I am done being a landlord

Pete

Repete
I do not have the temperament for it. I just toured my rental and was sickened by the state of it. I hate people.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I do not have the temperament for it. I just toured my rental and was sickened by the state of it. I hate people.

That's why I stopped renting out my apartments too.

After the last renter left the ground floor 2-br apartment, we spent a bunch of time and money on a total renovation because the place was simply trashed and wore out from a series of 3 or 4 renters over a dozen years and nothing but more paint slapped on the walls in between..and the odd appliance replacement or two. When we were done, we looked at the results and each other and said "Eff renting it again. Guest apartment now".

PeoplesElbow

I will never do it again either unless I simply own an apartment complex and have someone else manage it for me.

Just slobs, or was there expensive damage?

I had a roommate for a while, and that was enough to guarantee I'd never rent or landlord ever.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've had the slobs...but the worst were the ones with evil ex's. Twice my apartments suffered significant damage when pissed off ex's visited revenge. One of the them went through the apartment, while she (the tenant) was not there, and grabbed every gift or momento he'd ever given my tenant, threw it all in the kitchen double-sink, and set it on fire.

Oh..and one tenant had a 7 yo kid that was a pyromaniac..he almost set the entire compound on fire. We caught the fire going up one of my 100' tall pines literally just before it got outa reach of the hose and went in to the canopy of 5 solid acres of 100' pines.....

I could go on. Renters suck.

PJay

People can be even more destructive when told to leave. Lipstick smeared all over, vacuum bag dirt thrown throughout, etc. Heathens.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I did my own landlord gig for a few decades. Now I have turned it all over to paid management. My phone never rings. For me it's money well spent for management fees. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm always amazed at this. Haven't we all rented at some point in our lives? And did we completely trash the place and leave it a wreck? Of course we didn't. I always wanted that security deposit back, plus I didn't want my landlord to have bad feelings about me. So I'm surprised at the number of renters who *do* live like garbage and trash their home - there seem to be so many of them and every landlord I know has horror stories to tell.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm always amazed at this. Haven't we all rented at some point in our lives? And did we completely trash the place and leave it a wreck? Of course we didn't. I always wanted that security deposit back, plus I didn't want my landlord to have bad feelings about me. So I'm surprised at the number of renters who *do* live like garbage and trash their home - there seem to be so many of them and every landlord I know has horror stories to tell.

I agree - I always wanted my security deposit back, and like you I'd have been embarrassed to leave a dirty mess. (The Girl Scout in me always wants to "leave things better than I found it")

There isn't any pride in keeping a nice house anymore, either. I would imagine it's worse if the house is not their own. Cleaning is a lost art with most poeple these days, but I am old fashioned when it comes to it and adamant that we do a basic cleaning every weekend. Then, periodically, we address the spring & fall cleaning type of things - more often when necessary.

Sorry about these rotten people, Pete. I know there are companies who will do "move out" cleaning jobs. You might want to just hire someone like that - it might be less stressful.

There isn't any pride in keeping a nice house anymore, either. I would imagine it's worse if the house is not their own. Cleaning is a lost art with most poeple these days, ...

You've been looking in my windows, haven't you? :ohwell:

Oh wait.... the windows are so dirty you can't look in anyway. Nebermind...

littlelady

God bless the USA
We rented out our house in 1984 when we moved from TX to MD. What a nightmare! Thank goodness the house sold. Never again will we do that renting thing.

acommondisaster

Current house in Waldorf: She told us we could pick up the keys at house on Sunday (we kicked her out for non-payment, she went willingly). I drove by the house on Thursday and there was a 24' Ryder out front so I called my husband and told him he'd be pleased to know they really were moving out. On Saturday she called to tell my husband where she'd leave the key if he couldn't be there when they were done. Sunday afternoon, he drove up to change the locks and see what needed to be done before we painted/replaced carpeting.

THIRTY ONE HUNDRED POUNDS OF DOG FECES, BROKEN FURNITURE AND TRASH. That doesn't include the yard waste. The pile of furniture in front of the house was as tall as the house and included mattresses full of black mold and maggots. Black mold under all of the carpets. A $500 lien on the house for non-payment of water/sewage. All appliances trashed. We're done, too. Fixing it and selling.

acommondisaster

I did my own landlord gig for a few decades. Now I have turned it all over to paid management. My phone never rings. For me it's money well spent for management fees. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

I regret that we didn't go this route. When the lease is up on the townhouse we own, I'm going to insist on a management company after what we've been through with the house in Waldorf.

Roman

We have been renting our houses for years, and only have one horror story, so I consider ourselves lucky. We had only one tenant that was a virtual nightmare. He had two big dogs that had the freedom to go potty in the house at will. This person never paid his rent on time. The neighbors complained about him all the time too. This guy would bake meat in the oven without a dish, and he had unskinned squirrels in the freezer without being wrapped. It was horrible. We had to pull up all carpeting that wasn't even a year old. I could go on, and on but it would be too embarrassing. We have seven great tenants now, that I am thankful for now.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Current house in Waldorf: She told us we could pick up the keys at house on Sunday (we kicked her out for non-payment, she went willingly). I drove by the house on Thursday and there was a 24' Ryder out front so I called my husband and told him he'd be pleased to know they really were moving out. On Saturday she called to tell my husband where she'd leave the key if he couldn't be there when they were done. Sunday afternoon, he drove up to change the locks and see what needed to be done before we painted/replaced carpeting.

THIRTY ONE HUNDRED POUNDS OF DOG FECES, BROKEN FURNITURE AND TRASH. That doesn't include the yard waste. The pile of furniture in front of the house was as tall as the house and included mattresses full of black mold and maggots. Black mold under all of the carpets. A $500 lien on the house for non-payment of water/sewage. All appliances trashed. We're done, too. Fixing it and selling.

O-m-g.

That is beyond words. What the hell kind of person does this? It's completely out out my realm of understanding.

So sorry. I agree, a management company is worth every penny because some people are like this.

glhs837

Power with Control
Guess I've been lucky. First tenant, while odd, kept the place immaculately. That was a year. These last three, been the same young lady, her two kids and her permanent fiance. Take good care of the place. When something breaks, they let us know, we replace it.