HVAC Company house call price

Restless

Hi! We decided to have our heat pump checked out since our electric bills have been so high. So, we called a HVAC company to come out and check it out and see if it is working okay. The gentleman was very nice, prompt, and courteous. I didn't think to ask about the charge to come out and check the system out. Usually my husband takes care of this sort of thing and remembers to ask the important questions! Anyway, we probably need a new system. Believe it or not, ours is 27 years old! Our outdoor unit we have replaced twice. The unit underneath has had a new motor installed about four years ago. The guy said our unit is leaking freon and is low on it and that it is very expensive to add. Our electric bill is probably higher because the unit has to work so hard to maintain the temperature required. He recommended installing a Hiel system. It would be about $6,000. Gulp.

Anywho, the house call was $200. Maybe I am wrong, but that seems a little steep. If we get the system from them, we were told they would deduct the $200 from the heat pump unit. My poor husband couldn't believe how much the fee was! Just wondering if this seemed reasonable both for the "house call" and also the new unit cost. I appreciate the wide range of experience and opinions given here. I believe I have asked this question before or a similar one, but now the real deal is upon us. Thanks!

PeoplesElbow

Around here $200 is the going rate. I paid $65 for someone to come to my grandfathers house just a couple years ago.

You can often get a service contract for $250ish that includes house calls.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Hancock is $110 and that covers the first 1/2 hr ...... I would check around for estimates if you're going to replace. Some systems get rebates and tax write off

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Having dealt extensively and recently with various reputable HVAC companies ..not that I wanted to..I can assure you that the $200 charge is quite reasonable and the replacement cost sounds low..I would question the SEER rating of the equipment being offered. And, replacing a system that old, the SEER rating of the replacement equipment, even the cheapest models, is so much higher than what it is replacing that your payback time in saved electric costs will be pretty short. We just replaced an early 90s vintage Coleman with a new American Standard for about 8 grand installed. The cost to run the new system is easily 200 dollars a month less than the old (3000 sf) and that in spite of keeping the space cooler when its really hot out and warmer when its really cold out.

sm8

M&S Heating & Air Does free estimates and charge $85.00 for a service call. 301-542-6498

sm8

For the places with the low cost service call make sure that price includes a diagnosis cost.
With M&S Heating & Air the cost of diagnosing the problem was included, You would then be given an estimate of how much it cost to repair the problem and decide from there.

TPD

the poor dad
Hi! We decided to have our heat pump checked out since our electric bills have been so high. So, we called a HVAC company to come out and check it out and see if it is working okay. The gentleman was very nice, prompt, and courteous. I didn't think to ask about the charge to come out and check the system out. Usually my husband takes care of this sort of thing and remembers to ask the important questions! Anyway, we probably need a new system. Believe it or not, ours is 27 years old! Our outdoor unit we have replaced twice. The unit underneath has had a new motor installed about four years ago. The guy said our unit is leaking freon and is low on it and that it is very expensive to add. Our electric bill is probably higher because the unit has to work so hard to maintain the temperature required. He recommended installing a Hiel system. It would be about $6,000. Gulp.

Anywho, the house call was $200. Maybe I am wrong, but that seems a little steep. If we get the system from them, we were told they would deduct the $200 from the heat pump unit. My poor husband couldn't believe how much the fee was! Just wondering if this seemed reasonable both for the "house call" and also the new unit cost. I appreciate the wide range of experience and opinions given here. I believe I have asked this question before or a similar one, but now the real deal is upon us. Thanks!

Were you pleased with the experience of the company you used? If so the price doesn't matter - no buyers remorse! Anywho the deed is done so price still doesn't matter. As for the price of the new system, mention the name of the HVAC company you used on here and you will get feed back on whether this is the company you want to use or not. Again, if you were pleased with their service, price doesn't matter with the new system because you will have confidence in this company doing a great job.

Keep in mind that I am NOT a price shopper - I go for quality, service, and local companies. Very seldom do I ask the price first.

sm8

I understand it is more about quality then price but I would still get two or three quotes before picking which company to go with. I feel it keeps the company's honest if they know people compare prices.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
That's really expensive. The guy I used only charges $50 to check the system and his rate to do work is $60/hr. No extra charges for evenings or weekends.

merc669

That's really expensive. The guy I used only charges $50 to check the system and his rate to do work is $60/hr. No extra charges for evenings or weekends.

You have a name and number? Also does he do like annual checkups like say TN Bowes, Winters and others do? Thanks!!

Madam Blue

You people are paying waaaay too much for ac/heat pumps. Call Mike Donaldson at 240-320-7630. Tell him Madam Blue sent you.

BOP

You people are paying waaaay too much for ac/heat pumps. Call Mike Donaldson at 240-320-7630. Tell him Madam Blue sent you.

No.

I'm not telling anyone that someone named "Madam Blue sent me." Might as well say "Miss Piggie sent me."

Madam Blue

If it would save me a lot of money I would tell them Mickey Mouse sent me if I had to. Besides, the business owner knows who Madam Blue is and will give the person being referred a great deal. It is your money. I was just making a suggestion to help you keep some of it.