I am calling BS

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Data is probably from someone counting the hours long lines of cars at food giveout stations. I'm sure there are many that didn't have a good meal, but I'll also bet many on those lines were just looking for free food and didn't need it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's no way that's true. But this jumped out at me:
$1 Trillion. During the pandemic, from March 2020 to November 2020, American billionaires gained almost $1 trillion in total wealth, according to a recent report from the Institute for Policy Studies. (Elon Musk’s net worth has nearly quadrupled during the Covid-19 pandemic, jumping from $24.6 billion in mid-March to a Forbes-estimated $129.6 billion as of Wednesday afternoon).

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And most of those vehicles were SUVs.
That crossed my mind at first, but that's not a real indicator. There could be families that had it nice, good incomes, bought expensive new vehicles prior to losing their jobs and now are scrounging for food and enough to pay the bills. If that vehicle is thier only means of transport, they're not going to just sell it. Although selling it and getting a much less expensive vehicle would make sense.

black dog

Free America
In America familys that don't have food and are hungry have drunks or drug addicts as parents.
Every couty, town and city have multiple food pantrys to acquire endless amounts of food along with state snap benefits. Our schools are open out here just to provide breakfast and lunches to the familys with addicted and lazy pos parents... Its ****ing insane....

black dog

Free America
That crossed my mind at first, but that's not a real indicator. There could be families that had it nice, good incomes, bought expensive new vehicles prior to losing their jobs and now are scrounging for food and enough to pay the bills. If that vehicle is thier only means of transport, they're not going to just sell it. Although selling it and getting a much less expensive vehicle would make sense.

If one can afford to drive a car/truck and everything that goes along with that privilege they shouldn't have any problems buying food.... Funny how our so called poor and hungry have a car, iPhone, apt or home, are fat, have kids and pets, smoke, drink and do drugs.

Want them to change? Make them uncomfortable..... That makes change...

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If one can afford to drive a car/truck and everything that goes along with that privilege they shouldn't have any problems buying food....
You're missing the point. At the time, they COULD afford those things, but circumstances have changed.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
As someone that has traveled intensively in my time in the military, I can say this for sure. The poor of the world would gladly trade places with the poor in the US. Heck even some not so poor in other nations.

Poor in the US usually means a home with utilities, including TV and air conditioning. Most of the times the basics are met. There just isn't any money leftover for nicer things.

Bagged rice, dried beans, peanut butter, etc. If you really want food, there are economical choices out there. Sure it's monotonous. But something is better than nothing.

Most poor in the US are than way via their life choices. Dropping out of school, kids out of wedlock, poor work performance, substance abuse and other life missteps are a ticket to poverty's fast lane.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If one can afford to drive a car/truck and everything that goes along with that privilege they shouldn't have any problems buying food.... Funny how our so called poor and hungry have a car, iPhone, apt or home, are fat, have kids and pets, smoke, drink and do drugs.

Want them to change? Make them uncomfortable..... That makes change...
Don't forget the tattoos and bling.

black dog

Free America
You're missing the point. At the time, they COULD afford those things, but circumstances have changed.

I didnt miss anything....
Then they need to get another job or two... Or two./three pt jobs....

Edit...
If I can get my fat 62 year old ass out of bed 6+ days a week, and do 10+ hour days moving steel so can the lazy ones living in America off the system. If one makes a bad decision move past it and keep moving forward.
Im also well traveled, how do you believe a huge portion of Americas poor would do if they just hwppened to be born in a third world country.?
How would they fair in say Mexico? They would die from no free healthcare or hunger....

Last edited:

Bluecrqbe

There's no way that's true. But this jumped out at me:
I’m no fan of billionaires, but this article is a bit too cutesy with its data points for me. They use March 18th as the starting date to measure how much wealthier these folks got this year, thing is March 18th was the rock bottom of the stock market, full freak out panic pandemic mode, the market (and presumably these billionaires) lost over 25% of their wealth in a month!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/stock-market-today-live.html

so they should use Feb 12 as the starting point, but then what a boring headline that would be, gotta keep the folks online frothing with rage

black dog

Free America
I’m no fan of billionaires, but this article is a bit too cutesy with its data points for me. They use March 18th as the starting date to measure how much wealthier these folks got this year, thing is March 18th was the rock bottom of the stock market, full freak out panic pandemic mode, the market (and presumably these billionaires) lost over 25% of their wealth in a month!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/stock-market-today-live.html

so they should use Feb 12 as the starting point, but then what a boring headline that would be, gotta keep the folks online frothing with rage

Its only a loss if one sold in a down market....Even a dumbass welder like me knows that...

Buy the way, Hows your 401 done this year????

Bluecrqbe

Its only a loss if one sold in a down market....Even a dumbass welder like me knows that...

Buy the way, Hows your 401 done this year????
It’s done great!

I think you’re misunderstanding what I wrote, the article linked, and several others I’ve seen online, talk about how much wealth the billionares have gained during 2020 while so many people are going without. The thing I was trying to say is that those folks really haven’t gained as much as the media is saying. The articles being written are using the rock bottom of the market in March compared to todays value and using that as the gain, but I really doubt any of them Sold (or bought) anything on March 12. Like you said, it’s only a loss if you sell. So it would be more accurate to use the previous Market high in Feb compared to today, but then the “gains” would be much less, causing less “rage” of the public, and less clicks.

Just more manipulation.

These billionaires getting richer during COVID isn’t a story, no matter how much they want us to think it is.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Critical Quote:
“I was just telling my mom, ‘You look at people pulling up in Mercedes and stuff, come on.’ If a person driving a Mercedes is in need of food, you know it’s bad,” said Randy Young, a 58-year-old Houston resident."

Randy Young is a dumbass...

No, Randy, if people are driving up to food banks in Mercedes, they need to be cut off. Give these people "in need" a 1998 Plymouth mini van and a handful of vouchers good for the basic food groups. Do away with their ability to buy prepared foods and anything with more than 4g of saturated fat or 5g sugar per serving. If you aren't working for a living, you have plenty of time to cook healthy meals for your chillruns. If you want to live better, get a job or two, and quit squirting out babies. If you don't contribute to the tax base, you shouldn't get to vote.

Does this sound cold-hearted? Tough, life is hard and nothing is guaranteed. 🖕