I lost a good ol friend last night

Eventer29

This morning I went to the barn to feed, and found my old POA pony had passed away. She was 28 years old, and had cushings disease that was getting worse at a pretty rappid pace, she was supposed to start meds next week. Other than effects from the cushings she was a happy and pretty healthy pony. I was still using her for the little ones in lessons. She gave her last one last weekend. She loved having her little charges and teaching them the ropes.
She had eaten her dinner, drank some water, and apparently just lain down n couldnt get back up, there was hardly any sign of struggle or anything just looked like maybe she had moved her legs a little while laying there.

I miss my old girl so much already. My parents bought her when i was 7 and i started riding her when i was 8. After some initial fights we became buddies, she was my best friend. If i had school issues or a fight with dad I would run to the barn and cry on her furry shoulder. she was the type of pony who in her younger days(teenage years) everyone though she was crazy and I was just about the only one she listened to undersaddle. Anyone else who got on her soon learned that she wasnt as easy as she looked to ride AT ALL! NO brakes!!! yet i rode her plenty with out even a halter on her head. Even jumped her that way. What an awesome lil pony. We did just about everything but work cattle. Eng, western, jumping, speed, driving, trail riding, pretty much you name it. Won all sorts of ribbons at MW and other local shows. Was champion in a few divisions.
After I outgrew her I started using her for lessons, of course only the brave would tackle the challenge, and most of the time she was fine unless there were jumps set up. I remember one show at our place i let a friend ride her in the jumping class, she lost control and snowy went running around over the fences, wouldnt stop jumping. After a while she decided to settle down and not try to run off with the kiddies. She became one of our best school horses, and esp loved the little ones. There are many kids who have fond memories of my girl. She is going to be missed horribly.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eventer29 said:
This morning I went to the barn to feed, and found my old POA pony had passed away. She was 28 years old, and had cushings disease that was getting worse at a pretty rappid pace, she was supposed to start meds next week. Other than effects from the cushings she was a happy and pretty healthy pony. I was still using her for the little ones in lessons. She gave her last one last weekend. She loved having her little charges and teaching them the ropes.
She had eaten her dinner, drank some water, and apparently just lain down n couldnt get back up, there was hardly any sign of struggle or anything just looked like maybe she had moved her legs a little while laying there.

I miss my old girl so much already. My parents bought her when i was 7 and i started riding her when i was 8. After some initial fights we became buddies, she was my best friend. If i had school issues or a fight with dad I would run to the barn and cry on her furry shoulder. she was the type of pony who in her younger days(teenage years) everyone though she was crazy and I was just about the only one she listened to undersaddle. Anyone else who got on her soon learned that she wasnt as easy as she looked to ride AT ALL! NO brakes!!! yet i rode her plenty with out even a halter on her head. Even jumped her that way. What an awesome lil pony. We did just about everything but work cattle. Eng, western, jumping, speed, driving, trail riding, pretty much you name it. Won all sorts of ribbons at MW and other local shows. Was champion in a few divisions.
After I outgrew her I started using her for lessons, of course only the brave would tackle the challenge, and most of the time she was fine unless there were jumps set up. I remember one show at our place i let a friend ride her in the jumping class, she lost control and snowy went running around over the fences, wouldnt stop jumping. After a while she decided to settle down and not try to run off with the kiddies. She became one of our best school horses, and esp loved the little ones. There are many kids who have fond memories of my girl. She is going to be missed horribly.

So many great memories ! She will be with you forever !!! :huggy:

Eventer29

Her reg. name is Docs Double trouble. I showed ehr about the same time sis was showing the spotted one Promise. Snowy was a dark bay with lots and lots of frosting.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Eventer29 said:
Her reg. name is Docs Double trouble. I showed ehr about the same time sis was showing the spotted one Promise. Snowy was a dark bay with lots and lots of frosting.

Promise was the leopard that did everything too...?? nice ponys...I loved watching them

Eventer29

Yeah Promise is an awesome little pony too. We thought we might lose her last year. She kept colicking and the vet couldnt figure what it was. Sent her to Leesburgh. They found a huge stone in her colon. Think she ingested something small, pebble like, and it just rolled around collecting little bits. Ended up the size of a softball, maybe a litle bigger. shes better now n back to giving lessons. Might even make a couple shows this year. that year or two sis rode her and I rode my snowy pony, we just about cleaned up at MW
some old pics of me n my snowy girl

Last edited:

BOHDEN

sorry for your loss. we all know the loss of a pet, is just like loosing a very close family member. Just went through it my self as most of you know with harley and ginger in Oct & nov. still not the same around here.

mingiz

Horse Poor
So Sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you. I lost my best friend back in 03 and still have a hard time when I think of her... :bawl: :flowers:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
:huggy:
Brings back memories of losing our own snowbell the first year we moved here (she was also 28 a greyed out POA/welsh cross who had cushings)....what a horrible rainy saturday that was. Paso did her tail for us so my little one could keep if forever, and she will, often she strokes it before going to sleep or when she's feeling gloomy, it hangs right by her bed. Maybe you would want to do that? Cut it off, and bind the end.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Eventer29 said:

So sorry to hear about your loss. :flowers:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I am so sorry to hear that! I have lost a few, but never one that I owned as a kid, that would be really tough!

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Eventer, reading this flooded me with the memories of also running to the barn when I was upset to find my Miskay and wet her whole neck with my tears. I would stall her for the night, just so I could curl up in the corner and sleep with her, she was my comfort zone, my best friend. My horse was my best friend and my barn was my safe place when growing up and I feel myself still turn to my horses for comfort when hurting.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
persimmoncf said:
Eventer, reading this flooded me with the memories of also running to the barn when I was upset to find my Miskay and wet her whole neck with my tears. I would stall her for the night, just so I could curl up in the corner and sleep with her, she was my comfort zone, my best friend. My horse was my best friend and my barn was my safe place when growing up and I feel myself still turn to my horses for comfort when hurting.

:howdy: Check your PM's!!!