Hughes Net internet service

Palominolover

Does anyone here have Hughes net for their internet service?

If so what do you like/dislike about it?

Where I am located I have the option of them or dialup. I currently
have dialup but it is SLOW, and I want something else!

I have tried cable but they want 6K to run the cable to my house,
which is 18 ft off the road. Verizon does not offer service here
either.

So, before I spend the money I want to get some info on Hughes
Net to see if it is worth it. It has to be better then dialup, right?

Thanks for any info anyone can offer.

millertc

My sister has it and she is not happy with it at all. She said they suspended her service for 24 hours for "over-usage". Verizon is not available in her area (Newburg) so she is going to try Comcast. Her biggest complaint is for all the money she pays each month they should not limit her service. She drove all the way to my house (Mechanicsville) to use my Verizon DSL. Even before the suspension she was not happy with the speed. I am not familiar with running cable but could you do it yourself and save the 6K and just have them connect it? Is it just running the cable to and from box to your house? You dig a trench to bury it. My husband did that with our Directv cable to save the money the contractor wanted to do it.

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Does anyone here have Hughes net for their internet service?

If so what do you like/dislike about it?

I want to get some info on Hughes
Net to see if it is worth it. It has to be better then dialup, right?

Have it, costs $60/month, temporary heavy weather outages, limited usage. Still better than dial-up. I've had it for 4 years and only recently needed dish adjustment and upgrade to the tune of $125.

My sister has it and she is not happy with it at all. She said they suspended her service for 24 hours for "over-usage". Verizon is not available in her area (Newburg) so she is going to try Comcast. Her biggest complaint is for all the money she pays each month they should not limit her service.

I telecommute, upload/download a lot and have never had an overusage.

Question for anyone ... if I put heat-tape on my dish would it keep it from filling up with snow? My dish is on a 2nd story 8/12 pitch roof and in winters past I've have had to climb up there and dump snow out so I can get signal. I'm not fond of ladders on 2nd story snowy rooftops and moving it isn't a current option. Any suggestions?

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
I had HughesNet and it sucked. Try a wireless aircard through Sprint that can go in a wireless router.

I never had an issue with snow, but I did have have a piece on the LNB that flooded whenever it rained hard.

luvscats

we've had it for a couple of years now. no problems. like someone said earlier, slow during heavy storms. we have satellite. we're off the road also and didn't want to pay the big bucks to have cable run to our house. never had any overusage problems but we're at work during the day. and, maybe it is different if you have kids who want to use the system alot?? just guessing. anyway, it beats dial up hands down.

K

Kain99

Hughes is great in the summer sucks in the winter. No idea why.

Palominolover

Go with an air card from Verizon or Sprint - same price, faster speeds - lower startup/equipment cost

We tried a card from Verizon and service was not offered in the Clements
area so we had to return it.
Is the one from Sprint the same? Maybe I will try and contact them
and see if they offer service in this area.
I am tired of dialup!

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
Go with an air card from Verizon or Sprint - same price, faster speeds - lower startup/equipment cost

We tried a card from Verizon and service was not offered in the Clements
area so we had to return it.
Is the one from Sprint the same? Maybe I will try and contact them
and see if they offer service in this area.
I am tired of dialup!

yes Sprint is the same.....Sprint may be serviced in your area. I had to go with Verizon cause the signal was much stronger then Sprint in my area. I get rev.a where I live and with Sprint it wasn't rev.a all the time.

Bottom line with either Verizon or Sprint it's $59.99 a month...Sprint is unlimited and VZ is 5GB a month. Each are comparable for Speeds and latency.

Hughesnet you will be frustrated with the daily caps....poor technical service, extremely slow speeds and terrible latency.

Sprint/ VZ you will average around 800-1.4kbps download and 300-500kbps upload. Latency around 100-130ms

Hughesnet will be a 200-600 kbps download and around 20-200kbps upload. Latency will be around 800ms - 1400ms.

Go with a Aircard.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Question for anyone ... if I put heat-tape on my dish would it keep it from filling up with snow? My dish is on a 2nd story 8/12 pitch roof and in winters past I've have had to climb up there and dump snow out so I can get signal. I'm not fond of ladders on 2nd story snowy rooftops and moving it isn't a current option. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest putting the tape on the back of the reflector, that should work fine.

Palominolover

Sprint is the same.....Sprint may be serviced in your area

I checked with Sprint and they do not offer service in my area either.
So I guess it is either keep the dialup or go with Hughes :(

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
We have hughes net, it is horrible. Like people have said the weather slows it down a lot. We have the 200mb a day limit, which really blows. We have no other options other than dial up and the air card. Metrocast is supposed to come down near us but it will be a while. So until then im getting an air card for my comp, and the rest of the family can use the sat.