I made it worse

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
My car has an in-dash 6 disk changer. Well it stopped playing CDs. It would load/eject just fine but wouldn't read them at all. I got an ERROR 1 message on the screen which meant that the CDs couldn't be read, dur.... They were store bought CDs not burned ones and not scratched up so I assumed that the lens/player itself was dirty. I bought a CD player cleaner yesterday and now the whole thing is hosed. It loaded and you could hear it spinning but then I got the error message and when I tried to eject it it wouldn't come out. It's still in there but on the display it's not even registering.

Where's a good place to take it to get fixed? The closest Lexus dealership is in Annapolis and I really don't feel like bending over for the dealership prices. It's not under warranty anymore seeing as I put 100 miles a day at least on it.

H

HollowSoul

Originally posted by pixiegirl
My car has an in-dash 6 disk changer. Well it stopped playing CDs. It would load/eject just fine but wouldn't read them at all. I got an ERROR 1 message on the screen which meant that the CDs couldn't be read, dur.... They were store bought CDs not burned ones and not scratched up so I assumed that the lens/player itself was dirty. I bought a CD player cleaner yesterday and now the whole thing is hosed. It loaded and you could hear it spinning but then I got the error message and when I tried to eject it it wouldn't come out. It's still in there but on the display it's not even registering.

Where's a good place to take it to get fixed? The closest Lexus dealership is in Annapolis and I really don't feel like bending over for the dealership prices. It's not under warranty anymore seeing as I put 100 miles a day at least on it.
is the disc shuttle aftermarket or dealer? If it's dealer, chances are the shuttle/stereo it'self read error1 and after mess'n wit it a few times the security features shut it down from further operation....if it's aftermarket, maybe the drive that loads/unloads/reads the disc is worn.(depends on how much you use it) I have quite a few years of experiance with audio so if you need someone to look at it i will

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Re: I made it worse

Originally posted by HollowSoul
is the disc shuttle aftermarket or dealer? If it's dealer, chances are the shuttle/stereo it'self read error1 and after mess'n wit it a few times the security features shut it down from further operation....if it's aftermarket, maybe the drive that loads/unloads/reads the disc is worn.(depends on how much you use it) I have quite a few years of experiance with audio so if you need someone to look at it i will

It's the stock player. For $hits and giggles after the cleaning disk got stuck and the display didn't show a disk being in the player I hit the load button and it was ready and willing to let me put a disk in. I didn't of course since it still had the cleaner and wasn't giving it up.

You'd be my hero if you could look at it for me. :biggrin:

dustin

UAIOE
i dont think those brush cleaner disks are designed to be used in a CD changer. the brush is probably getting hung up. try cycling through the disk player a few times, selecting different disks (even though they arent there) and then try hitting the play button a few times on the CD that has the cleaner on it.

if that doesnt work then try disconnecting the battery. You may need a security code for the player. IF you've disconnected the battery before with no troubles then dont worry about the code.

if it wont eject the disk the only way to get it out is to take the dash apart and then take the CD changer apart.

Good Luck!

John Z

if you will
What's the resolution on this one? Did you get the cleaning disk out?

I would say, if the car is out of warranty, just get a new aftermarket stereo! It would be cheaper than getting a new factory unit probably....

H

HollowSoul

Originally posted by John Z
What's the resolution on this one? Did you get the cleaning disk out?

I would say, if the car is out of warranty, just get a new aftermarket stereo! It would be cheaper than getting a new factory unit probably....
i'm still slated to fix it after she gets home from have'n the lil one