I hate snakes!

rio

Was leaving for work today and as I was stepping off the last step of the deck I heard a hiss and movement. Damn copperhead lunged at me! I about fell on it when I jumped. It was small, maybe about 18 inches, but by the time I got to work it was 7 feet long with a head the size of a softball!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It was small, maybe about 18 inches, but by the time I got to work it was 7 feet long with a head the size of a softball!

:lol:

Sorry.... :flowers:

Here is what Kwilly posted on my FB:

And here's how I responded:

Freak out, try to kick it away, accidentally overturn the boat, get swarmed and eaten by a horde of marauding snakes.
As I take my last gasp I will think, "Damn, I should have just scooped it up with the oar and flung it back in the water."

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:lol:

Sorry.... :flowers:

Here is what Kwilly posted on my FB:

View attachment 157086

And here's how I responded:

Freak out, try to kick it away, accidentally overturn the boat, get swarmed and eaten by a horde of marauding snakes.
As I take my last gasp I will think, "Damn, I should have just scooped it up with the oar and flung it back in the water."
This was the first thing to come to mind. 😂

rio

[QUOTE="vraiblonde, post: 6293524, how I responded:

[/QUOTE]
That would be me! I'm surprised I didn't drown the thing peeing my pants!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
off the last step of the deck I heard a hiss and movement. Damn copperhead lunged at me! I about fell on it when I jumped. It was small, maybe about 18 inches,
Was it still dark outside?

rio

No, it was light out, but it blended right in where the wood and concrete meet.
On a good note, my husband found it and we had our neighbor come and get it (he likes snakes and hates when we kill them). He'll relocate it. I'm still leary there may be siblings around....

Bonehead

Never heard a copperhead hiss. They have the weirdest odor, like a chrysanthemum (sp). I caught one in a bucket to relocate it and the odor was strong nary a hiss though..

rio

Well, it could have been the way it brushed the leaves and in my mind I heard a hiss🤷. I'm just glad I heard whatever it was to make me jump out of its way! I didn't stick around long enough to smell it😁

Grumpy

Black snakes are good snakes. Saw one about that size on my walk with my dog yesterday but he was dead.
I let them be, black snakes are good to have around. Couple weeks ago, I was sitting behind my house restringing a weedeater and a black snake slithers up to about 4 feet of me, pups were about 20 feet away and noticed. Had to save the poor guy and put him down by a stack of wood, he didn't seem hurt by one of my dogs grabbing him and pitching him in the air. He quickly took the hint and slid into the wood pile. It does make me worry about my dogs coming across a copperhead, tho.

Last edited:

PJay

A quick look at that picture (that's all I could stand ) I swear it looked like it moved. I hate a snake.

Louise

Beautiful snake, great photo.
The question is: what were you doing 20 feet up in a tree?

Thanks for the laugh. I can, always, count on you! Black snakes are awesome, and help keep the undesirables at bay. And, have said before that we, always, try not to kill any creature; as in try to let a fly, bee, misquito bug, mouse, et al, out of our house before we have to kill it. Same with the outdoor creatures. Live and let live.

Last edited: