I need a place to ride in So Md Calvert

Martinigirl

All I want to do is trail ride. I don't know where to go. Does anyone know of a place(s) in Calvert? Also, would love to have someone to ride with.
Thanks
Sher :howdy:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Do you have your own horses? There aren't many trail riding only places in Maryland.

But, if you have your own horses and you're just looking for a place to trailer so that you can ride there are a bunch of options in Calvert/Charles/St. Mary's/ and Southern PG.

Let us know which it is and we'll start posting!

ElliesMom

oh you need to come ride with some of the organized trail riders, there are some cool people out there that 'just trail ride'.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
In Calvert you can ride at Kings Landing Park, I know there are marked trails, but I'm not really familiar with them. Apparently you can also ride off of Smoky Rd in Huntingtown, but I'm not sure where on Smoky.

Over the 231 bridge in Benedict you can get a membership for Maxwell Hall. There are multiple different trails and a number of forum members have ridden there.

Just outside Upper Marlboro in PG county you can ride at Rosaryville State Park. Lots of parking and marked trails. Bikers and hikers use this park too.

In St. Mary's a popular trail riding place is St. Mary's River State park. It has a trail that loops around the lake. The trail is about 7-8 miles long, mostly wooded. There are quite a bit of roots at times and occasionally downed trees. Creek crossings and some bridges too. Bikers and hikers are out in good numbers when the weather's nice, but most people are really nice and follow the law of tonnage.

Greenwell State Park - St. Mary's Co. I haven't ridden here, but our dressage chapter had a cookout here and I noticed that there are marked horse trails.

Oakridge Park - Hughesville - Charles County. 2 riding rings and water are here, but there is also a small trail network with at least one bridge (optional). No fee, but remember to sign out on the board.

I know there are more...I hope some regular trail riders post!

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
In Calvert you can ride at Kings Landing Park, I know there are marked trails, but I'm not really familiar with them. Apparently you can also ride off of Smoky Rd in Huntingtown, but I'm not sure where on Smoky.

:howdy:
I have never ridden the trails off Smoky Road but have heard of them.
SMTR would really love to find a place in Calvert County to ride. If you know of anyone that might have some property and want to host a trail ride please let me know. We have a couple of new things working in Charles County and a possibility of a new farm in St Mary's County but never anything in Calvert:frown:.

fredsaid2

:howdy:
I have never ridden the trails off Smoky Road but have heard of them.
SMTR would really love to find a place in Calvert County to ride. If you know of anyone that might have some property and want to host a trail ride please let me know. We have a couple of new things working in Charles County and a possibility of a new farm in St Mary's County but never anything in Calvert:frown:.

Have you tried speaking with Crofton Briscoe at Cage Stables (410-585-0801)? It's a beautiful property, perhaps he'd work something out with the club.

Martinigirl

I use to board there. The trails are marked and if I recall correctly they are marked by riding skill level too. He's usually generous. Let me know what he says please.

Martinigirl

Thanks for all the information. Sorry I'm just getting a chance to get back on the computer. I'm a little behind on the reading. Didn't know there were so many places to ride. Now my big problem is transportation. I also didn't know about SMTR. I will have to check to see if riding on the beach over where I live is allowed. I know one lady that has horses, rides down there, but I've never seen a group. I live in the Dares Beach Community. The beach is 3 blocks away from me. There is a large parking lot that connects to the beach as well.

2baymares

What about Calvert Cliffs State Park? I've never seen anyone riding there, but always wondered.

I've ridden at the Cliffs. Great trails. Be sure to stay off main "people path" but the 2 outer trails are good. one of the trails has a very long bridge. Use caution on that one. Park Ranger discouraged us from taking horses right to the Cliffs...but we accidentally ended up there. Now that we know that was the trail to the Cliffs we will try not to do that again.

All in all it was a cool ride. Limited trails. Limited Parking. Basically park where the Buses park. I would not go there in prime season.

Trails at Smokey Road are good too. Parking is limited.