I need a hug

SailorGirl

I saw an elderly man in the commissary today that put me very much in mind of my dad. I didn't think much of it at the time other than a slight tug at the heartstrings.

Anyway It was raining a little on the way out and my groceries were already loaded. I noticed that he parked his cart and was on the way out to the parking lot to get his car. Long story short, I got his cart and asked if I could save him a trip and he gave me this great big smile and asked if he knew me. I told him no he just reminded me of my dad so I thought I'd give him a hand. As we were loading his groceries in he told me he was 90 and a recent widower, kids scattered all over the country, and it was the hardest thing he had ever gone through in his entire life. His eyes were all filled up when he said it, then I got all filled up and told him I lost my dad. We had finished loading the groceries at the point and I turned to take his cart back and he reached out and hugged me and said I bet you were a good daughter. I bawled all the way home - I'm still crying.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I saw an elderly man in the commissary today that put me very much in mind of my dad. I didn't think much of it at the time other than a slight tug at the heartstrings.

Anyway It was raining a little on the way out and my groceries were already loaded. I noticed that he parked his cart and was on the way out to the parking lot to get his car. Long story short, I got his cart and asked if I could save him a trip and he gave me this great big smile and asked if he knew me. I told him no he just reminded me of my dad so I thought I'd give him a hand. As we were loading his groceries in he told me he was 90 and a recent widower, kids scattered all over the country, and it was the hardest thing he had ever gone through in his entire life. His eyes were all filled up when he said it, then I got all filled up and told him I lost my dad. We had finished loading the groceries at the point and I turned to take his cart back and he reached out and hugged me and said I bet you were a good daughter. I bawled all the way home - I'm still crying.
:huggy:

luvmygdaughters

luvmygdaughters

:huggy: That was so sweet of you. I get the same way from time to time. I'll see someone who reminds me of my dad, lost him almost 13 years ago, and I'll get a pang of sadness and want to give them a hug. I'm sure you made his day and put a smile on his face.

SailorGirl

:huggy: That was so sweet of you. I get the same way from time to time. I'll see someone who reminds me of my dad, lost him almost 13 years ago, and I'll get a pang of sadness and want to give them a hug. I'm sure you made his day and put a smile on his face.
There isn't a soul on this forum that wouldn't have done the same thing. :huggy:

SailorGirl

I think most of us are dad's daughters in the context of the special love there for our entire lives, no matter how grown up we become.