Hummingbird Migration 2009

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
They're here................ and they are moving north.

I just hung my feeders. I usually see one on/or around the middle of this month.

map-rubythroat-us.gif

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Remember..not too many will show up at first and they are picky about clean feeders and fresh nectar. They don't really come on strong until the end of June.

T

toppick08

Thanks Sharon........my first one was on the 22'nd last year, about a week later than '07.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
First one!

I just happened to notice a hummer at my feeder. :yahoo:

It looks to be just resting. I didn't see it eat. I don't know how long it was there, but it sat for few minutes and then flew off.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I just put a feeder out. This is my first year doing so. Will I get any hummingbirds? And how often should I clean/change it out? I was thinking once a week.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I don't recall seeing hummers at my house. If I put out a feeder, are my chances of them stopping by better?

Yes, since flowers are not very abundant in our area right now. If you don't want to bother with a feeder, plant some red salvia (see pic) when the weather gets warmer. I had 6 planters on my deck one year and the birds came by to feed.

esw1er.jpg

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Are hummingbirds particular about the type of feeder? There's a tube that hangs from the bottom of the bottle, kinda' like a hamster water bottle, and the type that looks like a flower stuck in a vase.

Do I have to use distilled water, or can I just boil tap water?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Are hummingbirds particular about the type of feeder? There's a tube that hangs from the bottom of the bottle, kinda' like a hamster water bottle, and the type that looks like a flower stuck in a vase.

Do I have to use distilled water, or can I just boil tap water?

I don't even boil my water, I just use very hot water with sugar and I have all of the hummingbirds in Calvert County. :lol:

They are picky about cleanliness and that's about it. If you've never had a feeder before, you won't immediately have tons of birds. It takes some years as they return year after year (and apparently bring friends and family).

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't even boil my water, I just use very hot water with sugar and I have all of the hummingbirds in Calvert County. :lol:

They are picky about cleanliness and that's about it. If you've never had a feeder before, you won't immediately have tons of birds. It takes some years as they return year after year (and apparently bring friends and family).

Actually, I get hummingbirds every year. I have tons of gladiola that they love. I'm sure I'll get more when I put the feeders out.