Hurricane DENNIS

AndyMarquisLIVE

Gulf Coast braces for Hurricane Dennis
Storm strengthens to Category 4 after swiping Florida Keys

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Associated Press[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Updated: 9:50 a.m. ET July 10, 2005[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla. - Hurricane Dennis closed in on the Gulf Coast on Sunday after strengthening into a dangerous Category 4 storm, plowing toward a region still recovering from a hurricane 10 months ago.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With nearly 1.4 million people under evacuation orders, some towns in the projected path were left almost deserted. Landfall was expected Sunday afternoon somewhere along the coast of the Florida Panhandle, Alabama or Mississippi, where tropical-storm force winds of 45 mph were already being felt.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After weakening to a Category 1 storm over Cuba, Dennis strengthened in the Gulf on Saturday and became a Category 4 storm again early Sunday, with sustained winds of 145 mph. | MORE >>
[/font]

K

Kizzy

Thanks for the update.

We got some horrible news from my father last night. My grandmother (his mother) is up there and on oxygen not doing well and the storm hitting the gulf didn't make the situation any better. My father stopped by the house and said she is struggling to breath even on oxygen, and I seriously think she is very panicked. Florida has been hit so hard in the past 2-years with storms.

It makes me wonder if the reported deaths thus far are a result of the stress on the body expecting the bad weather. I know when La Plata had its Tornado one guy wrecked his car after having a heart attack, an elderly couple died (but they had previous health problems) and only 1 death was really the result of the Tornado hitting a house and the roof collapsing.

All anyone can do now is hope and pray for the best.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Kizzy said:
Thanks for the update.

We got some horrible news from my father last night. My grandmother (his mother) is up there and on oxygen not doing well and the storm hitting the gulf didn't make the situation any better. My father stopped by the house and said she is struggling to breath even on oxygen, and I seriously think she is very panicked. Florida has been hit so hard in the past 2-years with storms.

It makes me wonder if the reported deaths thus far are a result of the stress on the body expecting the bad weather. I know when La Plata had its Tornado one guy wrecked his car after having a heart attack, an elderly couple died (but they had previous health problems) and only 1 death was really the result of the Tornado hitting a house and the roof collapsing.

All anyone can do now is hope and pray for the best.
Yup, Kiz, it certainly is time to pray for them all. My brother-in-law and sister live in the Keys, and I'm not sure whether they had returned home from their vacation or not. Anyhow, don't know for sure how they're doing or where they are.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I guess Dennis made landfall at Pensacola, FL around 3 this afternoon. The weather folks are expecting 16 - 18 foot storm surges.

K

Kizzy

appyday said:
Kizzy I am sorry about your grandmother...she cant evacuate now can she?

The keys are going to be hammered I think...I am glad I dont still live down there..

She isn't near the eye of this one, just in the otter band area. If I was to have to guess, I'd say a lot of rain and maybe 30 MPH winds where she lives is the worst they got out of this one.