I am the mother of "that child"

SoMDGirl42

Whether you have kids or not - all good ideas, and most of which (besides the cannabis), we've tried.

Sports - if he doesn't like the way it's going, he just quits. On the field. Try to push him, he explodes. Game over.
Swimming - won't do organized swimming, only playing - and that's not exhausting.
Bicycle - has one, rides the hell out of it.
We have not tried the military academy yet, though we did try Tae Kwon Do years ago. Didn't like that either (see his reaction to swimming).

Have a friend with a boat? Maybe if you made him swim in the river, he wouldn't be able to just quit and he'd wear himself out following the boat back to shore. He might even feel a little proud of his accomplishment.

DannyMotorcycle

And, that was my point. I didn't jump on Danny's throat. He put it out there. If you don't love your wife, how can you give advice on raising kids? I was replying to what he said on another thread about his wife. You must not read the whole forum, and that is what makes you a troll. I feel that people without children have no clue. But, that is ok. I was just thinking about this forum, and my journey here. I have decided I don't give a crap about what y'all say. It seems my opinions get trolled. Whatever. I do hold vrai, David, and Monello in high regard, and love my friends here. There is a difference in discussion, and down right being pieces of you know. You know what I mean. Troll on, oh wise one. :rolleyes:

Recalculating.

How one feels about their spouse is almost irrelevant to giving advice on RAISING KIDS. Well unless you're some camel urine drinker who's married to a child I suppose.

on the other hand, some spouses act like children.

Also having kids or not doesn't make one clueless. You dont' have to be shot in the head to know that it would probably hurt or kill you.

you're very much failing in either your comprehension or assumptions. It's probably time you stop going off what you think and stick to what you absolutely know... because what you think has been absolutely wrong. Now that you're aware that I am a parent, you may eat some crow and refrain from your baseless argument/accusation.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I've lost track on who said what and challenged who's ability to parent. I don't think you understand, unless you have a child with a disability, what it's like.
It's not so much about parenting as it is coping. If you have successfully raised 3 children and number 4 has an issue, it's not lack of knowledge that hurts, it's coping with the various bumps along the way.

Because you are forced into learning about the issue, dealing with ignorance will try your patience.
AD/HDD is not analogous with behavioral problem
AD/HDD does not correlate to poor grades
It is an impairment to a student reaching their potential. The diagnosis takes a qualified mental health professional to perform.
Treatment / remediation involves multiple factors.

A dyslexic does not see things in reverse, We are learning that many highly intelligent people were dyslexic and when they were young people thought they were stupid.

Autism is not one size fits all, it's actually on a scale.

In general a "learning disability" is indicated when the child is performing below their IQ. In other words, people with a learning disability are not stupid, their disability keeps them from performing to the level they could.

People with a learning disability frequently have underlying mental health issues; anxiety, depression, etc.

When it comes to learning disabilities there is no cookbook, no two students learn the same way. You can't warehouse them in a classroom and hope for success.

The only things a parent can do is advocate for their child and get them proper medical treatment.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The OPs kid doesn't seem to suffer from a disability.

Just because it isn't visible doesn't mean it isn't there.

I wanna go with he needs some tough love with a few meetings with Dad and a college fraternity paddle... Actions have consequences...
:rolleyes:

If a child was abused in his early years of life (before he was adopted) that child can suffer from any number of psychiatric disorders. No amount of "beating some sense" into him will cure those psychiatric issues.

They have other well-adjusted (normal) children which proves they are not the cause of this, and they do know something about child rearing.

I doubt the mother came into this forum seeking disciplinary advice - it seems more like she wanted to find out if she could possibly find one more avenue she may not have tried to seek help from the state for her son.

Your answer seems like you only want to be provocative and start something.

black dog

Free America

I doubt the mother came into this forum seeking disciplinary advice - it seems more like she wanted to find out if she could possibly find one more avenue she may not have tried to seek help from the state for her son.

Your answer seems like you only want to be provocative and start something.

Nope, not at all.. just my life's learning lessons.
I've read this thread and then reread it and I now find it interesting that when this child has a 72 hour stayover at the Hospital it seems all is well in his world and no acting out and he's not assaulting employee's at the hospital.
If he acted out in that environment he apparently understood that he will receive a longer stay. That in it's self tells me most likely the bad behavior he has,
is a learned behaviour and most likely nothing more.
And with that some good old testament parenting might work..
Tough Love is hard to apply with so many parents in today's society when the parent wants to be a " Friend " to the child and not a parent.
And that's coming from a parent that grew up in a Old Testament House but has never had to lay a hand on his own child. I've never even had to threaten my kid with being spanked or paddled.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Nope, not at all.. just my life's learning lessons.
I've read this thread and then reread it and I now find it interesting that when this child has a 72 hour stayover at the Hospital it seems all is well in his world and no acting out and he's not assaulting employee's at the hospital.
If he acted out in that environment he apparently understood that he will receive a longer stay. That in it's self tells me most likely the bad behavior he has,
is a learned behaviour and most likely nothing more.
And with that some good old testament parenting might work..
Tough Love is hard to apply with so many parents in today's society when the parent wants to be a " Friend " to the child and not a parent.
And that's coming from a parent that grew up in a Old Testament House but has never had to lay a hand on his own child. I've never even had to threaten my kid with being spanked or paddled.

