I think I've been 12-stepped on

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
A couple of weeks ago I got a friend request from my 8th grade boyfriend. Haven't seen him since 9th grade because he moved away. So, I accepted, WTH :shrug:

He just apologized for being mean to me after we broke up....we were 13, maybe 14...it was almost 30 years ago. I barely remember, but the more I think about it, the more I remember, including that at times I was just as mean to him.

I know that the whole apology thing is supposed to make 12-steppers feel better, but it makes me feel totally creeped out.

bcp

In My Opinion
A couple of weeks ago I got a friend request from my 8th grade boyfriend. Haven't seen him since 9th grade because he moved away. So, I accepted, WTH :shrug:

He just apologized for being mean to me after we broke up....we were 13, maybe 14...it was almost 30 years ago. I barely remember, but the more I think about it, the more I remember, including that at times I was just as mean to him.

I know that the whole apology thing is supposed to make 12-steppers feel better, but it makes me feel totally creeped out.

You should send him a nice bottle of Capt. Morgan to show there are no hard feelings.
It would be a nice gesture on your part.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I don't get the connection between having to apologize to everyone in your life and putting the damn bottle down..

You want to put the bottle down, just PUT IT DOWN! Grow a set and do the right thing.

toppick08

Better than 12 inched...:shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't get the connection between having to apologize to everyone in your life and putting the damn bottle down..

Because alcoholics do a lot of damage to those around them, and acknowledging that is an important step toward recovery. It's part of that denial thing they try to weed out of you in treatment.

Not sure what an 8th grade girlfriend has to do with it, but if it makes him feel better, what the heck. My take was that he's trying to hit on her. :shrug:

Dymphna

Not sure what an 8th grade girlfriend has to do with it, but if it makes him feel better, what the heck. My take was that he's trying to hit on her. :shrug:
He MAY have been into drugs as early as that time. I know if he wasn't he was shortly after that. I thought he may have been thinking about hitting on me too, because he'd comment on a post here and there, but this was just creepy and as soon as he did it, he went offline, like now it was over he could leave.

Because alcoholics do a lot of damage to those around them, and acknowledging that is an important step toward recovery. It's part of that denial thing they try to weed out of you in treatment.

Do I need to invite him to go hunting with me and Dick Cheney?

Dymphna

Thing is, as I recall, it was just some adolescent name calling. He stole my homework one time, but I was such a goodie two shoes, I didn't even get into trouble for not turning it in. Later when I found out he did it (he claimed he saw someone else do it, but the story was too bogus and he got caught in the lie), he got in trouble with MY teacher, even though he wasn't in my class.

TurboK9

He MAY have been into drugs as early as that time. I know if he wasn't he was shortly after that. I thought he may have been thinking about hitting on me too, because he'd comment on a post here and there, but this was just creepy and as soon as he did it, he went offline, like now it was over he could leave.

Or maybe it cost him his last girlfriend/wife, and he's looking for a little something-something to replace it.

Alchoholics and druggies don't always turn into nice, trustworthy people with no selfish motives when they 'clean up'... sometimes they are jerks without the assistance too.

Just sayin'!

:lmao:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Watch an episode or two of this.

Addicts turn into users and abusers of many more people beyond themselves. Addiction is a disease, so they can't simply walk away as the rest of us might.

Dymphna, did you unfriend him, or do you plan to?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well I BELIEVE that alcohol doesn't change who you are, it only amplifies the personality that you already have.

If you're a drunk axxhole, you were one before you drank, and you'll still be one when you're sober.

Like the excuse.. "He's not a racist, he was drunk!!" If someone goes on a racist rant when they are drunk, they REALLY are a racist, they just don't have the cajones to say anything when they are sober. You don't magically become something you aren't because you've got a little alcohol in you. Alcohol just helps the rest of us see who you really are.

lovinmaryland

Thats what I am thinking... he wants some of the goodies :dye:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
When I quit smoking many years ago, I realized just how awful smokers smell. So I went around to my favorite coworkers and apologized for smelling like an ashtray in the past.