HUD moves to cancel illegal immigrants' public housing access

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Trump administration is proposing a new rule to try to block some 32,000 illegal immigrant-led families from claiming public housing assistance, saying it’s unfair to hundreds of thousands of Americans who are stuck on waiting lists.

Housing and Urban Development notified Congress Wednesday of the new rule, kicking off a schedule of publication and notice and comment that could have the plan finalized later this summer.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/apr/17/hud-moves-cancel-illegal-immigrants-public-housing/

no doubt a lawsuit is in coming from the left

Hijinx

President Trump is tightening the screws.
It's no fun, but it is needed.
Many times the things that need doing are not popular but it takes balls to do what is necessary.

This_person

What's amazing to me is that having an illegal alien have access to all of this is currently legal. How is that possible?

Clem72

We give housing to children?

Sounds like not for long. More seriously though, we provide assistance to children via their parents. Health insurance for citizen children can include parents, parents of citizen children can qualify for WIC regardless of status, so my assumption is that poor families can be included in HUD under the same reasoning.

Just my guess.

This_person

Sounds like not for long. More seriously though, we provide assistance to children via their parents. Health insurance for citizen children can include parents, parents of citizen children can qualify for WIC regardless of status, so my assumption is that poor families can be included in HUD under the same reasoning.

Just my guess.
There should have always been a caveat that says illegal aliens were exempt. It makes no sense that they were not.

If that makes the kids exempt, that's fine. I can live with that.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What's amazing to me is that having an illegal alien have access to all of this is currently legal. How is that possible?
I worked with some illegals in northern Virginia. Often it's the anchor babies that allows access to public services. So while the parents aren't here legally, the kids get social security numbers and US passports. Then they used those documents to apply for benefits on behalf of those children. And some of those benefits end up helping out the entire household.

This_person

I worked with some illegals in northern Virginia. Often it's the anchor babies that allows access to public services. So while the parents aren't here legally, the kids get social security numbers and US passports. Then they used those documents to apply for benefits on behalf of those children. And some of those benefits end up helping out the entire household.
That's pretty much what Clem was saying, too.

I just think it's wrong. Children who are not orphans have parents - they are not wards of the state. If we are going to give benefits to the kids and they have parents but the parents can't support them legally, we should do the same thing we do with kids taken because their parents are in jail and that is make the kids part of "the system". The parents want to take care of their kids? Do it by living somewhere legally, or face the consequences of your illegal actions.

I'm still shocked that the system allows for children who are not wards of the state to receive benefits individually instead of through their parents or legal guardians. That's just wrong to me. A three-year old can't apply for benefits, it takes a legal guardian. If the person asking for the benefits in lieu of the parents is not here legally, help them all IMMEDIATELY go to where the person (and their kids, if they want) can live legally.