I just cut the cord

awpitt

Main Streeter
A few months in update:

Still chugging along. It's getting a workout here recently. A few items of note.

- No CBS on Sling, so some football games can't be watched and no Super Bowl. You can pay for and download the CBA All-Access app on Roku (or other platform) if you want to watch CBS or their shows that bad.
- You have to be mindful of the limited number of streams available. For example, Fox5 is under Sling Blue and has up to 3 streams. ESPN is under Sling Orange and only 1 stream. So, I can watch Fox5 on 3 TVs (or 2 TVs and 1 phone, or some combination) at the same time but I cannot watch ESPN on more than 1 TV at a time.
- The Roku itself is slow at times. It seems to get hung up and won't let you do anything for 30+seconds. Often times it'll simply cut off and go back to its home screen. I'm not sure if this is a firmware issue with the Roku, or Sling is kicking you out due to bandwidth issues.
- The previews are nice. I've had 2 different ones so far. Sling gives you a package to preview for a few days/week. Last one was a news package with a bunch of news channels. Saw one for the LGBT community, one for Glenn Beck (The Blaze), etc. The current preview is NBA (LeaguePass maybe?) but each team's channel is shown. Hardly anything on outside of a game, but if you're a hardcore NBA fan (especially of a team not in your local market), it may be nice.

This is why I've been liking YouTube TV. Very simple. One plan. All of the broadcast network via the DC metro TV stations. All live. No delays. Unlimited "DVR" feature.

1stGenSMIB

This is why I've been liking YouTube TV. Very simple. One plan. All of the broadcast network via the DC metro TV stations. All live. No delays. Unlimited "DVR" feature.

This possible option is very interesting.. My wife often wants to sit down after dinner and clean up to watch the local/national evening news, and then I have to figure out how to make TV easily accessible when she binge watches "Real of Housewives of X". This might help with one of my big hangups of not having a local DVR (currently a Genie 2), although I do have an older 1.5TB file server plugged into the LAN...it needs a major firmware upgrade or to be replaced probably though...

The last time I thought about this was when I was trying to record OTA and get it dispersed thru the house, and the options were things like a Windows Media Server, which I don't think exists anymore. I just gave up for a while, but when I have to start paying big $$ again when my discount period at DirecTV runs out from moving, I will be looking for a different solution.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
This possible option is very interesting.. My wife often wants to sit down after dinner and clean up to watch the local/national evening news, and then I have to figure out how to make TV easily accessible when she binge watches "Real of Housewives of X". This might help with one of my big hangups of not having a local DVR (currently a Genie 2), although I do have an older 1.5TB file server plugged into the LAN...it needs a major firmware upgrade or to be replaced probably though...

The last time I thought about this was when I was trying to record OTA and get it dispersed thru the house, and the options were things like a Windows Media Server, which I don't think exists anymore. I just gave up for a while, but when I have to start paying big $$ again when my discount period at DirecTV runs out from moving, I will be looking for a different solution.

The nice thing about YouTube's "DVR" feature is that if you add a show to your Library, you can browse the how series. I'm a M*A*S*H junkie so I found it on the Sundance channel and added to my library. Now, when I go in to the library, I can select any episode I want from all of the show's seasons.

SamSpade

I might do a trial run of this.

I've been trying to see how we can wean ourselves from cable. The funny thing is the kids really don't care at all.
They are so used to the entire streaming environment, it would never bother them. The hard sell is really my wife.
As she starts using more streaming options with her hobbies, I think she might be warming to cutting the cable.

But I'd have to make it an option to try for a couple months to see if we can do everything we used to be able to do.
ONE of the better options of DVR is, pausing live TV. So I'll have to look into it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I might do a trial run of this.

I've been trying to see how we can wean ourselves from cable. The funny thing is the kids really don't care at all.
They are so used to the entire streaming environment, it would never bother them. The hard sell is really my wife.
As she starts using more streaming options with her hobbies, I think she might be warming to cutting the cable.

But I'd have to make it an option to try for a couple months to see if we can do everything we used to be able to do.
ONE of the better options of DVR is, pausing live TV. So I'll have to look into it.

It's worth a try. They offer a free week so it can't hurt.

Pete

Repete
Can it pause LIVE TV?
We have AppleTV and yes you can.

