I have a question for the business owners

snowygirl

I wasn’t sure where to put this, anyway. What do you as business owners look for in job applicants? I’m sure that background checks are done, but I’m wondering about things like how far back would an applicant put on the application as far as work they have done? And are references a must? What about their credit, does that influence you also? And what about if someone hasn’t worked since 2013?
Thank you for any and all responses you may have. If there is anything else I may have missed, that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It depends very much on specifically what the job description is and the nature of the business. In general, past experience and some references are almost always required. Background check, credit score, etc....less common for a typical service job.; more common for civil service and or government contractor position.

"How far back" is also very dependent on job description and nature of the business.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Just curious if you are a business owner or are rejoining the workforce after 8 years off? Either way, I recently closed a business and will formulate an answer later when I have more time.

Yossarian

Not a business owner but someone who managed locations for a large corporation for many years. As others have said, the need for relevant experience depends on the position. The more skilled/specialized the position is, the more relevant experience is. For position that are low skill/entry level (most restaurant/ retail jobs) the focus would be more on the person's personality/behavior and problem solving skills. Large gaps in employment can be a red flag, but can also have legitimate reasons (for instance, someone who has been a stay-at-home parent and is now rejoining the work force). What was a much bigger red flag was what I used to call "job hopping" - one month at one job, three months at another, 2 months at the next, etc. To me, this meant the person likely had trouble working with others or showing up for work/following the rules of the workplace. Because all employees potentially handled money, the company that I worked for made job offers contingent on a simple background check, but I don't know how feasible/ cost effective this would be for a small business owner.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I used to be a hiring manager in an IT environment and hired people for mainly intermediate positions. It all depends on what the boss's boss would think about a potential hire. Personal information is easily available now, as far as criminal/civil issues are concerned. It wasn't so much, back when I was in that position. Breaks in employment history were usually easily explainable, but job hopping was a red flag, as Yossarian stated. It's a lot of work to hire someone. References were rarely checked, but noted. Good luck in your search!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I used to be a hiring manager in an IT environment and hired people for mainly intermediate positions. It all depends on what the boss's boss would think about a potential hire. Personal information is easily available now, as far as criminal/civil issues are concerned. It wasn't so much, back when I was in that position. Breaks in employment history were usually easily explainable, but job hopping was a red flag, as Yossarian stated. It's a lot of work to hire someone. References were rarely checked, but noted. Good luck in your search!

And yet, job hopping is what's recommended in order for today's workers to get "what they're due". And then they wonder why pensions are no longer offered (and for 65% of employees they never were).

frequentflier

happy to be living
Hi I am trying to rejoin the workforce after having 8 years off. Thank you
I would offer an explanation as to the gap such as being a caregiver for elderly parents or a stay at home Mom. Depending on the job you are seeking, previous work history may or may not matter. What impressed me was the length of time a person was at a particular job or was in a field. Though my business was retail and did not necessarily require prior experience (though it helped), job hoppers rarely got an interview and the person that told me in an interview what an idiot her last boss was, was not considered for hire.
I usually hired by gut instinct though my gut failed me a few times! The way a person dresses for an interview and what they brought to the table meant a lot. I tried to make sure the person I hired would not only do a good job and represent my business well- but that would fit in with my coworkers that got along great and worked well together. A sense of humor was welcomed; a sense of entitlement was not. I could write a small book on some of the people I interviewed and how many times I shook my head afterwards. (like is there a Candid Camera crew somewhere!)
Being a pretty straight shooter, I liked people that were direct and knew when to listen and when to talk and asked questions. I think one of my biggest pet peeves was people that did not read the thorough job description including how and when to apply and the hours the job offered. Also retail required weekend work and many people wasted my time by refusing to do it after they were hired. I was flexible with Moms with school schedules and people taking college courses, vacations. I only asked for as much time in advance for the need for time off.
Though I rarely called references, my background check did include looking the person up on the MD judiciary search. Anyone with theft was an automatic NO. We dealt with a lot of cash. I also admit to not hiring people with a lot of court cases regarding baby daddy issues (sorry, don't want the drama). Facebook tells a lot about someone and that tool helped me weed out a lot of potential problems. Right or wrong, I was a small business owner and did the best I could to hire honest, reliable and trustworthy people that did not bring a lot of drama and chaos to my store.
I am out of it now and do miss my coworkers and some customers. I don not miss the hiring and firing process, though!
Good luck on your job search. Put your best foot forward and be honest and sincere!

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

The desire, motivation and enthusiasm of an applicant, to me, is about 70% of qualifications. The rest, even if lacking in certain knowledge, can be learned as OJT.
Depends on the job, if your looking for an entry level then yes, but something like a construction project manager then no. Enthusiasm can be faked.

When I evaluate engineers I ask if they work on their own car, built a computer if they are into gaming, ever helped dad do anything like tile a floor etc. For my work a tinkerer type will do better than a straight A bookworm any day. The key is getting the info without it being obvious that is what you are looking for.

sunshine98

I would add if child/elder care is the explanation for employment gaps, I would also volunteer the information of why you will be a dependable employee now (ie: kids are in school/reliable daycare, etc). There is a lot of unconscious bias toward primary caregivers - wondering if they will be calling out a lot, etc. The employer cannot legally ask about your situation, but it might benefit you to answer the question they may have in their minds.

black dog

Free America
I do a background check, most things I find I don't care about but it might msle me pay more attention.
If things come up missing its the new guy or girl. If I hire someone with a gap its normally because of doing time or its a single mom home with kids.
Give them a valid reason why you were out and move past it.

It warms my heart no beer in the Tiki bar.... I just told the surfs they are lucky to have a microwave and free beer and sodas....Tattooed girl told me to talk to the hand.lol

black dog

Free America
Do you
Depends on the job, if your looking for an entry level then yes, but something like a construction project manager then no. Enthusiasm can be faked.

When I evaluate engineers I ask if they work on their own car, built a computer if they are into gaming, ever helped dad do anything like tile a floor etc. For my work a tinkerer type will do better than a straight A bookworm any day. The key is getting the info without it being obvious that is what you are looking for.

Do you hold having a Perdue Degree against them??? :sshrug:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I do a background check, most things I find I don't care about but it might msle me pay more attention.
If things come up missing its the new guy or girl. If I hire someone with a gap its normally because of doing time or its a single mom home with kids.
Give them a valid reason why you were out and move past it.

It warms my heart no beer in the Tiki bar.... I just told the surfs they are lucky to have a microwave and free beer and sodas....Tattooed girl told me to talk to the hand.lol
You still have Gilligan beat as Employer of the Year.