastic and dangerous step outlined in the alleged draft decision leaked yesterday evening and return us to a reality where one’s means to travel across state lines will determine one’s freedom to seek reproductive health care. Already, Republican-led states have severely restricted women’s health care access and sought to criminalize the actions of women seeking care and those who provide that care. If it does take that step, however, House Democrats will do whatever we can, working closely with Senate Democrats and the Biden-Harris Administration, to affirm women’s right to access abortion care safely and legally in every corner of our country.

“Republican senators who voted to confirm these justices - on the promise that they would not overturn fifty years of precedent on this issue of privacy rights - must join Democrats in taking action to protect the right of every woman to make decisions about her reproductive health care. They will bear responsibility for any impact of such a ruling on the millions of women they represent. I urge the Senate to take urgently needed action to protect the rights of women, remove the filibuster, and codify Roe v. Wade into law as soon as possible.”
Maryland just passed the most liberal pro abortion law. Anything SCOTUS does will not undo that. All the rhetoric from Maryland's Progressive Politicos is Bull Cockey.
They have stated its up to the Legislative peeps to make laws not Scotus.

So any Maryland Politicos bitches is/are BS
“It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

HemiHauler

I love how they all say government bodies should not have the right to interfere in anyone's health decisions. Unless it's for an undertested jab against a cold. Then it can be mandated for everyone.

The jab wasn't mandated for everyone.

I received it voluntarily because I want to travel.

I otherwise received no mandate from anyone to take the jab.

You are therefore either lying or grossly misinformed.

Which is it?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The jab wasn't mandated for everyone.

I received it voluntarily because I want to travel.

I otherwise received no mandate from anyone to take the jab.

You are therefore either lying or grossly misinformed.

Which is it?
But you are special.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Why is he even commenting? ANY elected official commenting on a leaked SCOTUS brief would be (to me) trying to strong arm the court in changing their decision.

Arguments are done, if you had something to say you should have addressed the court, not the press.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron

Leaked Supreme Court Roe v. Wade Decision Could Mean Massive Danger to Reproductive Healthcare, Invasion of Privacy​

WASHINGTON — The Green Party of the United States has expressed alarm and calls to organize for the right to safe, legal and confidential access to abortions, following reports of a leaked draft Supreme Court majority opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade.

“This is an extremely disturbing decision from the Supreme Court,” said Green Party National Women’s Caucus Spokesperson Holly Hart. “It would overturn decades of understanding and policy that protected women’s privacy and health. If access to safe abortion is handed to state legislatures, we will see a greater erosion of access throughout the country. Tragically, some of the most severe limitations and hardships will fall on poor women, and women with health problems. Denying access to safe abortions in the past has done little or nothing to reduce their number. Instead, we can expect to see ‘destination clinics’ where women will have to travel. Those without resources will resort to ‘back-alley’ abortion providers,” said Hart.

The Green Party’s national platform calls choosing whether to have a child “intensely personal” and asserts the right to safe and legal access to abortion as “non-negotiable.” Greens call for a wide array of universally affordable and easily available contraceptive options for women and men.

“Since 1973, the decision of Roe v. Wade has protected the right to have an abortion in the United States,” said Green Party National Women’s Caucus Co-Chair Ann Link. “If this decision is finalized, members of the Supreme Court will be violating their vow to uphold the Constitution to serve their own personal ideology. Along with setting a dangerous precedent with totalitarian implications, this decision would allow states to interfere in private and protected decisions that are essential to reproductive healthcare as a human right. On a more personal level, I feel a deep sadness that so many will no longer be free to make their own decisions on whether to continue or terminate a pregnancy,” said Link.

Link argued that overturning Roe would be a profound violation of the 14th Amendment:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Green Party leaders also note the draft decision could threaten rights even beyond abortion access. “This ruling’s references toObergefell v. Hodges could, for example, create repercussions for marriage equality and LGBTQIA+ rights,” said Green Party National Co-Chair Garret Wassermann. “It is necessary to organize and elect candidates who will protect and expand these kinds of hard-won rights while democratizing our institutions to ensure they are not under the constant threat of revocation,” said Wassermann.

MORE INFORMATION

Roe v. Wade

14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Green Party Platform on Reproductive Rights

Green Party of the United States

www.gp.org

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

Leaked Supreme Court Roe v. Wade Decision Could Mean Massive Danger to Reproductive Healthcare, Invasion of Privacy​

WASHINGTON — The Green Party of the United States has expressed alarm and calls to organize for the right to safe, legal and confidential access to abortions, following reports of a leaked draft Supreme Court majority opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade.

“This is an extremely disturbing decision from the Supreme Court,” said Green Party National Women’s Caucus Spokesperson Holly Hart. “It would overturn decades of understanding and policy that protected women’s privacy and health. If access to safe abortion is handed to state legislatures, we will see a greater erosion of access throughout the country. Tragically, some of the most severe limitations and hardships will fall on poor women, and women with health problems. Denying access to safe abortions in the past has done little or nothing to reduce their number. Instead, we can expect to see ‘destination clinics’ where women will have to travel. Those without resources will resort to ‘back-alley’ abortion providers,” said Hart.

The Green Party’s national platform calls choosing whether to have a child “intensely personal” and asserts the right to safe and legal access to abortion as “non-negotiable.” Greens call for a wide array of universally affordable and easily available contraceptive options for women and men.

“Since 1973, the decision of Roe v. Wade has protected the right to have an abortion in the United States,” said Green Party National Women’s Caucus Co-Chair Ann Link. “If this decision is finalized, members of the Supreme Court will be violating their vow to uphold the Constitution to serve their own personal ideology. Along with setting a dangerous precedent with totalitarian implications, this decision would allow states to interfere in private and protected decisions that are essential to reproductive healthcare as a human right. On a more personal level, I feel a deep sadness that so many will no longer be free to make their own decisions on whether to continue or terminate a pregnancy,” said Link.

Link argued that overturning Roe would be a profound violation of the 14th Amendment:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Green Party leaders also note the draft decision could threaten rights even beyond abortion access. “This ruling’s references toObergefell v. Hodges could, for example, create repercussions for marriage equality and LGBTQIA+ rights,” said Green Party National Co-Chair Garret Wassermann. “It is necessary to organize and elect candidates who will protect and expand these kinds of hard-won rights while democratizing our institutions to ensure they are not under the constant threat of revocation,” said Wassermann.

MORE INFORMATION

Roe v. Wade

14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Green Party Platform on Reproductive Rights

Green Party of the United States

www.gp.
Why do you keep posting this Bullshit.....they are not outlawing abortion......?
Even a dumbshit like you should know that...