i need some opinions

bhoffman

we are putting up a section of electric fence and i was wondering if people prefer the rope or the tape for horses? if someone could help me out that would be lovely.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
bhoffman said:
we are putting up a section of electric fence and i was wondering if people prefer the rope or the tape for horses? if someone could help me out that would be lovely.

I like the electro braid which is more like rope.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
A few opinions:

Don't cross streets while looking the other way.

Eat the frozen end of the popsicle... not the wood.

If you fart in an elevator... act like your kid did it.

If an airplane crashes into your house and kills your wife and crushes your nice new big screen tv, the appropriate period of mourning is one week... then you can get a new big screen with the insurance money.

Men touching men inappropriately is only okay when no other men can find out.

If you look into your alphabet soup and see the message, "Repent - Love, God" everytime you shake the bowl... stop eating alphabet soup.

Sex in a public bathroom should always be followed by the appropriate pleasantries: five dollars on the toilet basin, a slap on the ass, and a "See you next week, Chuck."

Eventer29

I prefer the tape. We have used both and have gotten some nasty rope burns/cuts from horses being chased through the rope fence. They dont bother the tape much, but on the occasion that someone ends up going through it they have not been hurt. We use a wide tape (2" I think) on top and a thinner 1'? tape on bottom. If they get caught in the thinner tape it usually breaks, if the insulator clips dont break off first. To me its better that the fence breaks than the horse. That rope does not break, very strong stuff.

Robin

:yeahthat:
We just put up 18 acres in electric tape. More visible to the horses. We used the thicker 2 inch to go through the woods on the top and the smaller on the two bottom lines. The deer see it and go over or through it with no disturbance or breakage to the fence. I would think the polyrope would be close to the high tensile. esp the thin strands. I know of some folks use the polyrope inside wood fence to protect the boards from horses chewing.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I have 4" flex on the top rail, electro braid, 1" flex, electro braid and last 1" flex. So far it is working out fine. I do know of a horse who cut himself bad on braid alone.

bhoffman

electric tape

where is the best place to buy white electric tape anywhere local or should i just order it?

Robin

Stauffers Feed Mill can get the tape I (Canter-Lope) can get the tape and Elam at Loveville Leather. You can order it on line thru Jeffers or Valley Vet .Hatchers in Huntingtown has it in stock... Have fun it goes up easy and quick You can use wood posts or t posts, that will be the work putting those in the ground.

Tazgirl

Eventer29 said:
I prefer the tape. We have used both and have gotten some nasty rope burns/cuts from horses being chased through the rope fence. They dont bother the tape much, but on the occasion that someone ends up going through it they have not been hurt. We use a wide tape (2" I think) on top and a thinner 1'? tape on bottom. If they get caught in the thinner tape it usually breaks, if the insulator clips dont break off first. To me its better that the fence breaks than the horse. That rope does not break, very strong stuff.

I agree with Eventer, we have the wide tape on top a 1/2 in the middle and the 1" on bottom. Much safer for the horses.

2baymares

bhoffman said:

1/2 inch white tape is best. It's lightweight, durable and very visible from far distance. Because it's light, it does not put much stress on the insulators to pull it tight. It has a clean look and small enough to allow the WIND to pass around it without stressing it. I find it easy to handle, cut and tie when needed. (Try tying the rope or thicker tape - its difficult and looks bad).