I have heard it all now....

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
alex said:
Just when you think that political correctness can not get any worse it does.
Hey, at least it's happening in Britain. But it is sad to know they are being attacked by the plague.

This is horribly comical: "delete the word 'fail'"... "replaced with the concept of 'deferred success'".

And this is purely confusing: "What happens when an exam is failed but, for example, three-quarters of it is perfectly satisfactorily done?" Ehh, huh? So the teacher may say, "Timmy, 3 plus 4 does not equal 9. However, you have nice writing and you managed to hold your pencil in the appropriate way -- you pass!"

The Education Secretary should be commended for sustaining clear thought and shooting down this idea.

ylexot

Super Genius
This is even worse than the idea of replacing red markers with purple because red may hurt their feelings.

hvp05 said:
And this is purely confusing: "What happens when an exam is failed but, for example, three-quarters of it is perfectly satisfactorily done?" Ehh, huh? So the teacher may say, "Timmy, 3 plus 4 does not equal 9. However, you have nice writing and you managed to hold your pencil in the appropriate way -- you pass!" QUOTE]

And we wonder what the world is coming to. I am really considering homeschooling if/when I have kids :shakinghead:

Why should the kid be rewarded for getting the answer wrong? Great job Timmy, you got all of the answers wrong on your test, for that we feel that you are ready to graduate the fourth grade, onto fifth where you can fall even further behind!

ylexot

Super Genius
teverheart2002 said:
hvp05 said:
And this is purely confusing: "What happens when an exam is failed but, for example, three-quarters of it is perfectly satisfactorily done?" Ehh, huh? So the teacher may say, "Timmy, 3 plus 4 does not equal 9. However, you have nice writing and you managed to hold your pencil in the appropriate way -- you pass!"

And we wonder what the world is coming to. I am really considering homeschooling if/when I have kids :shakinghead:

Why should the kid be rewarded for getting the answer wrong? Great job Timmy, you got all of the answers wrong on your test, for that we feel that you are ready to graduate the fourth grade, onto fifth where you can fall even further behind!
Well, to be fair, it doesn't say that they should pass, just that they shouldn't fail. She's saying that if they get it wrong, they should get another chance until they do pass.

ylexot said:
Well, to be fair, it doesn't say that they should pass, just that they shouldn't fail. She's saying that if they get it wrong, they should get another chance until they do pass.

Its not even the fact that whether the kid fails or not fails, it that people are trying to make things "better" and instead of doing that they are messing the system up even worse. Before we know it, teachers jobs are going to be harder to fill than the janitors.

hvp05

ylexot said:
"And notice the footnotes I have included... that's the answer key. Good luck!"

B

Bruzilla

Let's call this what it really is, and it "ain't" political correctness. It's a lack of success by educators. Doing away with the label "fail" in order to alledgedly boost a student's eargerness to learn is just another way to transfer the failure of the teacher to the student. It's not that the teacher isn't properly instructing or motivating, it's that the student doesn't feel compelled to learn because he/she is hurt by the word fail.

Educators have been trying to pass their "deferred successes" onto the backs of politicians, school boards, administrations, and parents for years, and now they're spreading some of the blame storming to the students. Why should anyone be surprised? Next we'll hear that all of these damn dogs eating are actually eating homework and disrupting the student's ability to learn, so we need to get parents to get rid of their dogs, and if the parents refuse, well... that's just another reason why education continues to yield deferred success.

The teacher's JOB is to ensure that education takes place in the classroom, not to devise more and more excuses for why they aren't getting the job done.

hvp05

Bruzilla said:
Let's call this what it really is, and it "ain't" political correctness. It's a lack of success by educators. Doing away with the label "fail" in order to alledgedly boost a student's eargerness to learn is just another way to transfer the failure of the teacher to the student. It's not that the teacher isn't properly instructing or motivating, it's that the student doesn't feel compelled to learn because he/she is hurt by the word fail.

Educators have been trying to pass their "deferred successes" onto the backs of politicians, school boards, administrations, and parents for years, and now they're spreading some of the blame storming to the students. Why should anyone be surprised? Next we'll hear that all of these damn dogs eating are actually eating homework and disrupting the student's ability to learn, so we need to get parents to get rid of their dogs, and if the parents refuse, well... that's just another reason why education continues to yield deferred success.

The teacher's JOB is to ensure that education takes place in the classroom, not to devise more and more excuses for why they aren't getting the job done.
Hey, I agree with you -- I think.