I don't know why I do this: "The Saga of the Boots"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Long version:

I've been wanting a pair of knee boots for a long time now, but I'm short (5'3") and....curvy...yes, curvy, that's it.....so I never thought they' looked good on me. Well, it turns out that I just wasn't trying them on with the right pants. FYI: you cannot wear loose-leg pants with high boots because you get this balloon thing going on that is only acceptable fashion if you're a 90s hip hop star. But with stretchy skinny/ankle jeans that slim you out and fit snugly, paired with a long jacket or top, they are smashing. EVEN! if you are a short and curvy grandmother.

So I tried on boots at a dozen places yesterday, but the boots I fell madly in love with were these Frye Melissa Button Backs. Note that the price is almost $400. :faint: Now, I can get decent high boots for under $100 at the other places I looked. But they're not perfect and they're not Frye. So the dilemma was to pay $70-80 bucks on a pair of boots that I don't love, just like well enough, that I could be fairly happy with; OR pop the $400 for the Fryes that I really want, that are perfect, and that are classic enough that I can wear them year after year after year.

I did this before I finally broke down and bought my Papillio Birkenstocks because I didn't want to spend the $80 on a pair of stupid sandals. So I spent way too much time thinking about them and trying to justify them before I finally said what the hell and got them. And do you know, I wore them all summer long, they were ridiculously comfortable, and I get a ton of compliments on them, plus they hold up well enough that I will get several years out of them.

So yes, I just ordered the boots and they will be here tomorrow. :biggrin: Amazon had them with a promo that took 20% off, which dropped the price down to around $300, plus free expedited shipping because I'm a Prime member.

:yahoo:

TLDR:

I bought new boots!!!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Those are adorable, vrai!

Check out Aldo for boots -- they usually have a really good selection, priced at around $150-$200. They often have 50% off sales. Nordstrom and Macy's are also my go-to places for boots.

I got some black shiny Hunter boots that I've only been able to wear once in the last few months. I wish it would snow dangit!!

JeJeTe

Happiness

Check out Aldo for boots -- they usually have a really good selection, priced at around $150-$200. They often have 50% off sales. Nordstrom and Macy's are also my go-to places for boots.

I got some black shiny Hunter boots that I've only been able to wear once in the last few months. I wish it would snow dangit!!

Hunters have been on my wish list for awhile now. I just need to pull the trigger on them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Thanks!

I also fell in love with a Ralph Lauren button down big shirt that was (ready?) $90 at Belk. :lol: I carried it around for a little while, then put it back. $90 for a casual shirt....I just can't do that.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Ahhh I LOVE Frye boots! I bought myself a pair of Frye Veronica Slouch boots several years back with my first big girl job pay check :yahoo: classic, always in style.

I've never properly broken them in though :lol: For a couple years I never knew how to wear them bc I too, didn't think I was allowed to wear skinny jeans as a short curvy chic (5'0"!) Finally I said #### it and now I have a whole pile of skinny jeans I keep just for my boots collection. Most of my tall boots have heels to them, bc I'm so short....I was told the heel makes my legs look a little longer. Plus I just prefer heels. But my new job is way more relaxed with work wear so I'm finally breaking in my Frye's :smile:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I also fell in love with a Ralph Lauren button down big shirt that was (ready?) $90 at Belk. :lol: I carried it around for a little while, then put it back. $90 for a casual shirt....I just can't do that.
Oooh, that's a lot for a shirt. I'd have a hard time swiping the card over that one. :lol: