I messed up and need assistance

So I recently picked up a 2000 Saturn as a runaround car. The price was right.
It needs a little work, so I am working on that during my unwanted "vacation" time.
I normally look at the service manual and/or youtube for guidance before doing stuff I have never done before. The ONE time I did not, I screwed up. Nothing major, just a pain in the butt.
I removed the wrong nut when I went to remove the front strut. Yep. THAT nut. The one that holds the top of the strut to the top bearing plate. Now I have to compress the spring to get the strut back in. Borrowed a set of spring compressors from Autozone. Things were going relatively smoothly until one of them suddenly slipped on the spring as I was tightening it and it slid all the way around until it got to the other compressor. Now I am screwed until I can compress the other side of the spring.

Anybody have a set of spring compressors I can borrow to fix this? Possibly even better, anybody have a real spring compressor standalone tool that can compress the spring to get the strut back in it? I would like to do this tomorrow if at all possible to get the car back on the road and borrowed tools returned to Autozone.

RPMDAD

huntr1, read your message, regretfully don't have one, if i did i would definitely loan it to you.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I used a bar clamp.. it's got a 500 pound compression strength and a lot cheaper than a specialized tool ..

Though I think AutoZone will loan you compression tools..

RPMDAD

itsbob, either i misread, or you misread. huntr1 said

Borrowed a set of spring compressors from Autozone. Things were going relatively smoothly until one of them suddenly slipped on the spring as I was tightening it and it slid all the way around until it got to the other compressor. Now I am screwed until I can compress the other side of the spring.

FirstGear

So I recently picked up a 2000 Saturn as a runaround car. The price was right.
It needs a little work, so I am working on that during my unwanted "vacation" time.
I normally look at the service manual and/or youtube for guidance before doing stuff I have never done before. The ONE time I did not, I screwed up. Nothing major, just a pain in the butt.
I removed the wrong nut when I went to remove the front strut. Yep. THAT nut. The one that holds the top of the strut to the top bearing plate. Now I have to compress the spring to get the strut back in. Borrowed a set of spring compressors from Autozone. Things were going relatively smoothly until one of them suddenly slipped on the spring as I was tightening it and it slid all the way around until it got to the other compressor. Now I am screwed until I can compress the other side of the spring.

Anybody have a set of spring compressors I can borrow to fix this? Possibly even better, anybody have a real spring compressor standalone tool that can compress the spring to get the strut back in it? I would like to do this tomorrow if at all possible to get the car back on the road and borrowed tools returned to Autozone.

I have a set I fabricated years ago, I think I still have them. I will check and post to let you know around 1 today (Oct 10).

itsbob

I bowl overhand
itsbob, either i misread, or you misread. huntr1 said

Borrowed a set of spring compressors from Autozone. Things were going relatively smoothly until one of them suddenly slipped on the spring as I was tightening it and it slid all the way around until it got to the other compressor. Now I am screwed until I can compress the other side of the spring.

Yep, Evelyn Wood let me down again...

Called the C.H. Autozone and they had a second set in stock. Went and got them and 30 minutes later I drove the car to return the borrowed tools.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Called the C.H. Autozone and they had a second set in stock. Went and got them and 30 minutes later I drove the car to return the borrowed tools.

Glad you got it; believe it or not, I used ratchet straps last time I did them, worked