I has a sad...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I learned earlier this evening that one of my 2nd cousins who was 23 years younger than me expired from pancreatic cancer yesterday after a 2 year fight.
Luke makes the 4th fatality in the family (all mom's side) from this cancer that I know of. I was number 3 of 5, only survivor.

I continue to tell my story of survival and have received many positive remarks from medical professionals, fellow patients and family members.

IF your body feels off, get thee to the doctor. Your body IS smarter than your head. I did, tis why I am still here near 9 years later.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Unfortunately, my first wife's father carried a hereditary gene which ended up taking her life. Two sisters underwent medical procedures to head it off at the pass. Luckily my daughter has tested negative, but I urge anyone with a family history involving cancer, to get thoroughly checked out. It's scary getting tested, but scarier not knowing.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Unfortunately, my first wife's father carried a hereditary gene which ended up taking her life. Two sisters underwent medical procedures to head it off at the pass. Luckily my daughter has tested negative, but I urge anyone with a family history involving cancer, to get thoroughly checked out. It's scary getting tested, but scarier not knowing.
Both my grandmother and uncle died before genetic testing was part of the diagnostics. My cousin would not talk to anyone save his doctors and immediate family, not even his mom. I did have the testing 4 1/2 years after diagnosis. My oncologist wanted the info for her plan of attack in case of recurrence. 88 markers were analyzed. 1 showed uncertain significance for a different form of tumor than the one I had. All others showed no significance.

Dad also died before the testing was available, from Stage IV lung cancer. Doc has had me undergo the low power CT lung screening in 2022 and 2023. So far, no trouble signs. This year's will be the last one as I quit smoking 15 years ago this coming August. I also get the lower intestinal camera safari.

My mom had Lynch Syndrome, She survived ovarian, but succumbed to a brain metastasis from a colon tumor excised the year before. One sister has Lynch and is a 15 year uterine survivor. The other has the BRCA variant, which is associated with breat cancer, and is a 3 year survivor. I do not know if my brother had any testing.

One niece has Hashimoto's and is a 22 year thyroid survivor.

Knowledge is a very useful tool in one's arsenal.