I am unreasonably angry

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe you're thinking of the wrong guy, 'cuz PB has those exact qualities, at least that's what I see based on the characters he has portrayed.

I suspect Larry is thinking of some character other than Reacher. I mean, Matthew McConaughey? He has "ghey" in his name for a reason.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What horsehit that is!!!

I'll have to think on this a bit but, that is outrageous!

Now, in Tom's defense, he played an assassin in some movie I can't remember the name, things go wrong and he basically kidnaps a taxi cab driver to get him around town to do his business in such and such time. He actually pulled that off pretty good.

Bad castings; Will Smith in that golf movie. Tailor made role for Morgan.

Defoe as Clark in Clear and Present Danger. Clark is Seagal.

Aflack as Ryan in Sum of all Fears. Ryan is Baldwin but, if Alec doesn't want it, someone had to do it.

Cruise also did a great job in that Samurai movie, a Jack Reacher sort of disaffected character, no where near the credit the whole movie deserved, so, we will see.

I could see Colin Ferral as Reacher. I could even see what's his face, Mathew Mcaughney.
The worst casting mistake EVER.

Attachments

• john_wayne_as_khan.jpg
    john_wayne_as_khan.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 228

mAlice

professional daydreamer
No. Should that matter? I mean, you want me to know what I am talking about and ####??? :jameo:

:lmao:

That's what I thought. That would explain you not getting it. Thanks for joining the conversation, though. We really got a kick out of your recommendations :huggy:

edited to add, in all fairness, I haven't read any of the bigs we're discussing. :neener:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's what I thought. That would explain you not getting it. Thanks for joining the conversation, though. We really got a kick out of your recommendations :huggy:

edited to add, in all fairness, I haven't read any of the bigs we're discussing. :neener:

I don't suppose you can stop making fun of me long enough to make a recommendation of what is a good movie by this guy that will sell me on his Reacher-ness?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't suppose you can stop making fun of me long enough to make a recommendation of what is a good movie by this guy that will sell me on his Reacher-ness?

Priest-Not a great movie, but you can see how he would fit the bill for Reacher.
DaVinci Code-He's opus day-on a mission.
A Knights Tale-this character does nothing to indicate he would be good for Reacher. But I think watching some of the movies he's in will help. I think he's fairly well rounded.

You may have even seen him and don't remember him. I'm think he's just coming into his own.

Paul Bettany Filmography

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Priest-Not a great movie, but you can see how he would fit the bill for Reacher.
DaVinci Code-He's opus day-on a mission.
A Knights Tale-this character does nothing to indicate he would be good for Reacher. But I think watching some of the movies he's in will help. I think he's fairly well rounded.

You may have even seen him and don't remember him. I'm think he's just coming into his own.

Paul Bettany Filmography

I know that guy! He was Russel Crowe's surgeon in Master and Commander! GREAT movie and he did a wonderful job. However, I ain't seeing it. Reacher is intelligent but, also part cave man. Bettany is, comes off as, too intelligent, too intellectual for my idea of Reacher.

:buddies:

SamSpade

I know that guy! He was Russel Crowe's surgeon in Master and Commander!

I have an old online Australian acquaintance going back some 15 years or so who claims that Crowe is miscast in any tough guy role because...

He knew him way before he made it in movies, and said he got his ass kicked in bars too often to be convincing in that role. Said he was just too little.

I'm not so sure. It is called "acting" for a reason. Sean Connery was actually a bodybuilder before he became Bond, as was Schwarzenegger. Dolph Lundgren was a martial arts expert - who also graduated at the top of his class with a master's in chemical engineering.

But Eastwood? The Duke? Wayne got the nickname from his DOG. We know James Cagney as a tough guy, but he got his start as a song and dance man.

I agree with Larry that Tom as an assassin/criminal is convincing. As a tough guy, not so much. But I think it's because he is short. BTW - I like him in movies - I don't care what he is like in real life.

I still have a hard time seeing Matt Damon as a tough guy - because of his movie roles OTHER than Bourne - but I'm ok with Mark Wahlberg, even while remembering Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (ditto Will Smith).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have an old online Australian acquaintance going back some 15 years or so who claims that Crowe is miscast in any tough guy role because...

He knew him way before he made it in movies, and said he got his ass kicked in bars too often to be convincing in that role. Said he was just too little.

I'm not so sure. It is called "acting" for a reason. Sean Connery was actually a bodybuilder before he became Bond, as was Schwarzenegger. Dolph Lundgren was a martial arts expert - who also graduated at the top of his class with a master's in chemical engineering.

But Eastwood? The Duke? Wayne got the nickname from his DOG. We know James Cagney as a tough guy, but he got his start as a song and dance man.

I agree with Larry that Tom as an assassin/criminal is convincing. As a tough guy, not so much. But I think it's because he is short. BTW - I like him in movies - I don't care what he is like in real life.

I still have a hard time seeing Matt Damon as a tough guy - because of his movie roles OTHER than Bourne - but I'm ok with Mark Wahlberg, even while remembering Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (ditto Will Smith).

That's all a good point, because it IS acting and, as such, I would presume Bettany, as a solid pro, would do a good job at most roles including Reacher but, maybe not and there have been some other actors, as I mentioned, that simply didn't work in some roles...in my view.

Damon, I have no trouble with; He's Jason Bourne for drying out loud. :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Damon, I have no trouble with; He's Jason Bourne for drying out loud. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to the new Bourne movie, even without MD, but look forward to seeing MD in future Bourne movies (keeping fingers crossed).

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Ok, I finally got around to picking up a Jack Reacher (Lee Child) book and ... Tom Cruise is no Jack Reacher. No way, no how. I do recommend reading Brad Thor and his badass main character Scot Harvath.

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I completely agree.

It just annoys me when they take a great book that could be a great movie and screw it up.

Please please please don't let them get their hands on Lucas Davenport or Mitch Rapp.

You might have been happier with Ray Stevenson too.