I am not sure I have ever seen a hockey game like this

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Fight-filled match goes to Sabres over Ottawa
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>swapContent('firstHeader','applyHeader');</SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude-->BUFFALO (AP) — Goaltender Martin Biron couldn't be more proud with how his Buffalo Sabres responded after co-captain Chris Drury was blindsided and knocked woozy by Ottawa's Chris Neil.
GAME REPORT: Sabres 6, Senators 5 (SO: 1-0)

First, the Sabres got back at the Senators during a wild second-period melee — a brawl that involved all 12 skaters on the ice, including Biron taking on Ottawa goalie Ray Emery.

Then, despite a depleted bench, the Sabres won the game 6-5, when Drew Stafford scored the lone shootout goal Thursday night.

"Emotions were running high. ... It didn't matter who was on the ice, anybody would've responded," said Biron, who was ejected along with Emery and Buffalo tough-guy Andrew Peters. "That was really satisfying. And it's satisfying to see the way we played after that."

What incensed the Sabres was seeing Drury, with a deep cut across his forehead, needing help to get up after being bowled over by Neil. It happened 5 minutes into the second period after Drury had just snapped a shot on net from the right circle. That's when Neil, without slowing, hit him from behind. Neil's shoulder caught Drury across the side of the head, sending Drury flying and his helmet off.

Neil was not penalized for the hit, but Sabres coach Lindy Ruff called it dirty.

The Senators saw things very differently.

Neil described his hit as clean, adding that Drury shouldn't have had his head down.

And Senators coach Bryan Murray was unhappy with how the brawl began, angry how Buffalo's fourth-liner Adam Mair punched Senators star Jason Spezza in the head on the face-off after Drury was hurt.

"I put out skill players and he sends out the five guys on his team that are going to start a fight," Murray said, referring to Ruff. He then accused the Sabres coach of ordering his players to start the fight.

Ruff's answer to that was: "I'm not going to comment what I had on my mind."

After pausing, Ruff added: "Go out and run 'em."

The game was delayed by about 20 minutes as officials issued 100 penalty minutes, 63 against Buffalo.

As inspiring as the Sabres' victory was, the bad news is that Drury, who scored his team-leading 33rd goal in the first period, might miss a few games because of what was described as a head injury.

That means the Sabres could be down eight regulars when they play at Ottawa on Saturday to complete the eight-game season series between the Northeast Division rivals.

Leave it to Stafford, one of four minor leaguers called up to bolster Buffalo's banged-up roster, to seal a game in which both teams squandered two-goal leads.

After the teams failed on each of their first three shootout attempts, Stafford scored when he faked going to his forehand and flipped a backhander past Martin Gerber.

Ryan Miller then sealed the win when he gloved Mike Fisher's attempt. Miller's best save came a shootout attempt earlier, when he got his blocker out to foil Mike Comrie, who appeared to have the goalie going the wrong way.

Stafford added two assists while Thomas Vanek scored twice, including his 31st of the season. Clarke MacArthur and Dmitri Kalinin also scored in helping the Eastern Conference-leading Sabres (41-15-5) complete their six-game homestand with a 5-0-1 record.

Dany Heatley scored twice and added an assist, while Spezza had a goal and two assists for the Senators, who had a five-game win streak snapped.

"If they want to start something, we've got guys that can handle that and it should be a good one Saturday," Heatley said. "It's fun to play them. They're exciting, emotional games. We've got some guys that we don't like over there. And I'm sure they don't like a lot of our guys over here."

The bad blood almost carried over after the game.

Mair went to the Senators locker room, where he apologized to Heatley in the doorway. Heatley accepted the apology, but Senators assistant coach John Paddock shot Mair an angry glare.

"Don't look at me like that when I'm apologizing," Mair said to Paddock, who then apologized to Mair.

Notes: The Sabres, who overcame a 2-0 deficit, appeared to take control 3 minutes into the third period, when Kalinin made it 5-3, converting his own rebound. ... The Senators rallied when Spezza and Fisher scored goals 2:36 apart, tying it at 5 with 9 minutes left. ... Emery, who allowed three goals on 15 shots, was back after serving a three-game suspension for slashing Montreal's Maxim Lapierre. Biron allowed two goals on 18 shots before he was ejected.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
donbarzini said:
I was hoping you had seen that. I'm not a Sabres' fan but Drury got cheap-shotted.
I know!! They are going to kick some ass, if he is out for a few games. They don't like lossing their star player to cheap shots

donbarzini

Best one I ever saw was mid/late 70's playoff game. Bruins v Rangers. During a faceoff to the left of the Rangers goal, the Rangers goalie (Eddie Giacomin) skated over to Derek Sanderson and told him "Whoever takes you out tonight gets a $500.00 bonus.". Sanderson didn't even take his glove off and dropped Giacomin with one shot. Then it was on. The benches emptied. People throwing stuff on the ice. 30 minutes later it was over. Two five minute penalties for fighting were handed out. Those were the days, man.

