I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin no chickens...

Auntie Biache'

Saturday morning we got up to a chick beginning to hatch. It had one tiny hole where the chick had broken through. Unfortunately, there were ants crawling all over it, and in and out of it. We were afraid of what the ants would do, or had already done, so we opened up the egg. We figured if we didn't kill it, the ants would. My husband carefully peeled away much of the egg shell. As bloody as it was, we thought for sure we were going to lose her. She seemed very listless, and wasn't chirping much. As long as she was breathing, though, we had a chance. We got her, and the remainder of her shell in a box with a heat lamp, and monitered her closely. By the end of the day, she had shed the remainder of her shell, and was curled up and resting. Still very quiet, but still alive. Sunday morning she popped her little head up and said "Are you my Mother"?

Attachments

• chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 529
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 422
  • chick3.jpg
    chick3.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 433

littlelady

God bless the USA
I love your story; and your reference to Gone With The Wind made me chuckle. So glad the little chicky made it. 😄

Auntie Biache'

I did too, had 10 hens and lots and lots of eggs. Then the raccoons got them, one by one. Didn't replace them after that.

I've lost several for one reason, or another. Fortunately, they have started to replace themselves. I may end up with more birds than I want.

mitzi

We raised chickens about 20 years ago. I thought it was so cool hearing them cherp while they were inside the shell.