Hunting question

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Two questions.

1) Are there restrictions (other than particular seasons bow, muzzleloader, etc.) on the type of gun/ammunition you can use when hunting?

2) What would a 7.62X54R round do to a deer?

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Bustem' Down said:
Two questions.

1) Are there restrictions (other than particular seasons bow, muzzleloader, etc.) on the type of gun/ammunition you can use when hunting?

#1. Yes depending on where you are hunting.

#2. Kill it.

:yay:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I know Rifles are limited in MD where you can hunt with them. I think that you can't use them at all in SOMD, only in Western MD

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Magnum said:
I know Rifles are limited in MD where you can hunt with them. I think that you can't use them at all in SOMD, only in Western MD
Well, I'm getting ready to move to California so I guess good luck to me on that one. I'm thinking of buying a Mosin Nagant M38 because it's fun to shoot, but was hoping I could use it to hunt with if I got the passing fancy. I'm not really a hunter, just been a couple times.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Bustem' Down said:
Well, I'm getting ready to move to California so I guess good luck to me on that one. I'm thinking of buying a Mosin Nagant M38 because it's fun to shoot, but was hoping I could use it to hunt with if I got the passing fancy. I'm not really a hunter, just been a couple times.
A guy I know is selling a few of his colletor guns. I am thinking about getting his .50 cal sniper rifle and a remington 700 PSS :yay:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Bustem' Down said:
California MD? Or over on the other side? If you have questions about MD you could check the MD DNR website they could give you exact locations, it's been about 15 years since I did my hunters safety course so I sure some things have changed, I have not been hunting since I got out of school

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Magnum said:
California MD? Or over on the other side? If you have questions about MD you could check the MD DNR website they could give you exact locations, it's been about 15 years since I did my hunters safety course so I sure some things have changed, I have not been hunting since I got out of school
Oh sorry I must have spelled it wrong. Kalifornia. :lmao:

N

nitwhit3286

Hunting is bad..just thought I would put that out there. :yay:

R

RadioPatrol

Bustem' Down said:

http://7.62x54r.net/

:howdy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
Two questions.

1. Yes

2. It seems to be the poachers round of choice around here. Doesn't seem to have a lot of knock down power but will kill a deer with a good heart lung shot, but unfortunately it is an illegal round and poachers do not like to track.

dustin

UAIOE
7.62x54R has about the same energy as a 30-06. M38 is nice. I was at a gun show last weekend and saw multiple m38s and 91/30s for 95 bucks each. Packed with cosmoline at that.

also those 91/30 are HEAVY. like holding out a log. M38 is a bit lighter. That can be good or bad I guess.

*EDIT* I was always told that hunting with rifle in southern MD was illegal. Only bow and shotgun???

Last edited:
O

oldnavy

dustin said:
*EDIT* I was always told that hunting with rifle in southern MD was illegal. Only bow and shotgun???

True and False.

In the southern part of the Eastern Shore of Maryland (DELMARVA peninsula) you can hunt with a rifle. However, most folks consider "southern Maryland" to be St. Mary's, Calvert, Charles counties and over here you can't hunt with a rifle...it is in fact bow and shotgun only.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
From the DNR site http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/weapon.asp

Rifles may be used to hunt upland game (except dove and woodcock) and forest game (except turkey during the spring season), crow, woodchuck, nutria and certain furbearing species.

It is only lawful to hunt with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction. All military, full metal jacketed, incendiary or tracer bullets are prohibited.

Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.
Reads as if you can use a rifle as long as you are a mile away from any school. I always thought they were illegal. :confused:

dustin said:
7.62x54R has about the same energy as a 30-06. M38 is nice. I was at a gun show last weekend and saw multiple m38s and 91/30s for 95 bucks each. Packed with cosmoline at that.

also those 91/30 are HEAVY. like holding out a log. M38 is a bit lighter. That can be good or bad I guess.

Don't forget muzzle loader.

Toxick

Splat
Can you shoot them with a handgun?

Say all I have is a .357, but I really really want some venison. Can I bust a cap between a deer's eyes to take care of business?

And I say hunting is good.
It puts you in touch with nature AND it puts food on your table.

There's no better eating than eating meat you killed and prepared with a side of vegatables that you grew and picked.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Toxick said:
Can you shoot them with a handgun?

Say all I have is a .357, but I really really want some venison. Can I bust a cap between a deer's eyes to take care of business?

And I say hunting is good.
It puts you in touch with nature AND it puts food on your table.

There's no better eating than eating meat you killed and prepared with a side of vegatables that you grew and picked.
Handgun Regulations -

Modern and muzzleloading handguns may be used to hunt upland game (except dove and woodcock) and forest game (handgun hunting for turkey only during the fall season), woodchuck, fox, coyote, opossum, nutria, fisher, skunk and raccoon. However, modern handguns may be used to hunt deer only in those counties where the use of a breech-loading rifle for deer hunting is permitted with the exception that modern handguns may be used to hunt deer throughout Frederick County. Any modern handgun used for deer hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more. Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Contact the Maryland State Police for information about handgun purchase, possession, transport and use in non-hunting activities.