I Make Diddly-Squat

WheezyCarl

Thanks, MD Unemployment, effing "stimulus" checks, Larry Hogan and life in general. As a blue collared worker that has contributed to keep the MD economy afloat, I now owe approximately $750.00 between State and Federal Taxes!! Wow, let's just stick it to the poor, working people. Can't get blood from a stone, so this whole ordeal ought to be interesting. I knew all this was too good to be true. I make a decent living wage and I am upset. I can't imagine what the average person, other than myself, is going to endure. Guess the old saying, "when it's too good to be true" holds some merit. One. Angry. Biotch.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think a lot of people are in for an unpleasant surprise when they do their 2020 taxes.

I know unemployment benefits are taxed - which is pretty stupid - but I didn't think the "stimulus" checks were taxable because that seems too stupid to be possible, even for braindead politicians.

frequentflier

happy to be living
When I had my business, I often took extra state taxes out biweekly for those that wanted me to because most of them, regardless of earnings, owed state taxes.

Last edited:

WheezyCarl

Guess I was in such a state of frenzy that I was just worried about depleting my savings while waiting for unemployment to kick in. Maybe I didn't read the small print, maybe I just didn't give a rats azz. All I know now is that I owe, I owe....and I'm pizzed. I'd like to blame someone else, perhaps I have only myself to blame due to lack of research and information. I have a feeling that I am not the only one that has been shafted.

Louise

Guess I was in such a state of frenzy that I was just worried about depleting my savings while waiting for unemployment to kick in. Maybe I didn't read the small print, maybe I just didn't give a rats azz. All I know now is that I owe, I owe....and I'm pizzed. I'd like to blame someone else, perhaps I have only myself to blame due to lack of research and information. I have a feeling that I am not the only one that has been shafted.

We got a surprise last tax season that took 14,000 from us because of Obamacare, going into Medicare; because me and hub turned 65 last year. **** you, Obama (who is not a US citizen) and your little Manchelle, too. Welcome to America.

I would have rather put that 14,000 towards tearing down the fence that has been built around OUR Capitol buildings. And, if anyone is wondering. Obama is now prez again, and Biden/Harris are his puppets. And, in the words of Alinsky follower, traitor Hillary Clinton...”at this point, what difference does it make”...It makes a lot of difference. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When I had my business, I often took took extra state taxes out biweekly for those that wanted me to because most of them, regardless of earnings, owed state taxes.

:yay:

I either owe or get a minimal refund from state because of the County ' add on ' [PG os 60%] that no one takes outy for

DaSDGuy

I think a lot of people are in for an unpleasant surprise when they do their 2020 taxes.

I know unemployment benefits are taxed - which is pretty stupid - but I didn't think the "stimulus" checks were taxable because that seems too stupid to be possible, even for braindead politicians.
"stimulus" checks are not taxable income.

DaSDGuy

:yay:

I either owe or get a minimal refund from state because of the County ' add on ' [PG os 60%] that no one takes outy for
?? My county tax estimate is automatically withheld every paycheck. Don't know what's up with your employer. Maybe talk to HR and ask why they can't follow simple Maryland tax withholding laws? It's on the MW507 form - "County of residence (Nonresidents enter Maryland county (or Baltimore City) where you are employed.) "

PeoplesElbow

We got a surprise last tax season that took 14,000 from us because of Obamacare, going into Medicare; because me and hub turned 65 last year. **** you, Obama (who is not a US citizen) and your little Manchelle, too. Welcome to America.

I would have rather put that 14,000 towards tearing down the fence that has been built around OUR Capitol buildings. And, if anyone is wondering. Obama is now prez again, and Biden/Harris are his puppets. And, in the words of Alinsky follower, traitor Hillary Clinton...”at this point, what difference does it make”...It makes a lot of difference. Be careful what you wish for.

That doesn't sound right at all, any change in my mom's was down in the noise.

DaSDGuy

Not taxable income at federal level, but she is stating the state taxes it.
Stimulus money is not taxable at the state level either. I believe she is talking about unemployment insurance. That has always been taxable income. The extra federal unemployment funds are also taxable income. Not good unless you saved some yourself. Maryland will withhold 10% for federal taxes but doesn't withhold anything for state/county taxes.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Hogan is pitching a state relief package that will eliminate state taxation of unemployment. The DEM controlled legislature will torpedo the whole package because he proposed it.

From the Baltimore Sun:
  • Eliminating the need for people to pay local and state income taxes on unemployment benefits.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm too lazy to look up the number, but a TON of folks got unemployment in 2020. Knowing people, the vast majority of them didn't have taxes taken out. What's going to happen when they now have to pay up and don't have that money?

Politicians and bureaucrats don't think things through. It's like they have no concept of how normal people live their lives.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Knowing people, the vast majority of them didn't have taxes taken out. What's going to happen when they now have to pay up and don't have that money?
:lmao:
Have to pay up?
Carnac The Magnificent sez, "Emergency executive order that offers tax amnesty for unemployment recipients."

stgislander

PREMO Member
I requested taxed be withheld from my UI benefits. The State finally got around to it for my last three checks.

SamSpade

Politicians and bureaucrats don't think things through. It's like they have no concept of how normal people live their lives.

And they have a toddler's sense of planning - immediate gratification damn the consequences.

Yesterday I was showing my son that the way he was shoveling snow - he would spend an enormous amount of time shoveling the SAME SNOW if he kept doing it the way he was doing. He doesn't think ahead. It's as though every moment is separate from every other moment.