Kerad

Here ya go.

I'm not completely sold on the hit on Drury being a cheap shot. It was a solid shoulder check, and Drury wasn't paying attention to where he was at....gotta keep that head on a swivel. The video doesn't catch the play early enough for me to tell how much time passed since Drury released the puck, though. If it was longer than a couple seconds, then yeah..it may have been cheap. No penalty was called on the original check.

I don't have much respect for Lindy Ruff, so it didn't surprise me to see him send his goons after Ottawa's skill line. The unwritten rules are that fighters only fight fighters (unless someone in particular is truly deserving)...but Ruff decided otherwise.

All that said...I loved the ****-eating grin on Emery's face. :lmao: He was having a good time with it.

"That '70's Show", hockey style.

The rematch is Saturday night. :popcorn:

donbarzini

Kerad said:
Here ya go.

I'm not completely sold on the hit on Drury being a cheap shot. It was a solid shoulder check, and Drury wasn't paying attention to where he was at....gotta keep that head on a swivel. The video doesn't catch the play early enough for me to tell how much time passed since Drury released the puck, though. If it was longer than a couple seconds, then yeah..it may have been cheap. No penalty was called on the original check.

I don't have much respect for Lindy Ruff, so it didn't surprise me to see him send his goons after Ottawa's skill line. The unwritten rules are that fighters only fight fighters (unless someone in particular is truly deserving)...but Ruff decided otherwise.

All that said...I loved the ****-eating grin on Emery's face. :lmao: He was having a good time with it.

"That '70's Show", hockey style.

The rematch is Saturday night. :popcorn:

I hope they have the rematch on "VS". The hit was "borderline". The puck was already gone and given the way games are called nowadays as opposed to back then the hit "shouldn't" have been delivered. Ruff has always been a (derogatory term for kitty-cat). But I don't much like Murray from his days here either.

Kerad

donbarzini said:
I hope they have the rematch on "VS". The hit was "borderline". The puck was already gone and given the way games are called nowadays as opposed to back then the hit "shouldn't" have been delivered. Ruff has always been a (derogatory term for kitty-cat). But I don't much like Murray from his days here either.

It's not scheduled to be on VS. Saturday night. they usually have their games on Monday and Tuesday nights. Unless you have NHL Center Ice, you may be out of luck.

I'm interested to see what suspensions the NHL hands out before the day is over. I expect Buffalo to get the worst of it. Which will just give Ruff something else to whine about.

I've been pretty OK with how the refs are calling games. They do let you finish your checks, but give no slack when it comes to interference, holding, and hooking.

LordStanley

I know nothing
although the Sabers are a good team....Lindy ruff is the dirtiest coach there is in the game. I never liked him or his attitude. I hope he gets fined a #### load of money or suspended for instigating the brawl.

Now I have to go change my fantasy line up and bench Drury :whistle:

Last edited:

Kerad

Sabres' coach Ruff fined $10,000 by NHL

Well...no suspensions, which surprises me. but the NHL did the right thing by fining Dickhead. :yay:

Lindy Ruff's decision to match his tough guys against Ottawa's top line prior to Thursday's brawl between the Sabres and the Senators will cost the Buffalo coach US$10,000. ..... Ruff admitted to telling his players to: "Go out and run 'em."
Rematch in a couple hours. :popcorn: Interested to see if this fine has neutered Ruff at all. From "Ruff" to "Yipe"?

:lmao:

Last edited:

LordStanley

I know nothing
Kerad said:
Well...no suspensions, which surprises me. but the NHL did the right thing by fining Dickhead. :yay:

Rematch in a couple hours. :popcorn: Interested to see if this fine has neutered Ruff at all. From "Ruff" to "Yipe"?

:lmao:

I got into a heated argument with a buddy of mine who is a diehard Sabers fan. He actually believed that it was ok to go after a whole line of players that had nothing to do with the hit, rather than going after Neil......

Im glad Ruff got fined.....