We are 2 years removed form cutting and it is great. Hulu Live, Amazon Prime, Netflix and the rest are free. Our bill is less than half what is was for DirectTV

awpitt

Main Streeter
Can it pause LIVE TV?

Yes. I've done it when needing to run to the restroom and stuff like that. Once it's paused, it buffers and when you come back just hit play and you can fast forward, if needed, to the point where it catches up to the live point.

1stGenSMIB

Yes. I've done it when needing to run to the restroom and stuff like that. Once it's paused, it buffers and when you come back just hit play and you can fast forward, if needed, to the point where it catches up to the live point.
This will be a must have for us. My wife is easily sidetracked with kid and cat videos on her mobile device, so she sometimes takes 3 hours to watch 41 minutes worth of broadcast programming. :rolleyes:
So, is "YouTube TV" different than the YouTube app on my 4 year old Vizio Smart TV?

awpitt

Main Streeter
This will be a must have for us. My wife is easily sidetracked with kid and cat videos on her mobile device, so she sometimes takes 3 hours to watch 41 minutes worth of broadcast programming. :rolleyes:
So, is "YouTube TV" different than the YouTube app on my 4 year old Vizio Smart TV?

Yes. YouTube TV and regular YouTube are two different things. YouTube TV is a substitute for Cable TV.

Chris0nllyn

Update:

Outlander is over and Game of Thrones is coming up soon, so we cancelled Starz and ordered HBO NOW (HBO no longer offers a add-on package through Sling). It's incredibly easy to change your packages on the fly and I love that. Go online, update your account, Bam, done. No more calling "Jeff" or customer service to convince them to change services, or anything like that.

HBO NOW is nice and it has everything we're looking for, but the interface is outdated (like Sling). It is simple to use, but boring. Not a deal-beaker though. I really love the Netflix interface.

Baseball season is almost here, and I'm an Orioles fan. Even if you're a Nats fan, the Orioles and Nats are on MASN (or MASN2), which is owned by Peter Angelos (owner of Orioles) nad is only available via cable and set-top box. There's ongoing disputes between airing games and the Angelos' aren't interested in giving streamers access to games. They don't even air games on over thre air channels, so having an antenna won't help either. Unfortunately, there's really no fix for this until the Angelos' clan both fix the historically awful Orioles team and ignore the idea that baseball must be watched in front of a TV set with cable.

Regarding Sling, we may be switching to YouTube TV. Going to try a free trial and see how it is. I like that YouTube TV offers free DVR and more local channels (including CBS for football games).

awpitt

Main Streeter
Update:

Outlander is over and Game of Thrones is coming up soon, so we cancelled Starz and ordered HBO NOW (HBO no longer offers a add-on package through Sling). It's incredibly easy to change your packages on the fly and I love that. Go online, update your account, Bam, done. No more calling "Jeff" or customer service to convince them to change services, or anything like that.

HBO NOW is nice and it has everything we're looking for, but the interface is outdated (like Sling). It is simple to use, but boring. Not a deal-beaker though. I really love the Netflix interface.

Baseball season is almost here, and I'm an Orioles fan. Even if you're a Nats fan, the Orioles and Nats are on MASN (or MASN2), which is owned by Peter Angelos (owner of Orioles) nad is only available via cable and set-top box. There's ongoing disputes between airing games and the Angelos' aren't interested in giving streamers access to games. They don't even air games on over thre air channels, so having an antenna won't help either. Unfortunately, there's really no fix for this until the Angelos' clan both fix the historically awful Orioles team and ignore the idea that baseball must be watched in front of a TV set with cable.

Regarding Sling, we may be switching to YouTube TV. Going to try a free trial and see how it is. I like that YouTube TV offers free DVR and more local channels (including CBS for football games).

You'll like Youtube TV. I've been using it for awhile now and really like it.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Still want to "cut the cable," but when I totaled up what I wanted from the streaming services versus what I pay now for DirecTV, DirecTV comes out cheaper.

This is a biggish deal for us because I really don't want to spend the ridiculous money I would have to get a HD DirecTV RV/camper set-up. If we could get streaming services at a better rate, then we get what we want to see while on the road without additional (and expensive, for us) sta TV equipment.

For what little we do stream we do like our Roku and would love to make fuller use of it.

--- End of line (MCP)