I miss Metrocast...a little bit...

imaref

I have the Directv Genie HR44-200 (wired) with client and love it. They keep trying to get me to do a free upgrade to the wireless Genie and I keep telling them to pound sand. Wireless is great--when it works. Nothing beats hard wiring.

From what I've read on the Directv forums, the wireless Genie was released WAY before they had the bugs worked out. Sorry you got stuck with one.

mitzi

If I may ...

I miss having just 4 or 7 channels to watch. I miss Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and Jacques Cousteau, ok not that much. Mostly the simplicity of having very few channels. The TV guild every Sunday to see in anticipation if a good movie or show was coming on that week. And really waiting to see the latest and greatest movie at the theater. As a matter of fact, think I'll just cut it all off, no cable or Dish. Yes still have the internet, but no downloading of shows or movies. If it's not free, doesn't go out over the airwaves for free, then I'm not gonna watch it. To hell with the monopolies.

I miss the TV Guide too. Searched for it a few years ago, asked a clerk in the store if they still carried it and they didn't even understand what I was talking about. I miss the local news for the news and weather. I can get them thru the websites but again, constant buffering or freezing. Sometimes I just want to turn the TV on without all the aggravation and wondering if I'm even going to be able to watch the entire show without some kind of issue.

MiddleGround

I have the Directv Genie HR44-200 (wired) with client and love it. They keep trying to get me to do a free upgrade to the wireless Genie and I keep telling them to pound sand. Wireless is great--when it works. Nothing beats hard wiring.

From what I've read on the Directv forums, the wireless Genie was released WAY before they had the bugs worked out. Sorry you got stuck with one.

The last time I called, I was able to get 1/2 off my bill for 15 months! I had called so many times to complain about the Genie 2 (wireless) that they offered me that as a last resort to me either leaving DTV after 17 years OR having them come out to my home and rip all the wireless stuff out and replace with wired.

As of today.. I am about to call them and still have them re-install the wired system. Constant freezes, mini clients unable ot connect to the WVB, digitized sound issues, and weekly WVB resets to keep the system functioning. They should put me on the payroll for troubleshooting and repairs!!!

imaref

I feel your pain. My next door neighbor (in her 80s) calls me all the time to help her with her wireless Genie. That technology is half-baked at best...no wonder they lost so many customers last quarter.

I've been with Directv since Dec. 1996. No longer on contract, I call them every December--tell them either give me a good discount or I can live with a cheaper service like Youtube TV on Roku. Never fails--big discount every year. Sometimes I have to call 2-3 times to get the right person, but never fails.

They are BLEEDING subscribers and unlike AT&T thought would happen, those satellite customers that they lose ARE NOT signing up for DirectvNOW.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I feel your pain. My next door neighbor (in her 80s) calls me all the time to help her with her wireless Genie. That technology is half-baked at best...no wonder they lost so many customers last quarter.

I've been with Directv since Dec. 1996. No longer on contract, I call them every December--tell them either give me a good discount or I can live with a cheaper service like Youtube TV on Roku. Never fails--big discount every year. Sometimes I have to call 2-3 times to get the right person, but never fails.

They are BLEEDING subscribers and unlike AT&T thought would happen, those satellite customers that they lose ARE NOT signing up for DirectvNOW.

DirecTV has also made a change since AT&T took over, a lot of the PPV / On-Demand (maybe all) has to be downloaded via the internet. That' not an option if you don't have "high speed" (and dependable) internet service.
It's rather expensive to have DTV and HS Internet. I'm not thrilled with the ABB connection I have right now, plus the cost of the basic package is obscene based on what television you get.
Sorry, but the Roku / Internet TV has failed repeatedly becasuse the internet is not supporting the streaming video very well.
Lack of competition means us consumers are basically screwed. High price, low quality services.
As I memtioned, the cable video has skips / freezes. My guess is the apartment complex hasn't seen a wiring upgrade in decades and there are more customers than the pipe can handle.
More housing units have been added but the infastructure was not upgraded to handle the additional bandwidth.
You can call and try to complain - if you can navigate the automated menus.

1stGenSMIB

Hate the DirecTV genie system. Wish I had read all the negative reviews before we switched to it.

+1. we just moved, and they took my old R22's and gave me a Genie 2. Hopefully we'll get some firmware updates. It was nice to eliminate a bunch of cable around the new-to-me house though..it was all run old school around the outside and is draped everywhere.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's not just homes that are being affected. Businesses, as well. Ours has been up and down a LOT and it puts us at a work stoppage.

mitzi

It's not just homes that are being affected. Businesses, as well. Ours has been up and down a LOT and it puts us at a work stoppage.

I never thought of that and how many businesses rely on the internet. Then I remembered when I worked in Waldorf and Comcast would go out. Several times we lost tons of business because of it. No phone, no ordering system, etc.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I never thought of that and how many businesses rely on the internet. Then I remembered when I worked in Waldorf and Comcast would go out. Several times we lost tons of business because of it. No phone, no ordering system, etc.

What's funny is I can have an NMCI drop that works! :lol:

BernieP

Resident PIA
What's funny is I can have an NMCI drop that works! :lol:

We went months (on base) with the network dropping out or being extremely slow (to the point transactions timed out)
I'd say just short of a year. No incentive to fix it.

Now I have ABB and I am not impressed. I've been trying to stream shows on the smart TV (app) and it's smoother via my cell phone. I spend more time "loading" than I do watch ing the shot.
The cable itself drops out / loses a packet on the main box (DVR). That could be the hardware, because the picture also breaks up on a regular basis.

It was just installed a month ago so you figure it should be working fine.

But I don't have the time to play phone roulette and then wait for the service call.