I Used To Be Conservative

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As I write in my new book, “I Used To Be Conservative: Confessions Of A Conservative Who Used To Be A Conservative Who Used To Be A Liberal,” “I could no longer be a conservative, because being a conservative could no longer be an option.” How true that is.

The conservatism of today is not the conservatism it was when I was younger, nor is it the liberalism it was when I was middle-aged. I can no longer sit idly by and pretend that what I once believed is what I believe now, or that anyone else should believe it. Or not.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/12/05/used-conservative-not-anymore/

The Principals of Conservatism have not changed, what HAS changed is 'The Party' and Politicians that claim to be Conservative and what THEY are willing to so support

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
As I write in my new book, “I Used To Be Conservative: Confessions Of A Conservative Who Used To Be A Conservative Who Used To Be A Liberal,” “I could no longer be a conservative, because being a conservative could no longer be an option.” How true that is.

The conservatism of today is not the conservatism it was when I was younger, nor is it the liberalism it was when I was middle-aged. I can no longer sit idly by and pretend that what I once believed is what I believe now, or that anyone else should believe it. Or not.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/12/05/used-conservative-not-anymore/

The Principals of Conservatism have not changed, what HAS changed is 'The Party' and Politicians that claim to be Conservative and what THEY are willing to so support

Read that as well. So sublime that it was hard to realize it was tongue in cheek. Really funny. Really on target.

Agree. Some folks who claim to be conservatives turn out to be nothing more than opportunists. In one such case, glad to see "The Weekly Standard" suffering as a result.

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
Still, I must align myself with those who are realigning themselves. My new principles will be just as principled as my old principles. Principally. I will remain critical of those in power while also seeking to curry their favor and get invited to their holiday parties. Perhaps I will find the conservatism that I thought was no longer conservative is actually still pretty conservative.

Love this bit...