Spoken like a true expert. :yay:

black dog

Free America
Spoken like a true expert. :yay:

Thanks, The Marine Corps spent lots of taxpayers cash to teach me to be move very very quiet and be very very observant....
[video=youtube_share;WzdxeBTm6gk]https://youtu.be/WzdxeBTm6gk[/video]

officeguy

Just because it isn't visible doesn't mean it isn't there.

If we call everything a disability, nothing is.

The description in the OP is mainly that of a behavioral problem. If it was a disability, it would be present all the time. This 'disability' shows up when he runs into the frustrations of pre-teen life.

Sure, there may be a psych issue that goes along with it. I can see how it is depressing if everyone thinks you are a bully, because you happen to be a bully.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Thanks, The Marine Corps spent lots of taxpayers cash to teach me to be move very very quiet and be very very observant....
[video=youtube_share;WzdxeBTm6gk]https://youtu.be/WzdxeBTm6gk[/video]

You identify yourself as a Marine? Very sad, indeed. Thank God, my Marine hub is not like you. Oohrah!

black dog

Free America
I told myself not to come back into this thread, but your post made me want to barf. You are not a Marine because you want to talk about taxpayers funding the military. Hello? Is that the only reason you enlisted, or are you a patriot? You are all about yourself. My hub is a Marine, and he is about America, and defending Her. And, he would beat you at any sport you want to challenge. Wrestling, football, baseball, running and shooting. I wish I knew you IRL, and could actually witness the challenge. Marines are honorable. You, not so much.

And, don't even bother to bring up our son that has caused so much heartache. You like to do that because it makes you feel better. We are coping and doing the best that we can. My hub is, actually, my children's step dad, and is the most ethical, honest, and loving person, and takes on responsibilities for everything. You, not so much. The reason I say that is that no one on this entire Earth could be as perfect as you present yourself to be. You are so old now in what you say on this forum that you have become stale. Oohrah!

Wackadoodie,, you gotta be kidding me, This is a opinion and discussion forum.

Again you post to try to demean another members opinion and you just can't keep on track. Almost every one of your posts you turn it into something about yourself, you missing your Calvert home, moving to North Potomac, your crackhead son, my hubby was a Marin and he can do everything better than you,,or other needy family members.
I truly feel sorry for your husband...and I'm gonna say I'm sure he's glad your not in bed with him right now spitting out more dumb $hit out of your pie hole.
That is either one crazy or a very tolerant man right there.
And I can't help it that my son's not a Crackhead,, maybe his mother and I just made better choices for our son than you all made with yours.
And I will say that if my child was a crackhead or a problem for society, I sure as $hit wouldn't be posting it on the web for the world to see and read.
You posted awhile back that you were leaving????? You need a bus ticket?

littlelady

God bless the USA
I, also, want to say that we try to teach our children to not be violent. Example is my dot and I own to Labradoodle siblings that love Emerson so much, and are constantly around her/protecting her/licking her/jealous of her. We tell the dogs to stop. Emerson has resorted to hitting them, and I don't blame her, but she is right in not wanting to be pestered. My point is that we have to teach our children well. As far as foxxy, she took on a huge responsibility to foster/adopt. That is very courageous. She didn't know what she would get. And, I think our gov sucks that foxxy cannot get the help she needs. Our gov is so broken, it is pathetic.

black dog

Free America
I, also, want to say that we try to teach our children to not be violent. Example is my dot and I own to Labradoodle siblings that love Emerson so much, and are constantly around her/protecting her/licking her/jealous of her. We tell the dogs to stop. Emerson has resorted to hitting them, and I don't blame her, but she is right in not wanting to be pestered. My point is that we have to teach our children well. As far as foxxy, she took on a huge responsibility to foster/adopt. That is very courageous. She didn't know what she would get. And, I think our gov sucks that foxxy cannot get the help she needs. Our gov is so broken, it is pathetic.

That's rich Wackadoodie....
But yet, you admonish my son that has a clean life, has had a job since he was 14, Graduated with Honors, Not a ticket for driving yet..
I'm sure his parents poor choices planted the seeds for his horrible behavior..

littlelady

God bless the USA
That's rich Wackadoodie....
But yet, you admonish my son that has a clean life, has had a job since he was 14, Graduated with Honors, Not a ticket for driving yet..
I'm sure his parents poor choices planted the seeds for his horrible behavior..

I never admonished your son, just you. I am sure you are very proud of him, as I am of mine. He is an awesome kid and didn't request to be an addict.

Why do you keep calling me a whackadoodle? I seem to be keeping up with you just fine. Have you checked your kettles, lately?

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I never admonished your son, just you. I am sure you are very proud of him, as I am of mine. He is an awesome kid and didn't request to be an addict.

Yes you have....
Maybe your kids parents should have taught him that taking opiates for a extended time and or more than the prescription is for is bad mojo... But of course, it's not your child's or anybody else's fault... Right????
And here I was taught consumption was a choice.....

Now go and try to learn self control from your husband....

Last edited: