I bought an inflatable kayak today

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:yahoo:

Our next stop is on Lake Corpus Christi and we'll be there for a month, so I'm excited take it out for a paddle. I got a two seater in case Monello wants to come with me.

I've had zero luck with the longevity of inflatables maintaining the ability to hold air and not leak... (beds, chairs, pools, etc.) so please be sure to wear your life jacket!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've had zero luck with the longevity of inflatables maintaining the ability to hold air and not leak... (beds, chairs, pools, etc.) so please be sure to wear your life jacket!

It was under $100 and got great reviews, so I should get my money's worth. I've been shopping hard kayaks for a couple of years but can't justify spending $700+ to drag that thing all over the US and only use it sporadically. Our RV park in Mathis is right on Lake CC and then we head to SPI where we'll be on the lagoon for three months. If it dies after SPI I'll still have gotten more than $100 use out of it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Do get a decent life vest, and a whistle. Please. For flatwater, I would trust Intex, if they can craft a pool that holds 5,000 gallons of water in, they can keep that water out. I've had Intex above grounds for 10 or more years and never had one leak.

Do get a decent life vest, and a whistle. Please. For flatwater, I would trust Intex, if they can craft a pool that holds 5,000 gallons of water in, they can keep that water out. I've had Intex above grounds for 10 or more years and never had one leak.
:smack:

Dammit.... I paid Monello a lot of money to record everything.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maiden voyage today - I love it! This is supposedly a two-person kayak but I can't see how there would be enough room for two people. Or maybe it's just me who likes to bring a lot of gear and sprawl out.

Anyway, super stable and felt secure. I thought it would be tippy or squishy, but nope. The inflatable seat cushioned me right in the lumbar so I didn't get a back ache like I usually do.

🛶

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now that I've had the kayak out numerous times in various settings, I can say with certainty that I wouldn't change a thing or do anything different. It handles nicely, and what I love the best is that if it's a little squishy I can give it some more air while I'm on the water because all the valves are accessible and I take my hand pump with me for just that occasion.

The only possible design flaw is that the rudder comes off for storage, but rumor has it the rudder could come off while you're paddling (even though it locks on pretty good). So Monello drilled a hole in the rudder and tied it to the boat with a line of rope so if it does come off it's not going anywhere.

I'd go out more often but I'm lazy about setting up and inflating it, which takes like 5 whole whopping minutes so I don't know what my problem is. I have a plastic box that everything fits right into, including the paddle, life jacket, and a hand cart.

Now that I've had the kayak out numerous times in various settings, I can say with certainty that I wouldn't change a thing or do anything different. It handles nicely, and what I love the best is that if it's a little squishy I can give it some more air while I'm on the water because all the valves are accessible and I take my hand pump with me for just that occasion.

The only possible design flaw is that the rudder comes off for storage, but rumor has it the rudder could come off while you're paddling (even though it locks on pretty good). So Monello drilled a hole in the rudder and tied it to the boat with a line of rope so if it does come off it's not going anywhere.

I'd go out more often but I'm lazy about setting up and inflating it, which takes like 5 whole whopping minutes so I don't know what my problem is. I have a plastic box that everything fits right into, including the paddle, life jacket, and a hand cart.
Good review. I'ma put this on the my list of things I could gift my daughter. :yay: