I am calling BS

frequentflier

happy to be living
SMILE in Lusby gives away "free" food. When I used to shop at their thrift store, it was not unusual for well dressed women in Escalades with manicured nails, coiffed hair, blue tooth plugged in their ears (when they were new and probably expensive) while smoking a cigarette; picking up "free" food. Though I tend to be judgemental and could certainly be wrong, a majority of the people I saw there looked capable of working and paying for the food. And it's not that I saw this only once; I saw it every time I shopped there and observed the people getting the food. From a lady that volunteered there, you have to "qualify" for the food. She told me she quit because she got sick of seeing people abuse the system.
It's been several years since I have been there. I am not heartless and do understand there are people that may truly need the help. But there are so many people that abuse the priveledge and that makes people like me angry!

Bare-ya-cuda

SMILE in Lusby gives away "free" food. When I used to shop at their thrift store, it was not unusual for well dressed women in Escalades with manicured nails, coiffed hair, blue tooth plugged in their ears (when they were new and probably expensive) while smoking a cigarette; picking up "free" food. Though I tend to be judgemental and could certainly be wrong, a majority of the people I saw there looked capable of working and paying for the food. And it's not that I saw this only once; I saw it every time I shopped there and observed the people getting the food. From a lady that volunteered there, you have to "qualify" for the food. She told me she quit because she got sick of seeing people abuse the system.
It's been several years since I have been there. I am not heartless and do understand there are people that may truly need the help. But there are so many people that abuse the priveledge and that makes people like me angry!
I can’t count how many times I have been in line behind someone at the grocery store paying with snap benefits on one transaction and then buying 3 cartons of cigarettes with a cash, cash as in a wad of $100 bills. Those people know how to game the system.

Bluecrqbe

I can’t count how many times I have been in line behind someone at the grocery store paying with snap benefits on one transaction and then buying 3 cartons of cigarettes with a cash, cash as in a wad of $100 bills. Those people know how to game the system.
Where do you shop? In over 40 years of grocery shopping this has never happened to me. Or maybe it does and I don‘t realize it? What does a snap card look like? I’ll start paying attention about how people pay, this Is important for me to know.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Yes, pay attention to what goes on around you, it's very eye opening.

If they have a dark green card with a pretty blackeyed Susan on it they are getting Maryland assistance. Unemployment, welfare, you won't know exactly what, but some kind of Maryland assistance.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I enjoy shopping in the thrift store, for the thrill of the hunt. Some great stuff hides in there!

I like Vintage Value, because (supposedly) their profits go to the mentally challenged living in our area. I know at least some does, because dozens of the challenged work there. I like interacting with them, they are usually so joy filled!

It's hard to fake that.

Bare-ya-cuda

Where do you shop? In over 40 years of grocery shopping this has never happened to me. Or maybe it does and I don‘t realize it? What does a snap card look like? I’ll start paying attention about how people pay, this Is important for me to know.
Majority of the time I saw it happen at the food lion which is now weis in callaway.

limblips

PREMO Member
Friend volunteered for Toys for Tots one year. Her job was to help deliver the toys to the customers cars. She quit after day one because of the obvious abuse of the program. Escalades, nails, tattoos, weaves, Lexus', 'cedes. She also commented on how rude some of the "customers" were.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Friend volunteered for Toys for Tots one year. Her job was to help deliver the toys to the customers cars. She quit after day one because of the obvious abuse of the program. Escalades, nails, tattoos, weaves, Lexus', 'cedes. She also commented on how rude some of the "customers" were.
Yep. My youngest son was on Mike's Bikes BMX racing team for a couple years and we'd help Mike with the distribution of the huge number of free dinners he organized every year. Some folks we delivered to were clearly in need and grateful..others were clearly doing just fine and simply grabbing yet another batch of "Free chit, yo".

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I have seen that, too. I think it's outrageous when people do that. Because Thing1 is developmentally disabled, he would typically be considered eligible or would qualify through the agency he receives community supports. They would receive holiday dinners from charitable organizations, and the agency only had to compile a list of "needs" and the organization would bring that many dinners, with turkeys and all the trimmings.

I never accepted one dinner. I have the means to provide our and in fact, I could certainly even donate a dinner or two to another family if I knew of one personally. I hate when people take advantage of programs like this just out of greed.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yep. My youngest son was on Mike's Bikes BMX racing team for a couple years and we'd help Mike with the distribution of the huge number of free dinners he organized every year. Some folks we delivered to were clearly in need and grateful..others were clearly doing just fine and simply grabbing yet another batch of "Free chit, yo".
Didn't he stop his program?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I enjoy shopping in the thrift store, for the thrill of the hunt. Some great stuff hides in there!

I like Vintage Value, because (supposedly) their profits go to the mentally challenged living in our area. I know at least some does, because dozens of the challenged work there. I like interacting with them, they are usually so joy filled!

It's hard to fake that.
:yay:

Vintage Values is run by the Center for Life Enrichment -an agency in St. Mary's that provides services to individuals with *developmental/intellectual disabilities. It was established to provide meaningful employment for those individuals. We take things we're getting rid of to the one in Prince Frederick. I've found a lot of great things in there when costume shopping - and I've even found a brand new coat for Thing1 in there once.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't know..my son got out of racing 8-10 years ago and we we lost touch with Mike pretty much. There is a "back story" to that...unfortunately.
I seem to recall he stopped the program. I just can't remember why. Maybe the ungrateful people?

Anyone?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Found it...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I have seen that, too. I think it's outrageous when people do that. Because Thing1 is developmentally disabled, he would typically be considered eligible or would qualify through the agency he receives community supports. They would receive holiday dinners from charitable organizations, and the agency only had to compile a list of "needs" and the organization would bring that many dinners, with turkeys and all the trimmings.

I never accepted one dinner. I have the means to provide our and in fact, I could certainly even donate a dinner or two to another family if I knew of one personally. I hate when people take advantage of programs like this just out of greed.
It's called scruples. Some don't have any and are taught to take from the day they are born. They feel it's a God given right to live off of the hard work of others.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Critical Quote:
“I was just telling my mom, ‘You look at people pulling up in Mercedes and stuff, come on.’ If a person driving a Mercedes is in need of food, you know it’s bad,” said Randy Young, a 58-year-old Houston resident."

:roflmao:

OMG :lmao:

But these people exist and this is how they think. He no doubt voted enthusiastically for Al Green or Sheila Jackson Lee.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It's called scruples. Some don't have any and are taught to take from the day they are born. They feel it's a God given right to live off of the hard work of others.
Not only scruples but self respect. I'd be embarrassed as hell to drive into a pantry showing off an expensive ride or personal bling.